• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee types

I really like big flat, not elevated , and well groomed gravel
I don't like the feeling that I am throwing off of something cause it gets in my head on my release that I may trip. I like a slab of wood to be flush with the ground and not raised up or down. Concrete can be good but can be dreadful too. I am tall and often concrete is too narrow or too short for me. Basically all surfaces are good as long as they are flush and huge.

I was wondering why the PDGA does not have a regulation sized concrete tee pad?
Every course use different sizes and shapes. I at was a course for the first time this week and it had 5 foot concrete tee pads. So I start off standing in the dirt/mud and drag mud with me during the run up. Needless to say my distance and control ending coming up short on the whole course. If only those tee pads were 6 or 7 feet long. Most parks dept's glance at the rules for guidance when setting up a course.

There should be a least a rule for a preferred size of concrete tee.

i like the look of the natural tee pads it makes adding a d.g. course into your park non obtrusive most people probally wont even know there is a course so they wont complain about it being an eyesore living in a concrete jungle throwin discs is about the only chance i get to be one with nature i dont want to see more concrete, but texas dirt stays pretty compact with all the sand and clay so maybe that dosnt work everywhere if only we could keep people from wearin cleets and digging ruts especialy when its wet. plus in the summer i like wearin flops cant do that on concrete

the flops i get from walmart have good tread but sometimes on a hard drive i drag my toes on accident which hurts on gravel but would be a bloody mess on concrete, the natural tees for me kinda keep the hippie part of the game alive not the extreme sport the pdga is trying to create, if i wanna throw a 1000 feet ill go to the airport

Get some flip-flops with heels. Like Tevas or Keens. That'll help.

Or you could get Chacos. I think Chacos provide better suppot than Tevas. I have only seen keen water shoes though and am not sure how they work. Chacos are made for serious use though and would be just fine for DG.

In regards to the tee question, I personally like a course that has uniform tees. As long as they are all the same I can figure out how to play off of them. I have seen natural tees put in a place where I couldn't get a run up and even a few the prevented a normal follow through. Give me a little space and keep all the tees the same and I am happy.

Yeah Chacos are a good brand too. The reason I thought of Keens is the closed toe box, as you see here. That would solve your toe dragging problem. With the added construction, they are sandals rather than flip-flops, but it's a similar concept. I honestly don't see how anybody is comfortable in "thong" style hell-less flip-flops. For closed toe flops, you could go with the ubiquitous Crocs.

I'm with the concrete crowd, but I may be biased because that is all I have played on in So Cal. I feel like I get pretty good footing and don't have to worry about slipping. Gives me a lot of confidence throwing big D's. My only complaint with concrete is getting a short teepad. I am 6'2" and take big strides during my X-Step. If the teepad is short, then I have to be really careful about where I start off. Other than that, love the concrete!

Plus, I find that concrete tees are usually too small, and often unlevel with the ground around them, (sticking up 6 inches) which makes for a tricky run-up.

The tees at my home course are concrete, but they are way too small. This has taught me to do all my drives with no run-up, compromising my distance. 30x48" is worse than just using the dirt. The 8" drop of the edge is just begging to twist an ankle. Lots of times we will just throw from next to the tee instead.

I like concrete or crushed limestone best. Never tried the rubber mats, but they sound interesting.

anybody use those outdoor shoes with all the holes in them they look like hikeing watersocks

This?

6fceadbf-7024-41a6-ac9a-49b3ae9d71f2.jpg

Salomon Tech Amphibian

The tees at my home course are concrete, but they are way too small. [...] 30x48" is worse than just using the dirt. The 8" drop of the edge is just begging to twist an ankle.
Nice course, awful tee pads:

9ae442f6.jpg

view_image.php

yeah, how do they hold up

Pretty darn well so far - I also just picked up another version from the same company that has much more of a running shoe feel to it in terms of foot support. I have not played with these yet, but I think they will make for a better DG shoe.

Shoes_iAEC1072140.jpg