• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stolen Bag and Discs on Ebay?

I'd love to see this end with a pic of that D-bag thief in cuffs. Way too often does stuff get stolen, and rarely, if ever is the thief caught and you get your stuff back. And remember whether or not the guy selling is the actual guy that stole the bag or not, being in possession of stolen property is also a crime. From Canadian law:

What is the offence of possession of property obtained by crime?
The offence of property obtained by crime is made up of two parts. First, a person charged with this offence must be in possession of property that was (or was partly) gained by theft, fraud, or any other crime. Second, the person must have known that the property was stolen or gained by fraud. Also, if the Crown can show that it was obvious that a reasonable person would have thought the property was stolen and the accused failed to investigate whether it was stolen or not, he can be found guilty of possession of stolen property.

If a person is found in possession of something that has recently been stolen, they may have to provide an explanation for why they had the object to avoid guilt.

The Criminal Code definition of Possession of Property obtained by Crime
Section 354 of the Criminal Code describes the offence of possession of property obtained by crime. It states that a person is in possession of property obtained by crime if that person has the property in their room, their home (if the person does not share their home), in their car, or on themselves. Even if the original owner cannot be found or no owner can be identified, a person can still be charged. Also, where the act of theft and the possession of stolen goods are done at the same time, the person cannot be convicted of illegal possession of the same things. The punishment for being found guilty of this offence is the same as for fraud.

The Criminal Code definition of Fraud
Section 380 of the Criminal Code defines fraud. This section creates two possible charges: Fraud over $5000 or involving a testamentary instrument and Fraud under $5000. A testamentary instrument is either a will or a legal trust which a person has set up so that his possessions will be given to family and friends once he or she has died.

If the value of the fraud was over $5000, or involved a testamentary instrument, it is an indictable offence. If a person is found guilty of this offence he could be sent to jail for up to fourteen years.

If the value of the fraud was under $5000, and did not involve a testamentary instrument, then the Crown prosecutor will look at the facts of the case and decide whether to charge the person with an indictable or summary offence. If the person is charged with an indictable offence then he could be sentenced to a jail term of two years or less. If the person is charged with the summary offence of fraud under $5000, he can be fined up to $2000 and sentenced to a jail term of six months or less.

Whether the moron selling it is the original thief, or just in possession of and reselling it, he is screwed.

Internet Crime Solving - I LOVE IT!!

Muelen - great work! Same for all the other folks who helped out.

Muelen posted that this particular e-bay item smelled fishy, you guys checked out the PDGA site, reached out to the Ontario DG community, got the victim's phone #, verified with his friends that indeed, it was stolen out of his trunk and reported the item(s) as stolen to e-Bay...

All in about 3 hours!

Reminds me of the AT&T Lost Dog Commercial w/ Tyler Hansbrough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEInSyTHcpc

I have to believe Sean D's got some pretty rare plastic in that bag - not to mention the tags/mementos of tournies he's palyed in. Can't imagine how pissed he must have been to come out and find that gone.
I really hope this has a happy ending for him.

Kudos gentlemen. No matter what comes of it (I really am hoping for a happy ending) you did some amazing sleuth work and strengthened the disc golf community. Hats off to you.

This is the best thread ever. It should be stickied!

This all sound slike a perfect reason for every disc golfer to join dgcr!

Wow, this threat blew up overnight! Glad to see some of the local disc golfers from Ontario found DGCR. I'm sure Sean will find out sometime today and hopefully the proper steps can be taken so he can get his stuff bag. Thanks to everyone else who helped out on this

I'm going to have to sell all these Discraft misprints I stole from BillnChristy on Craigslist now.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Wow! Way to go Meulen!

I love this. Its like a "You mess with one of our plastic, you mess with all of our plastic" type think. Will have to stay more alert when looking at discs on Ebay and Craigs list. I bet this happens a lot.

This is awesome. It will be interesting to know if the guy that has listed Sean's stuff is the guy who actually stole it. I think this story is definitley going in the right direction to a happy ending.:D

I told my wife about this thread and she immediately threw her PDGA mini into her bag.

Way to get busted dumbass. I noticed it was stolen on July 1 too, I guess there is no statute of limitations on dumbassery.

Obviously the theif doesn't know jack about disc golf! lol. "Hey, I'll post up some pictures with all these cool tags and this cool mini frisbee with this number on it. I bet the buyer will think that is a unique little frisbee!" What a dumbass!!! This guy definitley deserves justice!

Latest posts