• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggestions for Disc elbow

Royden

Bogey Member
I have been laying low for two weeks as my elbow has been hurting something fierce. The two weeks have been good for my arm... probably not so good for my marriage. I am a little afraid to get back in the saddle again as i do not want this to be a permanent injury. So far anti-inflammatorys and rest. SO the questions of the day are these; Any of you guys been through this have any advise on rehab? And What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I don't think I can take sitting out for to much longer.

If your throwing forehand I would start throwing backhand. Lighter discs might be easier on your arm as well.

Throw with your elbow in tight to your body. Practice this by warming up your forehand with a belt around your torso and upper arm just above the elbow. This will force you to keep the elbow in and is a good drill for working on your snap/timing with the wrist extension.

could get a brace to prevent hyper-extension. tiger balm works wonders for deep joint pain as well.

"If your throwing forehand I would start throwing backhand. Lighter discs might be easier on your arm as well. "
Good point. I usually throw back hand

Get a compression sleeve to wear while playing. Ice after a round and rest. I have Disc Golf Elbow. I've had it since late August. The pain isn't as bad as it was but not all together gone yet.

In the few rounds I've played since, I don't throw all out. I've noticed less pain and better control and better distance.

Get a compression sleeve to wear while playing. Ice after a round and rest. I have Disc Golf Elbow. I've had it since late August. The pain isn't as bad as it was but not all together gone yet.

In the few rounds I've played since, I don't throw all out. I've noticed less pain and better control and better distance.

This is good advice. I had to take ~6 months off of DG (with that arm) for it to heal back. Be prepared, it might be awhile. :|

i lost all summer to tennis elbow. is this what you have? if it is, its a case for ibuprofen to reduce inflammation, and a brace. i finally broke down and got a cortizone shot too. and had to quit playing video games :(

Rest, rest rest, Ice rest rest rest. . ..

Once you are back on the course, concentrate on the follow through. As my body fatigues I found I didn't follow through as well and that was when I was hurting my elbow. (BH drives and high snap stand still approaches were main culprits). It also had to do with me coming out of my year off and jumping right into playing 10+ rounds a week.

Really don't jump right back on the course. Go out in the field and throw 5 drives, 5 short drives, 5 mid shots and 5 putters and call it a day. If there is no pain, bump it up until you are throwing almost as many shots (54 or so) as you do on the course. Take your time, elbow injuries really are serious.

<This goes for all of you with tendinitis, don't throw much untill ALL pain is gone. You are never going to heal properly and are ruining the tendons in your forearms >

Having done a little research... it turns out I have Golfers elbow. which primarily effects the tendons on the outside of the elbow Vs. Tennis elbow which is felt on the inner side of the arm. Thanks for all the feed back so far. Some schools of thought say that in order to properly rest the tendons I have to lock my wrist in place as apposed to an elbow brace. I can tell you I had a strap on my fore arm and I swear it did more harm than good. but that could have been more of me playing through the pain than the brace itself. Initially,I couldn't get over the call of the tee box, so I've been trying to apply the scientific method retro actively

i lost all summer to tennis elbow. is this what you have? if it is, its a case for ibuprofen to reduce inflammation, and a brace. i finally broke down and got a cortizone shot too. and had to quit playing video games :(

Tennis elbow is different from golf elbow.

Tennis elbow is when there is an injury to the outer elbow tendon.

Golf Elbow is when there is an injury to the inner elbow tendon.

The pain will also radiate differently.

Throw with your other arm.

This ^^

You might be surprised how well you can throw off-hand and when you comeback with your main hand you'll have another shot in the arsenal. My budy hurt his shoulder and had to play left handed for 6 months. I tried it with him and found I could throw 200' without much trouble.

I can tell you I had a strap on my fore arm and I swear it did more harm than good. but that could have been more of me playing through the pain than the brace itself.

Throwing while injured was the worse thing I did. I rested 3 days thought it was enough threw a round, didn't hurt so I thought it was better. 3 hours later I could barely pick up a fork. I rested two weeks, and have had very little pain since.

Those braces do help, I don't always wear one, but toward the end of a multiple round day or a huge course I may throw it back on.

My elbow has been hurting a bit lately. But with so few good days left to play, I feel like I have to play through it until I finally shut 'er dahn.

Spend some time smoothing out your technique. If you throw with clean form, you'll get a lot better distance with a lot less effort, that tends to minimize injuries and fatigue. Since I rebuilt my throw, I went from struggling to play 3-4 rounds in a day to being able to play 100+ holes a day for a week without any pain or soreness at all.

Latest posts