• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Struggling

Just went and play a quick 9 and I had another rough day off the tees. Putting was inconsistent but I hit a few 30-40 foot ones. Driving I barely hit 200. I used my buzz and my banger a few times off the tee.
Not 100% sure how to put the videos up but here is the links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWTvjyhyWc0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWLUe8WFyeg

2nd video is all upper body sorry about that. I feel like I try to throw everything so hard and I end up overthrowing the discs and release is really late and it leads to AWFUL throws. Any tips?

There you go.

4 things I'm seeing.

1st, You are grabbing the disc with Your left hand on Your pull back, try keeping the left arm pinned down by Your hip.

2nd again with the left hand, You are keeping it out up in the air slowing down Your rotation. Again keep it pinned to Your side.

3rd, Your Plant foot (right foot) is angled about 45 degrees towards the basket, it needs to be 90 degrees or lined up with the front of the tee box. Anything forward like You are doing is causing Your hips to open up to soon, leads to grip locks, and effects your overall distance.

4th, Hard to tell but it looks like You are pulling across Your body in a C shape, when it need to be a straight line close to Your body. Once You get the hang of that the disc should be ripping out of Your hand.

4 things I'm seeing.

1st, You are grabbing the disc with Your left hand on Your pull back, try keeping the left arm pinned down by Your hip.

2nd again with the left hand, You are keeping it out up in the air slowing down Your rotation. Again keep it pinned to Your side.

3rd, Your Plant foot (right foot) is angled about 45 degrees towards the basket, it needs to be 90 degrees or lined up with the front of the tee box. Anything forward like You are doing is causing Your hips to open up to soon, leads to grip locks, and effects your overall distance.

4th, Hard to tell but it looks like You are pulling across Your body in a C shape, when it need to be a straight line close to Your body. Once You get the hang of that the disc should be ripping out of Your hand.

I don't really understand number 3. You mean on my initial x step?

Should I go buy a new Roc from a store around here and start using it and I think a local outdoor store might have a comet but not sure. I planned on picking up a comet eventually now for sure now. Rain isn't gonna hold off today guys :/

Look for a Play It Again Sports store in your area. They often carry discs, used ones. Also use this site to find a disc golf store near you, they often have used disc racks. Buying used discs just lets you learn a lot. Also a buzzz is a good learning tool I am finding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI&list=PLE9FAA3D1C0106C27
watch will's arm from like 3:20 on. You will you sit come down to his side like eday is talking about. Long story short it works like a trebuchet.

This is a little convoluted. Footwork is important and I do believe this kind of stuff is helpful. But don't worry about it right now. Just worry about general footwork and xsteppy stuffs. This will come later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nED7gcXobEo&list=PL7ohfY5EgiSACdOJESaJ2pXuMKWMUvlNq
I believe this talks about pulling the disc through. It isn't "Perfect" but it is a good starting point.

Also I like this vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q&list=PL7ohfY5EgiSACdOJESaJ2pXuMKWMUvlNq)
It doesn't break down everything but it just a good start for some stuff. The second guy starts out pulling in a big swoop. The form change makes his pull straighter but it isn't addressed.

One thing to note when you stop grabbing the disc is that you are going to figure out how to keep your throw line under your shoulders.

Tee-birds are going to fly a lot like avengers.
Not even close. Z Avengers are considerably more stable than Teebirds.

So I'm pretty confused why you should be dropping the Avenger for a Tee-bird. I'd suggest an X or D Avenger instead of a new mold.
Because the Teebird is slower and more forgiving.

Going to throw a bit tomorrow after work if the rain holds off and if not I am off Tuesday so I will be throwing alot then! Will keep you guys informed!

Something I noticed is that you throw with a lot of nose up (a problem I share with you).

Try to remember to throw with your wrist tilted down as if you were going to give someone a handshake.

Gflicks, there's one thing I want to mention. Alot of newer players believe that if they research technique and practice a bunch, they'll be able to throw 500' in 6 months to a year. Despite what some people say to encourage this belief, it's not always true. The rare naturals at the sport may pull it off, but many disc golfers work at it for 10-20 years and don't reach 400'. Like it's said with many other sports, some people have it and some people don't.

Now I'm not saying you won't be able to throw far. I just don't want people having too high of hopes. Always aim to improve, just don't be upset if you don't get X feet. And remember, if you get to where you can throw around 300' accurately, you can do really well on most courses.

Gflicks, there's one thing I want to mention. Alot of newer players believe that if they research technique and practice a bunch, they'll be able to throw 500' in 6 months to a year. Despite what some people say to encourage this belief, it's not always true. The rare naturals at the sport may pull it off, but many disc golfers work at it for 10-20 years and don't reach 400'. Like it's said with many other sports, some people have it and some people don't.

Now I'm not saying you won't be able to throw far. I just don't want people having too high of hopes. Always aim to improve, just don't be upset if you don't get X feet. And remember, if you get to where you can throw around 300' accurately, you can do really well on most courses.

That's really all I'm shooting for haha

Go on my lunch break into an outdoors store and they have a soft magnet for $6 and a Champ roc... Not sure exactly which roc it was but got it for $11. I have to stop buying discs.. Going broke!

Why do they all have Grooves?! lol

Anyways, I would recommend dropping the Nuke, Groove, Avenger, and Flick. Pick up a Teebird, Trak, or Volt to couple with that Leopard if you have to have a driver in the bag. Until you can throw the fairway drivers 350' you probably shouldn't be using the really high speed stuff as they mask form flaws.

Being a bigger guy doesn't mean you can throw further than smaller people. Just like traditional golf, disc golf is driven by proper form. If you don't believe me, go look at videos of smaller guys throwing. I am nowhere near your size (5' 10" 145 lb) and I max out a little over 500'. Don't believe me, ask Jay Dub, Old Bassman, Hipster, Harkeypuck, el Duder, or DyeingtoPlay to list a few. Get your form figured out then move to the big guns again.

See what internet distance people have caused us all to do? Either underestimate our distance or get references. Lol. Length and speed of pull, in my experience is what gives distance. lots of little kids MASH discs. Take the advice here, disc speed down.

See what internet distance people have caused us all to do? Either underestimate our distance or get references. Lol. Length and speed of pull, in my experience is what gives distance. lots of little kids MASH discs. Take the advice here, disc speed down.

Haha I am! Strictly Buzzz and Roc plus putters. Zone or soft magnet?

The Zone and Magnet are very different. You can get both and they will serve you well.

For strictly putting purposes, get the Magnet. The Zone is really overstable for an every day putter. It's better as an approach or driving disc.

Last edited:
I don't really understand number 3. You mean on my initial x step?

Sorry, I'm talking about when You plant Your right foot on Your last step before release. the 3 sec. mark in the first video of the two You posted. I'll see if I can find a video of the proper way to show You.

Also when it comes to throwing noes up. The best explanation on how to fix it I have ever heard is tuning a key in a door. Think about putting a key in a door lock with Your arm outreached, now turn the key with just Your hand and wrist to the right. When You do this with a disc in Your hand You will notice the flight plate of the disc looking way more parallel to the ground to slightly nose down. (nose being the leading edge of the rim)

Latest posts