• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

suggestions for understable discs

pspunch

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking to add a couple understable discs to my bag, but have almost no experience with any of them...

what i'm after is a speed 9/10 disc to fill the spot. specifically a sidewinder or a roadrunner. i'm trying to find a disc that will finish right and not come back much, if at all.

specifically i'm asking, are there weight ranges that offer more or less lss (like how 169 destroyers feel more lss than max weight) that i need to watch out for? i don't want it to be very lss. and, what plastics are these discs best in? star/champ/pro/dx... would i be better off just buying a couple of each in dx plastic at different weights or are the premium plastics a lot different?

thanks for the help, fyi i throw tl's about 310, starfire about 350. and i wouldn't mind hearing about discraft/lat64 options

I feel roadrunner fades harder than a SW. DX is fine, but 150 class may flip into a roller on you.

what weights do you throw on drivers? Roadrunner is a good choice, I would recommend Star plastic. If you can throw SFs that far then the RR should be consistently understable for you. Generally lighter discs will have less LSS. Star Destroyers are Star-Lite (sp?) and are significantly more LSS but that is an exception not the rule.

The old school choice is DX valks. They take a little while to break in but are very good turnover discs once they do.

Vision. low 170s. I've found the GLs are a little more understable than the opto. The the opto sparkle is more understable than GL.

sidewinder is -3 /1 roadrunner is -4 /1

here

that is the link I sent you. It says they are the same, but look at the flight paths. it shows RR fading back harder.
I had a puddle top vision that was so understable I thought I would be able to use it and give up sidearm throwing all together.

Vision. low 170s. I've found the GLs are a little more understable than the opto. The the opto sparkle is more understable than GL.

Do yourself a favor and get a vision. I've only thrown opto and it performs for me exactly as you're looking for. Very easy to throw, very easy to flip...anyone I've seen throw one gets hooked.

that is the link I sent you. It says they are the same, but look at the flight paths. it shows RR fading back harder.

I don't care what the picture shows. They do not have that much LSS. Ask anyone that throws them.

Avenger SS ESP and/or Vison, I had a GL Vision 175g and it flips with no chance of coming back to a point that if you want to put it on a line its hard to do (too flipy). I have heard that the Optos are more stable. Avenger SS in ESP is what I curently cary and have great luck with it. I had a Z and it had more fade at the end. Hope this helps.

You could try a Pro Beast. I love those things for anhyzers (I usually just used a beat to hell Star Beast)

I feel roadrunner fades harder than a SW. DX is fine, but 150 class may flip into a roller on you.

I'm leaning sidewinder now. I hadn't seen the pic on innova's site, that's interesting and good to know, almost went RR because of the -4 but it does appear to have more fade in the diagram.

someone had asked what i throw for driver weights, 172 or max weight on almost everything.

Star Roadrunner. Great for low ceiling straight shots, throw it anhyzer and it will never come back.

I use 170 Grip and GL Visions and a 163 Champ RR. The RR leaves my hand on a straight line and gradually fades gently to the right @ 300 ft power. I have a 167 GL River that does the same but the RR is easier to control and flies on cleaner lines. The Vision, if released right, will keep fading right for you. if thrown too hard or OAT'ed, the Vision will roll.

What about a TD from Discmania?
TD is more of a straight driver usually, currently rated at -2 turn, +1 fade instead of the original -4 and +1 (those were only the preliminary numbers). But the softer S-Lines are definitely worth a try, max weights usually are more consistently on the soft and understable side. They won't turn all that much at first but they hold anhyzers really well, and when you beat them enough they turn more and still stay consistent.

Personally I love the dead nuts straight stiffer S-TDs, usually found at around 170-172. They start out neutral, very little turn and very little fade, and beat into understable, so you get a lot of life out of them.

C-TDs are also great. The normal rimmed tend to be the least stable TDs out of the box, the slant rimmed newer runs are usually straighter. Both are great discs for different purposes.

For an out of the box flippy TD you can't go wrong with a D-TD.

Latest posts