• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

super sekret teqniques

turso said:
I wish it wouldn't cost so much to call to the states from finland ;P

Use Skype to call Blake on his phone (costs little) or on his computer (costs nothing).

I might need to make a stop by GGGT next Friday and pray that you're there hah. (Or make Dan meet me somewhere and spill the secrets).

I almost wish I hadn't been filming at the Stockholm Disc golf Open and the Scandinavian Open (a PDGA major) so that I could have noticed this and Skyped up Blake. I have my eye out for this super simple throw far and stroke long improvement. Because I'm not bald yet those two will do :mrgreen:

I managed to get a quick practice session in this afternoon in between thunderstorms. I didn't see good results mainly because it's a field I don't have mental/visual distance markers for yet. i will say it caused me to yank my thumbers low even on low power. but my thumbers aren't great to begin with. my FH throws were junk as usual. I think I was too focused on trying to dodge lighting with a trashed shoulder. I need more practice overall and I'm gonna give this another shot. I'm not giving up. watching a doubles partner throw a Leopard 420 gives me the green eyed monster.

the super sekret teknik did however get my wife to double her distance from 50 to 100ft. sorry Blake I spilled the beans to my wife, but her results are very promising.

I learned (by myself) a new technique for FH and with it threw a TB 400' on a line drive...past my d drivers...

i haven't had much time to work with a lot of this lately (i still haven't gotten back to those that have given feedback).

what i am noticing so far is:
increased accuracy in hitting lines
straighter flights (less turn, less fade) due to more nose down and spin
less effort needed for slightly more power than before

the big power jump i was hoping for hasn't happened, but i am firmly convinced i can teach anyone to throw 250'+ sidearm in under 5 minutes and they can throw pretty much anything that way (even broken in understable discs).

still trying to work with a local on this and have plans to on thursday.

Even if it doesn't lead to more D in the short term the benefits you listed sound lovely! I'm patiently waiting for more info!

I can throw about 275 RHFH but I've been thinking about learning a LHFH. Think this technique would help me learn that quicker?

keltik said:
Iman522 said:
I can throw about 275 RHFH but I've been thinking about learning a LHFH. Think this technique would help me learn that quicker?

what? why not just throw RHBH?

I can RHBH about 350 with a JLS and about 375-400 wtih a PD but I sometimes (ok fine alot of times lol) get into some spots where if I can't follow through backhanded and can't get much of a throw off forehanded. While there are often times other ways to get out of the shots I just see the LHFH helping me get out of trouble a little easier.

Yeah, FH seems to me like it'd be infinitely more useful when you have limited space.

I don't know...I feel like a short snap, little/no follow through with a RHBH is still tremendously more trustworthy for me than a LHFH

holyschemp said:
I don't know...I feel like a short snap, little/no follow through with a RHBH is still tremendously more trustworthy for me than a LHFH

you do not get the reach though

True but I'm so skeptical about anything to do with my left hand that I feel for me to trust that shot, it'd take a significant amount of time--time which might actually be better spent elsewhere. Personally I'd cut my losses and practice other things, but I'm certain over the long run it'd be nice having a LHFH in the bag.

Looking forward to seeing the info on this. My left hand forehand struggles a lot, and increasing my backhand from 380ish would be awesome.

it's still not ready to go live :(

i did a 2 hour hands-on lesson yesterday with this... and it reiterated a few things but also provided a bit more insight.

to spill a bit more on the technique... it's basically teaching people how to shift the weight of the disc. it's partly inspired by brad's video of his modified disc (with some heavy modifications) and teaching my girlfriend high speed cornering techniques in a car :p

the upside is that it's a completely intuitive feel-based technique. basically, you do a few motions to get the feel for shifting the weight of the disc with the correct timing and with a lot of force. if you do it right (it's obvious when you don't), all of the necessary body positions and timing for throwing far happen. if you f up the body positions the timing/feel won't happen, so if your goal is the feel, everything falls into place.

so far i am 100% confident in:
-anyone can learn a 250'+ sidearm in under 5 minutes.
-you can learn to hit perfect lines backhand at full power in about 10 minutes.
-you can learn an above average backhand roller in under 10 minutes.
-you will get tons of nose down.
-you will almost double the spin rate on the disc... i'm talking ~25-30 rps range. this with the nose down will achieve MUCH straighter flights.
-throw efficiency will show drastic improvement.
-you can throw an effortless 300' with a midrange.
-OAT can be eliminated easily on both sidearm and backhand throws.

the negatives:
-the big power jump i had hoped for just hasn't happened.
-while it's easy to obtain great results using hardly any reach back, a 10 degree shoulder rotation, and no x-step, it's still just as difficult to integrate a full motion throw with said technique. while it takes 10 minutes to learn the basic motion (and get a 300' midrange throw) i'm not sure how long it will take to work back from the hit to a full throw. read as: same problems as the right pec drill.
-it's somewhat hard on the bicep and wrist.
-it's extremely easy to feel the weight shift on anhyzer throws when gravity assists in the shift but it's more difficult to duplicate it on a flat plane and MUCH more difficult to duplicate it on a hyzer (when you are fighting against gravity).
-i haven't found the magic point to link the in-motion to the out-motion.

i know this is a bit cryptic but these are the reasons so far i don't think that it's ready for public consumption. if i get more feedback from the phone guinea pigs it may help shed some light on things.

my own results so far:
with 10 degrees of shoulder rotation, a right pec reach, no leg drive, and a half-weight shift from "centered" to forward (rather than back to forward) and 40-50% power exertion i have been putting rocs 300' on a bee-line. no turn, like 3' of fade, and they are carrying that far while peaking under 10' (which is quite a bit lower than i used to use to go 300'). line hitting has become comically easy. i can buzz the chains from 250' on 85% of my throws using a putter or mid. my anhyzers are leaving with 10-15mph higher launch velocity than my hyzers but they are so nose down i'm not picking up a lot of carry with them and it's tough to air them out using this technique.

the best result so far was that a friend i trained to reach 430' of power but had lost it (and was going 360') got his 430' back in 1 30 min field work session.

i will have more feedback monday night.

Blake_T said:
it's partly inspired by brad's video of his modified disc (with some heavy modifications) and teaching my girlfriend high speed cornering techniques in a car :p
I see what you did there.

Latest posts