• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Tee Bird questions

Tony Koch

Is the Tee Bird all it's made out to be? Being a super straight flyer, this is the ideal disc I need but I have questions on it. Such as does it matter how you throw it for it to attain a straight flight? I throw RHBH. I've been playing a little over a year now and am starting to pay closer attention to weights as well. If most of my other discs range in the 170s should I stick with that weight for a tee bird? Any input is appreciated, thanks!

the teebird is a great disc. the reason being is because it is so straight with little fade at the end. there are not many discs like this; most have inherent "s" shaped flights of some sort whereas if you turn a teebird it's more angular and forward. a very "flattened" or drawn-out "s" if you will.

if you don't throw far, get a dx as it will be straightest overall.

if you have some power, the gstar will be. it's hard for me to find dx teebirds that have no flip out of the box so i keep them for hyzerflips and beat them into turnover discs; i throw my dx teebirds up to 400', sometimes a little more if there's tailwind, in the open field for max D. not golf lines. they go faaaaaar.

the gstar can really take some heat on a flat rip and hold the line with next to zero fade. they are the straightest for me out of the box, maxing at 450' with my distance drivers and about 400' with the gstar teebird.

if you want straight to reliable fade, the champ is very good. if you have a cannon i'd be willing to bet the champ or star is straightest. i have never thrown star but the champ is what i throw when i want a flex shot or zero turn no matter what; decent windfighter. these are not straight for me; rather they are moderately OS.

weight doesn't become a significant factor until you go sub 167 IMO. PLH rules all. if you want the most windfighting ability, get max weight. i usually only bother going max with my windfighters, and even then i don't really care.

Last edited:
Is the Teebird amazing? Yes.

Is the Teebird all it's cracked up to be? Yes.

Does it matter how you throw it for it to attain a straight flight? Throw it flat, it will fly straight and true.

If most of my other discs range in the 170s should I stick with that weight for a tee bird? Stick with the weights you are comfortable with.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will go with the DX model, have had many of those plastics and have had good luck with them. But I do have a champ boss and sidewinder that I really like too!

Champ TeeBirds are considerably more overstable than their DX counterparts. If you want a premium plastic, G* is the way to go. I would recommend one of each for when the DX starts to develop some turn.

I find Tbird to be generally nice and logical guy who is always willing to give out helpful info or call people out for being doodybrains.

So if I want a Tee Bird that will should be straight from the beginning and won't take time to wear in it would be a GStar? I don't have the farthest drives, and based off of what I was told on here the DX would fly straightest for me. I'm just a little confused because I want one that is reliable in being straight...

So if I want a Tee Bird that will should be straight from the beginning and won't take time to wear in it would be a GStar? I don't have the farthest drives, and based off of what I was told on here the DX would fly straightest for me. I'm just a little confused because I want one that is reliable in being straight...

I would get a g star and a dx, that's what I have in my bag. I don't throw far either.

LOL, my namesake beat me to an answer....<my real life nick name is jay dub>

:thmbup: :p Mine too.

How far do you throw? This is key to picking a straight for you teebird.

To some "I don't throw far" means 200....to others...350. Based on this you'll get a better answer. At 200 that gstar is going to be quite OS and not straight - but the DX will be money. At 350 you'll find the DX to have some turn and the gstar more like what you are asking for.

I love my teebirds, but I still use my beat in champ leopard for straight shots through the *heavily wooded tight assed fairways on my course if over 300ft long. i'll actually even use my midrange comet for those type of shots too.

* heavily wooded tight assed fairways are also one of the best ways to break in discs ;)

I have a recent Teebird story to tell:

I was walking home after playing a round and saw a yellow disc right next to hole 2. I pick it up and instantly know it's a perfectly beaten in 11x Teebird even though the stamp was worn down to almost nothing.

I flip it over to see if there's a name/number on the back (and was secretly hoping that there wasn't :p.) and see there are 4 different aces documented with dates and signatures written on the back.

I knew it was someone's beloved excalibur so I called the number (voicemail) and planned to leave the disc at our courses assigned lost and found area. But before leaving it I had to try it out...

I threw it at a 300ft slightly uphill open hole (with some crosswinds) and it went laser straight towards the basket landed 3 feet before the basket skipped up and hit the outside metal of the basket and then rolled 5ft away :eek:

Teebird question: How do Star and G*Star Teebirds compare? I mean mostly to their wear/durability because my beloved Star bird is getting beat and I think I need a freshy to keep some stability in my drives. I was just wondering if they season similarly, or if there is even a noticeable difference.

But damn does that G*Star plastic feel and look good!

Latest posts