• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Talking while on the tee pad....

Talking while throwing

• It bothers me when peolple talk when I thow

Votes: 74 44.6%
  • I don't care if people talk while I throw

Votes: 82 49.4%
  • I talk when people throw

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I don't play with people who talk when I throw

Votes: 7 4.2%

• Total voters
This is a BIG distraction for me.
If I throw while people are talking, it throws me off.
I try to be nice, but on the tee, I will stop and look directly at the persons talking until they stop. Doing that a few times usually cures them for the rest of the day.
During tourneys, I'll wear earbuds and put them in when I prepare to throw.

If it's a tourney round then it bugs the crap out of me. Call it A.D.D. or whathaveyou but focus is important especially when it's competitive. But most people in tourneys are respectfull and if they do talk it barely audible when someone is one the tee.

But if it's a 40oz kind of round then you're already impaired so shout away.

lebowski-opinion.jpg

Is it OK if I talk while I am on the teepad? That's what I thought the thread title was referring to.

Casual round: Everything goes

Tournament round: Shut up and don't play mind games with me.

I personally get so involved in my throw that you could blast an air horn during my step and it wouldn't affect me. That being said, I have a buddy who simply can't do a thing right without ball golf masters quality silence. So it goes both ways. If you aren't a dink, be quiet when someone is teeing off unless you know they don't care.

I don't like when people talk but I know it is inevitable. What I really hate is when it is silent and then they decide right before I release to say something. THAT drives me up the wall along with people who smoke cigs by the tee pad.

^^ Yep. I don't smoke, but cigs don't bother me.

I know talking is going to happen, it just sucks when it is always the same person(s). That to me is lack of respect/courtesy.

doesn't bother me. i like the atmosphere of a casual round to be just that--casual. talk all you want while I'm on the pad

Actually, it bothers me when I'm on the teepad and the conversation abruptly stops mid-sentence just because I'm about to throw. Personal preference I guess.

i don't mind if some talks while i'm throwing but only if they are talking the whole time. if they start just as i throw i screws me up. I try not to do it for others during league, but casual rounds we are talking the entire time.

It could bother me less if someone is talking while i'm throwing. BUT, it does screw me up if its silent and someone starts talking while your in the middle of your throw. If they are carying on a conversation when I get up to the teepad and I throw it is because it doesn't bother me. I try not to make noise when someone else is throwing though.

I was in a league final over the weekend and right when I was starting to come forward a lady that was near by yelled good luck to me.

It bothers me when people talk when I am throwing and it really bothers me when people talk when others are throwing.

I will occasionally let out an extended Taco Bell fart while somone is in their backswing but only in sanctioned events.

Bother-er or Botheree?

Talking while someone is teeing off (putting, etc) is a distraction. There's no question about it. The key question is how much do you let this type of distraction bother you? Because it's all up to YOU. The talker doesn't think about you (or he/she'd shut the hell up, right?).

I seem to remember a (ball) golfer talking about players taking too much time to play & how it really bothered some of the others in the group. In effect, the person being bothered by anothers actions has the problem, not the other way around. If you let it get to you, it may turn into a bigger problem (for YOU). The way to handle it is to ignore the slow player (bother-er) & focus on your own thing. That's why you see the other players in the group practicing their putting stroke while the one guy is lining up his shot/checking the lie, etc. Dont focus on the bother or you lose track of your own game. Roll with it. Let it go, etc. Dont get all bent/tense/upset/bothered.

It's all about courtesy/respect/etc. In a casual round all bets are off but I
choose not to talk while people are throwing/putting, etc.
Question for you: How do you feel about music while playing a casual round? I'm guessing you are against it? I love it! Especially some Bob Marley.

Im usually listening to music. dont hear much that way. I try not to talk while others are driving. BUT, people who are so gd anal about complete silence and lack of movement that they will stop their throwing motion, complain, throw a chitty shot, and then blame it on someone else piss me off.

Talking while someone is teeing off (putting, etc) is a distraction. There's no question about it. The key question is how much do you let this type of distraction bother you? Because it's all up to YOU. The talker doesn't think about you (or he/she'd shut the hell up, right?).

I seem to remember a (ball) golfer talking about players taking too much time to play & how it really bothered some of the others in the group. In effect, the person being bothered by anothers actions has the problem, not the other way around. If you let it get to you, it may turn into a bigger problem (for YOU). The way to handle it is to ignore the slow player (bother-er) & focus on your own thing. That's why you see the other players in the group practicing their putting stroke while the one guy is lining up his shot/checking the lie, etc. Dont focus on the bother or you lose track of your own game. Roll with it. Let it go, etc. Dont get all bent/tense/upset/bothered.

It's all about courtesy/respect/etc. In a casual round all bets are off but I
choose not to talk while people are throwing/putting, etc.
Question for you: How do you feel about music while playing a casual round? I'm guessing you are against it? I love it! Especially some Bob Marley.

I hear you on all that, and I agree it is my issue, and try not to let it bother me too much. That is why I posted this to see how others felt (seems pretty even at this point). I also agree with what others have said...if it is a constant distraction like traffic or a low volume conversation it's not a s bad as when it happens mid-pull.
I am alright with music and have played it myself, as long as it is not too loud and you can't hear it form the other fairways, as you then may be bothering somebody who is not in your group.

Hah - I love that it's basically half/half "STFU when I'm on the teepad" vs "I don't care". I honestly don't mind if people are talking to each other, but I hate when I'm playing with one of my buddies (who gets chatty when he's 'feeling good') and he wants to have a convo with me when I'm on the pad. Then again, we often spend quite a bit of time looking for his discs in the woods so I should have learned by now. He's a good guy, just not very good at DG.

That being said - I'm a huge fan of music (soft) playing while enjoying a casual round. When I was in Tulsa and stopped by McClure Park for a round, I met a guy out there who let me play through with him and was jamming some My Morning Jacket on his cellphone at a reasonable volume. Not only do I love MMJ, but the guy was cool enough to show the me the course - double awesome.

Last edited:

Latest posts