• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

super sekret teqniques

in a perfect world things would have clicked immediately and i'd have another dozen students breaking 450'. alas things didn't turn out quite as i had intended.

i know the feel i am trying to teach for the out-motion on the throw, i just haven't found a way to teach it easily... if i could find a way, i'd be throwing 450' again :p

so... it's a work in progress that didn't quite live up to my expectations so far.

Blake,

If you haven't already, give Brad Walker the heads up on it. We'll be out playing tomorrow and I know if anyone can figure out how to explain something easily and correctly it's Brad. When we worked on the "Fling" disc, pec drills, pull lines, and wrist extension it made a drastic difference. Since I only get to play once a week my distance still isn't where I want. But the good news is I can still hit about 385-400' on a drive and it's all effortless.

Plus I just reeeeeeally want to know what the big secret is.

-Seth

Seth:

I tried calling Brad a few times in the past 2 weeks but he goes to bed at like 8pm and he didn't answer :p

Blake, you need to change your title to King of the teasers :lol:

hehe, well, i really made this post initially to get some guinea pigs (and was successful) as i thought i was onto the biggest teaching breakthrough i've ever had in terms of ease of implementation and power boost.

i'm going to keep working on this for a while before i really spill the beans as i don't want this to have the same kind of letdown as the quarter k or if you remember the unveiling of the segway, a year before it was introduced it was touted as "the greatest invention in the history of the world."

quick cheap plug,

we've managed to sell 5 email addresses so far and we're sitting $45 away from covering all the hosting/software-license costs on the back end. if people want to have an @discgolfreview.com email addy to help raise the funds it will free me up to concentrate more on this and less on trying to sell crap on craigslist :p

How much are the email addys? I might be able to afford one for ya.

I'm really curious about this. I've made some massive steps in power (up to 550' with bosses, 480' with TBs), but I think my technique can use more work. I'd really like to hear what the short game approach (where you said you're buzzing the chains so much) is about. Probably the same, but hey--I can use any and all help I can get...

Thanks for your hard work and teaching. I point everyone I see that needs help to this site. It's the best repository for knowledge of DG I know.

1 year = $7 for an email forward (forwards to an existing email account) or $25 for a full pop account. increments in between will yield multi-year forwards (e.g. $14 = 2 years of forwards).

Blake. We all appreciate your relentless pursuit toward finding greater and greater teaching techniques. I just wanted to say thanks. And I look forward to the extra distance once you iron out the wrinkles on this one.

Blake,

i was showing someone "something" today, just to try it out and to see what the hell, using your new teaching method, but added my own spin to it. i took him through the steps needed to feel the weight of the disc like you do, but i showed him something that could make you feel the weight of the disc more efficiently "as you are throwing it".

this guy is 350' and after i had him do this for about 5 minutes, he threw a Z Avenger 450'. He threw 5 more drives after that with Orcs that broke 460'. Then he lost it, I brought him back to it again, and then he continued to break 430' with Z Avengers and 460' with Orcs.

granted, this guy is an athlete and he may learn stuff quick and may have only needed a slight push but, i will work with someone tomorrow since i have a guy to teach and to get another perspective on it, even though this guy is pretty athletic as well.

I know, bad prospects here, but i am pretty convinced even the avg. Joe could do this, and i have made my own little interpretation on this from my own feel of my throw.

Dan,

you'll have to show it to me monday. don't forget about league. without you or jeremiah there i might just hold onto #1 for a 3rd straight week :p

how's yer sidearm comin along?

Blake or anyone does this out part involve moving the disc back and forth with the wrist alone and at the appropriately late time also pushing the rim of the disc with the last finger in contact with the disc? I "threw" a Rhyno like this stand still no arm motion just wrist and fingers flicking FH to arount 60-70'. Had I perfected a little later timing with more explosiveness and a flat release I think I'd had gotten at least 10' possibly 20' more. My wrist flick snaps harder than my BH wrist snap. More muscle training for FH direction than BH. Still in the beginning phases with BH.

I know that I'm rarely doing the wrist snap part on BH throws longer than jump putts. But I'm on the long side on those because that's the most accurate way for me to approach under say 150' but I can push past that easily with mids. I'm sure that I'd get a nice D boost when I can rely on consistency BH full force throws with the same kind of back to front flipping motion that has the "finger spring for drives" whatever it should be called on top of wrist snap (rare for me) and stopping the wrist at the proper time (hurts so rare and almost always mistimed). I know from experience that whenever I've tried to incorporate every piece I know I hurt my busted arm but I get rare great results. When my arm is able to take the added stresses I'm so all over this stuff to make it happen every time.

Today I twisted my ankle a bit so I was forced to drive stand still for a few holes. I definitely felt the disc pivot in my thumb lock. Something I rarely feel on x steps. In the mean time waiting for my muscles and tendons to strengthen I'm gonna change my plant step pivot into Climo etc. style. David Feldberg said my knee ain't gonna last long pivoting on my ball of foot. I use a brace now after twisting my knee. Espen Mjökkelgjerd a European Champion said that he doesn't remember how much more power that pivot gave in measurements of Öystein Carlsen but Espen remembered that the difference is significant. I'm glad I attended Feldy's clinic. I'm eager to heal properly to see how much more D I can gain before I get even slower due to age. I'm down the hill already in that department due to injuries all over the place.

masterbeato said:
Blake,

i was showing someone "something" today, just to try it out and to see what the hell, using your new teaching method, but added my own spin to it. i took him through the steps needed to feel the weight of the disc like you do, but i showed him something that could make you feel the weight of the disc more efficiently "as you are throwing it".

I know what you guys are doing...

You must feel the weight of the disc and swing it in a arc, just like any other stick or club. I already figured out the first half of the process in my last videos. It was missing the second half or the "pull out". The pull out is the equivalent of "hitting through the ball" in golf. Where you actually use the leverage muscle at the handle to to drive the ball the forward off the face.

My first videos basically showed the technique up and to the "slapping AT THE BALL", which you do get some gains just be creating the arc.

The arc of the disc around the wrist must have a finish where the line of the front of the disc is pulled back and the right, to literally force the back end of the disc around the wrist to the front of the wrist (all in a millisecond). It is accelerating the head of the stick by leveraging the handle in the opposite direction. You must pull back for the disc to jump forward...

No slip.
Wrist open.
Full power pull.
Very little speed required in...

It is a very powerful feeling. Very little body is required. Nate Doss has the most noticeable version of this I have seen.

masterbeato said:
I know, bad prospects here, but i am pretty convinced even the avg. Joe could do this, and i have made my own little interpretation on this from my own feel of my throw.

You've got to show me this next weekend when you're in town. I made some serious strides the last month (went from 300' max to 400' max) but the last week i've lost the touch, back to about 325' now.

Blake_T said:
Dan,

you'll have to show it to me monday. don't forget about league. without you or jeremiah there i might just hold onto #1 for a 3rd straight week :p

how's yer sidearm comin along?

haha nice!

my sidearm is hanging in there. the more i do it the cleaner it gets, still the same D'.

today I worked with a couple guys and have seen a significant amount of a distance increase.

"Segovia" on this forum and a buddy of his, his buddy was a little over 300' above avg. and i had him do this and a couple of his throws would have peaked at around 440' since he stalled out at 380' or hit the fence. Segovia was peaking power levels of about 450' in 10 minutes, and was snapping teh hell out of it,like 300' hardly throwing a mid.

maybe Segovia you could give us some insight on how it felt and how it is working for you (remember to keep the status quo - still keep it a secret!).

masterbeato said:
today I worked with a couple guys and have seen a significant amount of a distance increase.

"Segovia" on this forum and a buddy of his, his buddy was a little over 300' above avg. and i had him do this and a couple of his throws would have peaked at around 440' since he stalled out at 380' or hit the fence. Segovia was peaking power levels of about 450' in 10 minutes, and was snapping teh hell out of it,like 300' hardly throwing a mid.

maybe Segovia you could give us some insight on how it felt and how it is working for you (remember to keep the status quo - still keep it a secret!).

I actually just walked in from throwing some Teebirds around in a field again. I was pretty easily hitting 325'+ from a stand still just working on what Dan showed me earlier. I think once I can integrate it into a full throw more efficiently I'll be 400'+ without expending a whole lot of effort. I've heard talk about "feeling the weight of the disc" but I never really had first hand experience with it until today. Still a work in progress!

i have been "rethinking" my throw the past 2 weeks. a lot of what I have worked on is things similar to what Bradley talked about in his last post. not really sure how to describe what I am doing, but I do know I am seeing results. My Roc "distance" shots are starting to average 340-350ft and some even went 370+. I can't really tell/fell the difference in how I get from 350 to 370+, it just sort of happens. I think it has a bit to do with what Bradley said about pulling back to make the disc move forward. Been doing a lot of work with the towel drill and visualizing myself throwing a pen/stick/towel when I am practicing with a disc. Usually warm up with the towel drill until I hear what I think is the proper "pop/snap" a few times. Then mentally apply that same feeling to the disc asap.

can't wait to see what this thread produces. Every page has been a "mental" breakthrough for me so far. I have yet to really start cranking drivers since this new Roc distance, but I am pretty confident I will be breaking the 500ft barrier very soon. being able to read all the different input(to this thread) so far has helped me visualize the throw on a completely different level.

zj1002 said:
I think it has a bit to do with what Bradley said about pulling back to make the disc move forward. Been doing a lot of work with the towel drill and visualizing myself throwing a pen/stick/towel when I am practicing with a disc. U

Can someone post the link for the pen/stick/towel practice method? I cant seem to find it.

Pat said:
zj1002 said:
I think it has a bit to do with what Bradley said about pulling back to make the disc move forward. Been doing a lot of work with the towel drill and visualizing myself throwing a pen/stick/towel when I am practicing with a disc. U

Can someone post the link for the pen/stick/towel practice method? I cant seem to find it.

I will PM you so that this post can stay about blakes super secretness

Latest posts