• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suddenly throwing farther, but can't figure out why...

Lewis

* Ace Member *
Recently I've been going out to a course after work that has an open field on one end of the course. It's perfect for warming up or practicing before a round. Recently, I've been practicing my driving technique, trying to improve my range. For several weeks, I've been measuring my drives at around 270-300 feet, but suddenly, today, I was throwing consistently over 300 feet, and up to 350. Today was a windy day, but I was throwing farther both against, with, and across the wind, so I'd be surprised if that accounted for the change. I've also been tinkering with my grip, but not enough that I'd expect a 50 foot increase in my driving over night. Do other people have these strange experiences? Will I go back to throwing 285 next time I hit the park?

I have the same symptom often. I think it is the learning process for a new player such as myself. I normally throw around 250'. One day last week I was throwing about 300'. I thought great I figured it out now I can drive farther. All this week I've been lucky to hit 250'. Just have to figure out what I was doing that one day, practice and hopefully it will become a consistant drive.

I have noticed those same jumps in distance but it took a while before they stayed consistent. I have made the mistake of taking that new grip (or whatever has helped me get the extra distance) and would try to get more out of it. That breaks up the smooth and steady approach that works so well for me. So keep doing the slightly new grip and just throw like you always do and you should stay out there consistently. I really concentrated on technique this summer and probably added 75 feet to my drives.

You have the right idea.

If you want to improve driving distance (or any other aspect of your game), you need to balance time between practice and playing rounds. Practicing in a field has done wonders for my drive technique. Try to balance euqal time between practice and playing rounds for a couple months, and I think you will see a big improvement.

What did you change with your grip? It's possible that you changed something that gave you a nose-down flight and you weren't getting that before. That would give you a distance jump like that.

I read up on the power grip. Apparently what I've been using is called the pinch grip. I'll be less consistent until I get some more practice, but if Google Earth is accurate, I threw one about 400' today with a "three-fingered" power grip. It was easily the longest throw I've been able to measure, and it only carried that far because I hit the perfect launch trajectory, with just the right amount of anhyzer. Oh, and I was throwing from a tee pad that's about 10' higher than where it landed. Still, I'm amazed that a subtle change in grip can do this for me. I've never been anywhere close to dreaming of 400', in any conditions, before this grip change.

Latest posts