• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee types

concrete if it's wet, natural if it's dry.

never played on anything else actually..

5x10 Concrete,Level with the ground,Rough finished(Push Broom Upside Down,Drag it lightly)
It's consistant wet or dry if done properly.Level,Lasts forever,Mowers can cruise right over them(If Reinforced Correctly)A little roundup once in a while and it's always gonna be predictable.
And there's NOTHING worse than having to Hop Up on a Tee Pad while running up.(Tulsa)
ESPECIALLY on a long hole while trying a 360,Doesn't work.
Having something at the end of the box is also a NO NO.
I don't like ankle snappers.Messes with my head.
Concrete rules.

Concrete - Looks nice, very low upkeep, lasts forever, and plays well is pretty much every weather condition!

I do like to wear cleats because it helps a lot when you are on the step hill or slippery ground like wet grass or mud. It feels firm when you make your approach/putt shots. But it never works on concrete tee pads. I had to throw it from either side of the pad but it doesn't help much because of the trees are being in the way. Had to find good hiking boots to make up for it.

"What are your favorite types of tee to launch from? I tend to prefer gravel tees."
I absolutely agree with that!
But I have a number of years of experience with maintaining the gravel tees at Tower Ridge and I also agree that "concrete rules"!
To build a good gravel tee, you have to clear to the bare ground, dig 6" down, put down a drainage bed under a 2x4 form, same a concrete tee. Then fill with a clay/gravel road bed mix (instead of concrete) and tamp it firmly. The tamping takes 2 guys trading off maybe 15-20 minutes. A power tamper can cut this time in half. Rake it smooth with a rake like they use on the ball diamond, and you have a wonderful tee for a week or three.
Now you go back with your shovel, rake and tamper and a bucket of your road mix about every 2-3 weeks for the rest of that tee's existence. (times 18!)
I wish it really were you and not me.
As much as I like gravel tees, and as much as I understand the cleats preference,
Give Me All Concrete Tees Please!

5x10 Concrete,Level with the ground,Rough finished(Push Broom Upside Down,Drag it lightly)
It's consistant wet or dry if done properly.Level,Lasts forever,Mowers can cruise right over them(If Reinforced Correctly)A little roundup once in a while and it's always gonna be predictable.
And there's NOTHING worse than having to Hop Up on a Tee Pad while running up.(Tulsa)
ESPECIALLY on a long hole while trying a 360,Doesn't work.
Having something at the end of the box is also a NO NO.
I don't like ankle snappers.Messes with my head.
Concrete rules.

I agree with you most concrete tee pads around here are too short for just a regular x-step and most you have to worry about stepping up 4 to 8 inches if you start behind the tee pad. IMO dirt tees are better than most concrete pads because concrete pads are rarely level to the ground or even close. The step up just sykes me out.

On this particular course, these block type tee pads work great. The course is mostly a pitch and putt. The pads stay remarkably level, they're no more slippery when wet than other surface. And they look damn nice, don't they?

Check out Corwall Park in Washington for others pics of block teepads.

i don't like concrete because it makes my knees and feet hurt by the end of the day. my favorite surface is the "grange grass" they have at the grange in spotsylvania, va. (and several other places nationwide) it is ball golf artificial putting green grass over top of crush and run.

concrete is a very simple, solid solution to teepads. I've played on a lot of different ghetto and nice teepads, and carpet/artificial grass teepads are easily the best two i've played on. They are rare to come by, but a nice level teepad with some artificial whatnot on it has just enough grip to let you throw with solid footing in any weather, but not too much that it won't let your feet spin. It's also very comfortable to throw from. The only problem i've ever had is when someone tracks tons of mud onto them. If people are simply somewhat considerate though, they will wipe their feet off at least a little. If there is a little mud on the grass/carpet, then i've found that it doesn't matter.

Concrete is my second favorite. It's definitely not perfect, but if you leave it rough on the top, then there is enough grip on it for most people.

rocks and bricks don't work well. Rocks are too loose, and bricks are far to slippery.

dirt works fine after it's packed in. It can get a little uneven, but that's not bad.

Concrete all the way. The only problem is I have played some courses that have very un-even or not level tee pads. One of my favorite courses, Sherando park, has a horrible tee pad on hole 16, it's not well made and it goes up hill. I do like rubber as my second choice.

If you want to see the worlds nicest tee pads, play giles run @ laurel hill park in Lorton, VA. Those tee pads are huge, level and roughed for traction.

Well-done concrete pads really are nice. Poorly done concrete pads are worse than nothing. I especially hate it when the pads line up at an odd angle away from the fairway or the basket. In my opinion, concrete pads should always aim down the middle, straight at the basket, or in the case of a dogleg, down the middle of the fairway. Anything else throws off a hole's feng shui.

I've never played on artificial turf tees, but I think this is a great idea, and a great middle ground for grip, durability, and portability. I wonder, though, how long it would hold up under the weather and years of continual use. Blisters and tears are nasty tripping hazards.

I'd also worry about the maintenance requirements for a clay pad. It would be more durable than gravel, but you can be sure it would get pockmarked and gouged. You can rake the holes out of gravel, or just pour more on top. It's not so easy for clay. But let me ask, are you envisioning red clay pads, or the kind of green, gritty clay one sometimes sees on tennis courts?

Everything around here is concrete so that is all I know. I don't think I would like a natural pad as much but it wouldn't stop me from playing a course.

It doesn't really matter to me. I don't seem to play any better one way or the other. I don't mind "natural" pads as long as they are nice and flat. I really hate when they are like small canyons or are littered with tree roots. The canyon ones are really bad after a rain.

Latest posts