• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teesigns

Parks

Double Eagle Member
Durable, cheap, aesthetically pleasing, easily updated/moved. In that order. We have a vandalism problem.

Anyone got pictures of quality teesigns? (the whole thing, preferably).

One thing I wish some course would include is what direction the next tee is. I've played a few course as a first timer, and finding the next tee pad would take 10 minutes.

Houck tee signs = easily vandalized and easily removed (at least at middle creek where we just got them, they have been quickly vandalized)

i plan on using large (basketball + sized, 60+ lb) boulders painted with the info. if they're vandalized, just re-paint them; if someone moves them... well, good luck trying. And who wants to steal a boulder? Oh... and they're free.

cjskier said:
One thing I wish some course would include is what direction the next tee is. I've played a few course as a first timer, and finding the next tee pad would take 10 minutes.

this is crucial, and a great 'standard' way i've seen is to put an arrow at the bottom of the basket pointing to the next tee area. it has to be locked into place somehow but it can be done.

4x4 in the ground, hole number distance and a rough design of the fairway shape on it.

Not much simpler or easier to replace, and very difficult to vandalize with any effect if you carve/chisel the info into the wood.

Aubin said:
cjskier said:

this is crucial, and a great 'standard' way i've seen is to put an arrow at the bottom of the basket pointing to the next tee area. it has to be locked into place somehow but it can be done.

An idea that I ripped off from seeing at a few other courses is to simply wrap some colorful tape around whichever rung on the basket is closest to the next tee. I.e., if the next tee is up and to the left, you'd put a piece of tape around the 10 o'clock position on the cage. It really helped us a lot when we were playing the courses for the first time, and it's a super simple, cheap, and relatively vandal-proof method.

And Lyle, I assume you've seen the thread on NWDGN, right?

Another thing you can do is use spray paint. Especially handy if there're multiple tees. You can paint the bars on the basket that point to the tees the color of the tees (blue, white, gold, etc.)

Best teesigns I've seen were at Ponds of Lakeshore for a tournament- they had the hole description, plus a large laminated picture of the hole from teebox, with arrows pointing common routes.

cjskier said:

Ponds also has this deal where one of the metal spokes of the basket is painted blue, pointing to way to the next pro tee, and one white for the am tee.

Leopard said:
Frank Delicious said:
Houck tee signs = easily vandalized and easily removed (at least at middle creek where we just got them, they have been quickly vandalized)
w00t!

Thanks Frank, I like you again

whew, I'm glad we cool again.

Seriously though I don't know if I have ever seen tee signs so quickly or easily vandalized and pried off their posts. It was pretty sad.

Frank Delicious said:
Seriously though I don't know if I have ever seen tee signs so quickly or easily vandalized and pried off their posts. It was pretty sad.
That's the main pain that I don't wanna deal with at all. I'd rather just do the amazemagraphic image part and find legit vandal-resistant frames. Like if the sign wasn't a disc golf sign, .. that has probably been solved somewhere.

Flipflat said:
Ponds also has this deal where one of the metal spokes of the basket is painted blue, pointing to way to the next pro tee, and one white for the am tee.

Lakeshore's baskets are why I posted that bit...it's such a great idea, and so simple!

The problem with this course is not the tee signs, it's the jerks who steal and write on the tee signs, I heard they also stole a basket and are stealing other stuff too. the park had to put up cameras and caught some dudes. Also I have played many of the courses designed by John Houck or at least his design company and they always have great signs. I heard that the middle creek chose not to have the frames and just put them on these posts which makes any sign easy to steal. The course by my house has Houck design signs and they are super nice, when I looked up houcks different signs they offer a bunch of different levels of signs including the ones by my house which have a frame, are graffiti protected and sun protected covers, on real nice metal post. All the signs have pars, distances, next tee signs, mandos, tee boxes, baskets, flight patterns, elevation and anything else you would want. So i believe that the course is at fault for not getting the frames, well that and all the crappy people who mess with the signs, they suck. Anyway good course, great signs, and I wish people would just quit screwing with the signs out there, it is just ridiculous. Hope this is helpful. Now "shut up and throw"! lol

^^
good post and, Frank -- did y'all really not get frames? jesus g h, that's different

Brucewitte said:
All the signs have pars, distances, next tee signs, mandos, tee boxes, baskets, flight patterns, elevation and anything else you would want.
Agreed!
they must have had some kinda tee sign genius develop those graphics.. gives me the willies to think what that person could cook up 3 years later 8)

Leopard said:
^^
good post and, Frank -- did y'all really not get frames? jesus g h, that's different

The guy who bought them told me he bought what was recommended to him by the designer. After they got vandalized up he apparently called them back up and is getting a whole new set made with anti-vandalism stuff.

Frank Delicious said:
Leopard said:
^^

The guy who bought them told me he bought what was recommended to him by the designer. After they got vandalized up he apparently called them back up and is getting a whole new set made with anti-vandalism stuff.
wow, that's doublin up on step 3: profit

I have been asked to paint some tee signs for a course. I am going to be using large pieces of concrete to the hole configuration on. I believe they will be large enough not to be carried away easily.

As much as it sucks to say, tee signs will genreally allways get vandalized and baskets will allways get stolen.
Personally I think that the best way to combat this is pay to play.