• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee pad putter -vs- Putting putter?

Mercy for driving

Mercy and warlock sss for upshots...

S line P2 for putting...

Ever since switching from forehand to backhand, I use my putters ALOT more. It amazes me to think back and realize how unutilized my putters were in my forehand game. Backhand has opened up a whole new world of shot options for me.
With all the putter talk I've seen the past few weeks in the forums, I thought I would ask a question.

What do you use as your tee pad putters -vs- what you use as your putting putters?

For me:
Tee pad - I like to crank on ESP Bangers and Zones
Putting - Kc Pro Aviars and DX Glow Aviars

I'm just curious to know what others in the world prefer. :popcorn:

I just want to pointout that putters are amazing thrown forehand. Every player that has a forehand shot should flick putters, and everyone who doesnt should learn with them. Seriously, just go stand 100' from a basket and flick a stack of putters at it. They are soooo precise for anything under 200' or so. They can definitely be pushed another hundred feet or two but damn, approach distance fh putter shots are stupid accurate.

I use a stiffer Neutron Anode to putt with and a Soft Eclipse Proton Anode for drives. Sometimes I carry a light Neutron Anode for drives too on shorter courses but my worn eclilse is the go to for short drives. I throw my putters up to 375' bh 300' fh butusually throw them in the 300' and under range on the course. I love the Anode because it has crazy glide and excellent D but won't flip and laughs at mild winds.

Last edited:
Tee Pad and upshots = Challenger
Actual putts: APX

tee: kc aviar, aviar, zone
putting: kc aviar, aviar

I just want to pointout that putters are amazing thrown forehand. Every player that has a forehand shot should flick putters, and everyone who doesnt should learn with them. Seriously, just go stand 100' from a basket and flick a stack of putters at it. They are soooo precise for anything under 200' or so. They can definitely be pushed another hundred feet or two but damn, approach distance fh putter shots are stupid accurate.

i also throw backhand and forehand, but my fh upshots had always been super shaky up until about 3 months ago. i just practiced them a s**t ton until i was sick of it and it finally got comfortable once i learned how to keep my wrist in close to my body. you hardly need any movement or effort to flick one 100'. it has taken some strokes off my average at some of the local courses for sure.

I use a stiffer Neutron Anode to putt with and a Soft Eclipse Proton Anode for drives. Sometimes I carry a light Neutron Anode for drives too on shorter courses but my worn eclilse is the go to for short drives. I throw my putters up to 375' bh 300' fh butusually throw them in the 300' and under range on the course. I love the Anode because it has crazy glide and excellent D but won't flip and laughs at mild winds.

Over time it seems I'm throwing more and more of my shots from 150' and in FH w/my Anodes. I love how I can just stare down the basket the whole time and I never have to turn my body. I'm even to the point where some days I'm throwing FH on wide open 100' shots instead of BH.

For reference I'm opposite of Mike as I putt/approach with softs and drive mostly with the Neutrons...

I cannot overstate what Mike C and discspeed are saying. Approaching FH with a putter can be deadly accurate. Very little body movement and very easy to get the disc up to speed, especially when you are in trouble behind that one tree in the middle of the fairway or in a very tight corridor.

I point my left shoulder towards the target on shots that are 150' and in. It helps me keep my elbow tight on the hip and forces me to snap my wrist instead of heaving the disc with my arm.

Like discspeed, I too throw Neutrons for drives and Soft or normal Protons for putts.

KC Aviars for both. And to continue on forehanding putters, I find that if I use three fingers(as opposed to using two on my distance and fairway drivers) I have much better control and it is a shot that gets me out of trouble quite often. I see my buddies trying to power putt(overhead spin putt, whatever you call it) in situations where I simply use my forehand with far more consistency, control, and accuracy.

Teepad/Upshot: Pure
Putting: Pure

I used to use Ions, and I still like them, but the Pure is just very workable.

The short answer is Ion off the tee and Magic for putting, but I really use both for both depending on the situation. I also putt with a Gator if the wind is really nasty.

Teepad: Opto Pure, EZE Pure and Pro Rhyno.

Putting: Eze Pure and Pro Rhyno.

I FH my driving putters just fine for finesse shots and approaches.

I have been using my 172 soft "storm trooper" ions for both for over a year.

Off the teepad I throw my Pro Pig, but Ive been experimenting with MVP puttees as Pro Pigs have officially gone out of my price range.

For putting I like the XG Rhyno when its windy, and my Strawberry Edition (yummy!) Mercy when its calm or in a light tailwind.

My home course has a LOT of short holes (Cumberland Green, Fountain, CO) so Ive come to love putters from the teepad. Honestly, before I moves here I never even thought of driving with a putter. Luckily, a lot more companies are coming out with driving oriented puttees these days.

Teepad: Opto Pure, VP, Ridge, Summit, Sole

Putting: Any putter (I change up frequently - today was an Ion), but usually a Ridge or VP depending on the wind.

I find that all putters are accurate inside the circle. The driving / approach putter is the critical choice.

wizards.
my eraser is way understable. my superstupidsoft is understable/stable. my 3 softs are all still stable. my insanely stiff soft (with a concave top) is overstable.
what more could a man want?