• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stretching?

One thing that helps me avoid shoulder pain (I suspect that arthritis has set in since I broke it.) is to take a disc and try to pull it apart with both hands. I'll start out in front of my chest, go up over my head to the back of my neck. I do this several times. After that I make easy few fake throws. If I do this before I throw, my shoulder can handle a round better.

Stretching has become mandatory since a shoulder injury put me out for 3 weeks last season. Nice weather in Michigan is too precious to give up 3 weeks because I didn't take 2 minutes to stretch.

I tried it, it sucked. I warm up by throwing nice and easy at first until I'm loose or else I will blood rush my fingers and grip lock it into the next county. I never had to warm up when I was 30, not sure what is happening to me.

Never (1958-2003)
Didn't matter---shoulder surgery, out of commission (2003-2004)
Always (2004-2011)

Nothing like an extended absence from the sport to change my perspective.

Nothing like surgery & rehab to convince me I'd rather take precautions than go through that again.

Now that I am always stretching before playing I am finding it is becoming part of my routine and helps me get into the game time mindset

My thought has been more along the lines of 'warmup to throw, don't throw to warmup'. Stretching cold muscles does nothing for you, really. Take a brisk walk or jog, or do some jumping jacks/etc to get the blood flowing, then stretch out a little bit.
That my understanding of what's best, too. Warming up is more important than stretching. Stretching once you have warmed up will help you maintain or improve your flexibility (which helps prevent injuries), but getting warmed up is what's immediately important.

26, no injurys or soreness ever and yes. i do extensive stretching and warming up before ANY time i play

Latest posts