• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggestions for Disc elbow

I think I know what you're describing, and no, it doesn't aggravate the pain when I do it. I do think I strong arm my throws, and it's possible I'm gripping harder than I need to. What I've gotten from all this is that I need to improve my form, i.e. try to get the power more from the hips and shoulders and stop trying to get everything from my arm. I also may start doing some lefty field work just to see if I can at least get out and play. I don't want to push it by playing before I'm pain-free.

I'm pretty sure I'm a strong armer as well, I get a little more distance than you but not much, maybe 320 these days. One of the tips I got once from a great player was throw at 70-80% instead of a full drive. I never really put it into my game until I started having knee and elbow problems. I took all of the winter off a few years ago and when I came back I changed my footwork (to help the knee) and I started throwing at 70%. To my surprise I was throwing as far as I was before I was hurting with more accuracy with less effort, and zero pain. I also dropped my back swing lower and started leading with the elbow. This is just what worked for me but everyone's body is different.

Remember distance comes from being smooth and fast. If throwing the disc hard meant it went farther most of us on here would be world distance champions already. :p

My advice for anybody that begins experiencing this sort of stuff is STOP PLAYING YOU DAFFY BASTARD! These things are a pain in the butt to rehab so just lay off a bit and rehab it properly, it's not hard. Ice is your friend until you feel like the inflammation is gone and then you can work in the heat and stretching/weight resistance exercises gradually. An ounce of patience now will save you a ton of pain and sitting around later.

This.

I went through this last year. Really severe inflammation in the bicep tendon, bad enough that I went to see an orthopedist, who prescribed industrial-strength anti-inflammatories and LOTS of rest. Lots more than just waiting until it felt "okay", which is what I had been doing. I can't remember but think it was 6 weeks, but after that the elbow was fine, and I could proceed on to other injuries.

It's wintertime now so the perfect time to let it heal.

Thanks for all the solid advice, guys.

My plan is to immerse myself into the rehab, make it a point not to play before it is fully healed, and improve my form to reduce the load on the arm. Maybe even develop a 700+ rated lefty game.

I had tennis elbow from throwing a couple years ago. After some research, I started doing exercises to increase my grip strength. Wrist curls and reverse curls with a light dumbbell and using one of those spring loaded grip strength exercisers has helped get rid of any pain. I feel like the encreased strength has made me a better thrower by making my release a lot more consistent. Start with a really light dumbbell, like 5lbs. You will really feel it when you do the reverse curls. I do the exercises 3 or 4 times a week and it has been working well for me.

I've been dealing with something similar for a while now, but they diagnosed me with tendonosis rather than tendonitis. My injury is in the tendon that connects the biceps at the elbow. The difference as I understand it is that tendonitis is inflamation of the tendon, tendonosis is structural damage in the tendon. I'm exclusively a LHBH player with drives getting out to around 400-425, although I was working on a FH this season and that seems to have contributed to the injury (likely due to awful form).

Treatment options that the Sports Med guy I went to brought up were 1) rest it anywhere from 9-12 months to fully heal, 2) an outpatient procedure to remove the damaged tissue and promote healing, or 3) an injection of platelet enriched plasma into the injury to promote new tendon growth. Options 2 and 3 both have some fairly significant out of pocket costs, so I've opted for rest through the off season hoping that it'll take care of itself. I've played only a couple rounds since August and am planning on resting it through the winter, then easing my way back in once the weather turns. Also planning on using a compression sleeve when I start playing again (even have the cheesy Brett Favre Copper Fit sleeve because that's all I could find easily without going online).

^^ Interesting. I also had one of those Copperfit sleeves, and my Dr. told me that type doesn't really do anything to help, what I needed was a higher quality counterforce brace (but, I don't think we have the same affliction). How are you progressing after not playing since Sept.?

It seems to be starting to heal finally, back in September I couldn't even lift my laptop without fairly significant pain. That's gone and it takes decent load on the arm for that level of pain now. Still have some daily twinges and tightness, but feel like I'm starting to turn the corner with it, which is good because there's a lot of suck involved in not being able to play for this long.

Thanks for all the solid advice, guys.

My plan is to immerse myself into the rehab, make it a point not to play before it is fully healed, and improve my form to reduce the load on the arm. Maybe even develop a 700+ rated lefty game.

When I got "tennis elbow" over 10 years ago, I found out it was caused by overextending my arm/elbow on my putts. When you putt, is your arm/elbow completely straight and extended when you release? If so, work to keep your elbow bent throughout the entire putt. Your focus should be on the action of the wrist lever instead of the elbow lever. Relief was nearly instant for me after months of pain and the pain has never returned. Please take all internet advice with caution and I hope you feel better soon.

I've been told that having a balanced FH vs. BH game will prevent tennis/golf elbow.

Compresson on the afflicted tendon has always worked pretty well for me. Some ibuprofen before activity also helped the pain; not sure it helps the actual injury, though.

I've been told that having a balanced FH vs. BH game will prevent tennis/golf elbow.

Compresson on the afflicted tendon has always worked pretty well for me. Some ibuprofen before activity also helped the pain; not sure it helps the actual injury, though.

Re ibuprofen: I've found the same with it helping with managing the pain, but it's not recommended in the case of my injury. It turns out that anti-inflamatories actually inhibit tendon growth. So a good idea in the case of tendonitis, but a bad idea for tendonosis.

Agreed on the compression though, wearing the sleeve provides relief for day to day issues, and I'm assuming it will help when I can start throwing again.

When I got "tennis elbow" over 10 years ago, I found out it was caused by overextending my arm/elbow on my putts. When you putt, is your arm/elbow completely straight and extended when you release? If so, work to keep your elbow bent throughout the entire putt. Your focus should be on the action of the wrist lever instead of the elbow lever. Relief was nearly instant for me after months of pain and the pain has never returned. Please take all internet advice with caution and I hope you feel better soon.

This is very possible because in the last couple of weeks before I completely stopped playing, I was really starting to notice some pain while I was putting, but not really off the tee box. I do catch myself snapping my elbow at times (maybe sub-consciencely) when putting, and I was trying to putt with a smoother motion and follow-through (which I should be doing anyway), and there was no pain when doing that. I got a lot to work on when I get back, I want to be able to play this game until my arm falls off.

Latest posts