• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talent Out Pacing The Money?

Small disc golf specific businesses might see a bump in business by sponsoring Joe Pro or running ads.

Like to the tune of hundreds of people, or perhaps thousands of new customers, if they're lucky.

NASCAR is a different animal, in regards to large corporate sponsors.

That is an audience of hundreds of thousands, up to millions.

Corporate sponsors are not going to see that in disc golf.

I wouldn't say that! It has to be something that appeals to the audience though. An example might be a hotel chain.

There are tons of people who play in tournaments that are out of town. They drive the day before stay one night the next day they play and drive home. I feel that if one chain say Days Inn sponsored disc golf and nobody else did then at the tournament venues the Days Inn would likely catch a lot of business while the Best Western up the street Wouldn't notice that the tournament was there. Then when the people who play DG go on vacation with their family they would be more likely to stay at a Days Inn then as well.

If it was something like a computer brand I don't see DG being a good place to advertise. I mean I don't think I would personally drink Pepsi if they sponsored me (I don't like their sweetner I can even tell when I get a Dr. Pepper bottled by Pepsico) but I might buy something like a Spalding headband or wristband over a Wilson if they sponsored DG.

I look at the "100" vs "1000" analogy as two different groups.

100 - Represents the current hardcore market. Advertising to them will probably not grow the sport. Lower risk, lower reward (due to only 100). Good group to advertise "disc golf specific items".

1000 - Represents a broader market reach. Advertising to them could grow the sport. Higher risk, higher reward (due to 1000). Good group to advertise a "belt buckle" or "shoes" or "generic sports related item".

You're not wrong here, but it seems that you're again leaving out the fact that the 1000 are not watching the commercials. Don't underestimate how well the mind can block the ads. This is exactly why advertisers are looking for engagement, not how many times the video clip played.

I wish the PDGA would somehow fund some of the better produced disc golf videos and pay to have them added to some of the more popular video channels for greater exposure.

So, I'm being a bit snarky here, but it's for a bigger point.;)

The PDGA already does fund disc golf media. In fact the commentators say it in every video on CCDG. I'd like to point out that you've missed that connection, but at the same time are arguing that viewcounts are more important. If that PDGA commercial + callout has slipped past you, you can imagine how the ads are easy to ignore right?

So, I'm being a bit snarky here, but it's for a bigger point.;)

The PDGA already does fund disc golf media. In fact the commentators say it in every video......

lol.. I get all that of course. I just think it would be great exposure for the sport to get in front of some of the more generic sports enthusiasts who may not have been exposed to disc golf yet. The market potential has to be bigger than we realize with all those frisbees flying around. Heck... I'm only a little over 5 years into the sport and I've been throwing whamos all of my life. lol..

lol.. I get all that of course. I just think it would be great exposure for the sport to get in front of some of the more generic sports enthusiasts who may not have been exposed to disc golf yet. The market potential has to be bigger than we realize with all those frisbees flying around. Heck... I'm only a little over 5 years into the sport and I've been throwing whamos all of my life. lol..

No doubt, the market has a very high ceiling. I think that's why you're seeing big brands taking us more seriously now. I don't think there have been many bites yet because of the market trends, moreso than any doubts about the legitimacy of our purpose or the fervor of the fans. It's just a time which advertising methodology is shifting to match the shifts in media trends.

Maybe I'm bordering on being an apologist here, but the one consistent thing I've been saying through the years is that if we continue to improve our media product, we become more attractive to more sponsors. People (not you) have shouted that claim down in the past but I think the proof is already in front of us.

As we continue to make more disc-golf specific formats and styles of media, the ways that advertisers can be involved, supportive, and effective with their message will all coalesce. Many will look at that moment, which is coming, and say "OMG we magically made it" but in reality it has been in the works for a long time.

I liken this to "skins" in eSports. Look at how game brands have managed to monetize a rather trivial part of a game in terms of competitive strategy, but it has been a huge hit. Now they're finding ways to advertise using that method (and others like it). While disc golf is still a physical activity with more traditional routes available (patches on shirts, influencer marketing, etc.) we sit on this hybrid of the physical and digital world. The question is, who will be the person or brand to leverage that unique position first?

Speaking to the exposure part, there's a dude on the new season of Big Brother who they showed playing disc golf in the little intro video they have of each person.

Too bad he's the nerdy dude in the house...they also showed him playing something along the lines of dungeons and dragons and said he's never kissed a girl.

So the real question is, which dgcr member is on the show this season?

Speaking to the exposure part, there's a dude on the new season of Big Brother who they showed playing disc golf in the little intro video they have of each person.

Too bad he's the nerdy dude in the house...they also showed him playing something along the lines of dungeons and dragons and said he's never kissed a girl.

So the real question is, which dgcr member is on the show this season?

Dire Wolfy??

Latest posts