• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Summer Sun: Sunglasses, Hats, thoughts

When the sun is out do you wear:

• Sunglasses

Votes: 37 15.2%
  • Hat

Votes: 84 34.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 31 12.7%
  • Both

Votes: 92 37.7%

• Total voters
In summer I wear an old straw cowboy hat. (I wish I could find another just like it.) As for glasses, I need them just to see the basket. I just put on a set of clip ons.

I wear a hat occasionally. I just bought a pair of Oakley Whiskers on Saturday and I am waiting for them to get here (Priority shipping isn't fast enough!) but I have a feeling I won't like playing with sunglasses on. I will find out soon though!

Rarely am I not wearing sunglasses. Almost never do I wear a hat. I guess I'd rather tan my hide than my fry my retinae.
I wear a pair of polarized Maui Jims and I've never had a problem with parallax error, i.e. distortion from the lens. A pair of gas station sunglasses will definitely maximize the effect. Those things are crap.

Rarely am I not wearing sunglasses. Almost never do I wear a hat. I guess I'd rather tan my hide than my fry my retinae.
I wear a pair of polarized Maui Jims and I've never had a problem with parallax error, i.e. distortion from the lens. A pair of gas station sunglasses will definitely maximize the effect. Those things are crap.

it might be a normalization thing too, its just that i do most of my putting practice during the nighttime when i HAVE time and i play during the day (obviously) so theres a slight difference:wall::wall::wall:

Hat always, sunglasses on or off depending on shade/sun, hunting for discs, eating, etc.

I'm pretty sure I never walk outside during daylight hours without my sunglasses. That being said, having both a hat and sunglasses just seems redundant, so I never wear a hat.

typically i don't wear a hat or sunglasses. Most times when i play if I wear a hat during my round i will usually by the end of the round be starting to overhear and feeling ill by the end of the round. since i wear glasses the only sunglasses i can get were clip-ons and those are annoying if you have to keep flipping them up and down so i don't wear them most times.

sunglasses fall off and break. Hat all day. Helps the sweat not go in my eyes.

Always a hat rain or shine. Keeps the rain off my glasses and the sun out of my eyes.

I had a problem playing outfield as a teenager when I wore oakleys. Had the same experience of viewing the world through a fishbowl.

For disc golf I wear a Detroit Tigers hat and cheap gas station aviators.

Sunglasses can mess with depth perception. I will usually gun for neither or hat, sunglasses for when I wanna look fly.

I had a problem playing outfield as a teenager when I wore oakleys. Had the same experience of viewing the world through a fishbowl.

For disc golf I wear a Detroit Tigers hat and cheap gas station aviators.

Aka the unibomber look ;)

Both. I usually don't shower before I play so my hair is all nappy. Plus I sweat a lot and the hat keeps it out of my face. Sunglasses are necessary if it's sunny out. Just like with your skin, UV damage to your eyes is cumulative. I also have a choroidal nevus (freckle inside my eye) and minimizing UV exposure to it will also help minimize the possibility of it getting malignant. I've never had problems with depth perception or finding discs with regular or polarized sunglasses (at least it's not worse than when I don't have them on). You can always take them off when looking for a disc if you think they're making it more difficult. Polarized lenses make finding discs in shallow water easier, too.

I wear oakleys and a military style boonie cap.

I wear the hat because I'm starting to get sun damage on my forehead, and it looks pretty crazy...so I'm trying to avoid getting skin cancer.

boonie-hat-acu.jpg

I hate encumbrances of any kind when playing. I'm the guy that's out on the course in the dead of the New England winter wearing jeans, a sweatshirt, and maybe a glove on my left hand while running in place to stay warm. Coats, hats, shades, etc. all just get in the way and make the game frustrating.