• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird plastics

smook

Par Member
What are the different types of flights and your opinions on the different types of plastics that the Teebird comes in? e.g. Champ, Star, Pro, DX, Glow, etc.

Good question. I finally threw my 150 Star Tee Bird I got from DGR just a few weeks ago and It's become my go to driver for long S curves on open fair ways. I ordered a second 150 Star Tee Bird the other day as a back up. I really hope there aren't any difference in the molds.

So yea, uh, that's all I can contribute. Have only just started throwing a Star mold at 150, but love it's dead on flight and S curve distance!

I've thrown a 170 DX, star and Champ. The Dx one had mega glide, and was really straight with fade, lost its fade, then became flippy in a few weeks, because I played pretty much every day. Then I left it on a football feild... The 170 Star was nice and straight for awhile, but beat in to semi flippy in a few months, but didn't really lose much of its fade. Doesn't have as much glide as the DX. I have a new champ one I've only thrown a few times because now I'm throwing eagles, which doesn't have as much glide as the star, and is pretty beefy.

Just go with the always reliable 11x teebird for the straighest shots in the world and to me the star are the most stable. The dx to me are slightly less stable then the 11x and the glo are a touch more stable then the dx. The pro I have no clue, I have never got the chance to get my hands on one.

I have a 12x that i've reallllly been enjoying the past few days,I had a couple rips with it today that surprised me,had about a 80 foot look on a 470 foot hole today,it might of even been closer than that,and for me that is a crush :|,most of the time my rivers are in the 330-350 range on a good day,so that amazed me.

To the actual question,I only have real experience with champs,the flight numbers ones are a lot less stable,but the 12x I have is quite stable,nice straight flight with a very reliable fade,like you'd expect.

For me the Champ Teebirds are really overstable...so much that until I got a firebird it was was my go to wind driver.
DX are definitely the best flight characteristics, but it only lasts a few weeks or one good hit off a tree.

I've not thrown a star Teebird, nor the Glow...

Sorry, i believe there is no pro. and thanks for the detailed descriptions. BIG HELP

typically champs are the most stable in molds and have the least amount of glide. dx and pro's have the most glide but they also wear down faster, where i live most of the courses will eat through dx plastic so fast its not even worth buying; for that reason if i want max glide i go with pro. however if i want a disc I can keep a while but will also break in i go with star.

lately i've been hearing that echo star plastic is the best of both worlds when it comes to getting the glide of pro plastic plus the durability of star.

lately i've been hearing that echo star plastic is the best of both worlds when it comes to getting the glide of pro plastic plus the durability of star.

I can attest to this, the echo star I've been throwing lately is overstable for a teebird (almost champ overstability) but certainly glides more that the traditional premium plastic teebird, this allows for some great reliable distance, and I can only assume it will get better as it breaks in.

I've liked every Teebird I've ever thrown. My fav is the star because it has more glide than the champ and lasts longer than the DX.

All Teebirds are good... even beat up turnover 'birds.

I carry a 150 Champ Teebird (a pretty gummy one). I like it and it works great for certain shots, mostly upshots where I need something with a definite fade at the end of the flight. I also carry a 150 Champ Eagle and definitely prefer it over the Teebird for the majority of use. The Eagle flies just about dead straight with not nearly as much fade -- it is a more of a "pin point" disc for shots where I have to thread in between obstacles. Both are great discs and get about the same distance, but the teebird is definitely kinda overstable for my liking...but, it works well in the wind. Both discs complement each other well.

Garret

i just got an 175 11x kc pro teebird and it's great. very striaght and fades nice and smooth at the end, it's 8/10 or so maybe, but pretty good shape. I have a 172 12x domey teebird too that i don't care for, it's just never felt right. the flat 11x feels better to me personally, and it doesn't have as much fade. The 12x kind of developed high speed turn and never lost much fade as it beat in.

from what i've read the star's can be pretty flat too?

i got a star a champ x out and a 154 g 11x and they all see time in the bag with the star getting the most and the x out getting the least

The higher end plastic ones tend to retain more LSS than the DX. This actually makes them easier to "range" when you're throwing >400'. There's a lot less chance you'll end up 50' farther than you wanted to go. The DX ones loose almost all LSS and become super straight and long. People throwing <400' will probably get the best performance out of them. They also tend to not take kindly to OAT when beat. A little too much and they'll turn and burn. Thrown cleanly on a hyzer flip they'll be one of your longest discs, though.

I carry a Star and a Champ. I use the Star for almost everything, and the Champ comes out if it's windy or I want something a little more overstable.

Each plastic that the teebird is made in has it's different uses. I know that my 11x is definitely straighter than my DX, but my DX has an abundance of glide. Both are pretty beat, and have a spot in my bag because of their different flights. Personally, I think that carrying more than one teebird in different plastics could help everyone's game.