• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tentative Hole Layout 2

Doofenshmirtz

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
This is a proposed hole on this course to be. The course designer (not me, I'm just providing input) wants the "cool" factor of throwing out from under the plane (thankfully, it is not a memorial of any kind). For those who want to discuss safety, this street sees virtually no use, only the occasional person who makes a wrong turn out of the exceptional few who wind up in this small part of the world. I estimate less than one car per day. But hey, if you want to talk about all the vehicle and non-existent foot traffic, go for it. Incidentally, these two holes are not typical of this course at all. It will be dominated by moderately wooded holes far away from the mold covered concrete.

This hole could end up playing a little shorter than 240'.

rbngoV0.jpg

Last edited:
thats the rough height of the plane of the part you would be throwing under

do you mean 170-190 instead of 270-290

thats the rough height of the plane of the part you would be throwing under

do you mean 170-190 instead of 270-290

15' to underside of plane. Tee box position would be adjusted forward if it obstructs anything but a thumber/tomahawk.

Yes, on the distance, photo edited.

i like it. that's probably the very minimum diameter of any island tho, but ya work with what your given

Agree with Chevis, for the most part I like it.

Throwing under the plane seems a little weird to me, but might be "cool". Hard to judge that without seeing it/playing it.

Make the pavement a required casual relief area where players who land completely on it have to move back on the line of play to the grass. No stroke penalty, just up to 25' distance.

Looks fun to me. Favors RHBH players who can fade into green, but it's not too long for the others to run straight at it.

Make the pavement a required casual relief area where players who land completely on it have to move back on the line of play to the grass. No stroke penalty, just up to 25' distance.

Do you think it would be better to have a drop zone given that the line of play may push some players pretty far back on the right side? I can see this approach completetly eliminating any issues in determining whether the disc crossed the island in the air before going OB.

Incidentally, it'll probably just a straight up OB (not my call), but I do anticipate some issues finding OB because of the way that the street feeds into the circle on the RHBH side. On the island itself any OB should only matter as to wind direction since all lies will be equidistant from the basket.

I wonder if the potential penalty stroke will make players try to make a run at the basket from 50' away at the risk of going OB past it in a way that wouldn't happen if the street were not OB. Would that also affect the decision as to whether or not to lay up and go for three off the tee? I mean, why not go for the pin if doing so cannot cost you a stroke penalty? I guess I could see everyone going for it as a good thing. On the other hand, this takes risk/reward completely out of the equation. 50' is a difficult putt for most, so casual relief would almost guarantee everyone a three at worst. Using OB would create a risk that anyone could avoid by laying up off the tee and going for three.

Do you think it would be better to have a drop zone given that the line of play may push some players pretty far back on the right side? I can see this approach completetly eliminating any issues in determining whether the disc crossed the island in the air before going OB.

Incidentally, it'll probably just a straight up OB (not my call), but I do anticipate some issues finding OB because of the way that the street feeds into the circle on the RHBH side. On the island itself any OB should only matter as to wind direction since all lies will be equidistant from the basket.

I wonder if the potential penalty stroke will make players try to make a run at the basket from 50' away at the risk of going OB past it in a way that wouldn't happen if the street were not OB. Would that also affect the decision as to whether or not to lay up and go for three off the tee? I mean, why not go for the pin if doing so cannot cost you a stroke penalty? I guess I could see everyone going for it as a good thing. On the other hand, this takes risk/reward completely out of the equation. 50' is a difficult putt for most, so casual relief would almost guarantee everyone a three at worst. Using OB would create a risk that anyone could avoid by laying up off the tee and going for three.
Since my post, you indicated that the asphalt and the parking lot/road are essentially unused. I would mark the asphalt ring around the basket required casual relief on the line of play to its edge, like a "moat". The rest of the asphalt walkways bordering the main fairway would just be inbounds. Landing beyond the asphalt would be Hazard including the concrete past the basket if truly unoccupied or OB if it's still occasionally used.

Sorry, my response in post 11 was about Tentative 1, not 2. However, the idea of marking the 25' concrete moat around the basket island as free required relief to the edge of it still makes sense and leave the remaining concrete as normal inbounds. You get scoring separation without needing a penalty because players have to make a longer putt moving to the edge of it. Some will make it, some will not.

I wouldn't want to hit the plane off the drive, but that's just me.

Island green with hazard rules/drop zone? That's a pretty big island, I'd hate to miss it knowing I'm likely taking a 4 at best.

I wouldn't want to hit the plane off the drive, but that's just me.

Yeah, it's going to happen if the longer length is used. If the tee pad is put under the plane, it should be exceptionally rare, but again, will probably still happen. People do dumb things.

Island green with hazard rules/drop zone? That's a pretty big island, I'd hate to miss it knowing I'm likely taking a 4 at best.

Likely yes. If you don't want to risk the 4, you can lay up, pitch to the green and have an easy putt for a three.

Yeah, it's going to happen if the longer length is used. If the tee pad is put under the plane, it should be exceptionally rare, but again, will probably still happen. People do dumb things.

Likely yes. If you don't want to risk the 4, you can lay up, pitch to the green and have an easy putt for a three.

I like this hole. You will have to mess with the rules.

With OB rules, if the disc passes over the island and land in OB, its a tap-in for 3.

With mando rules and a drop zone just outside the OB, it will actually encourage players to go for the ace. There is an element of fun in that.

My league has an island hole. Everything except the island is OB. If you don't make the island, you gain a stroke and have to re-tee. My first couple times playing I shot 8 or 9's. Course record is 22... poor guy. Its brutal at first but its helped me get better. Granted the hole is 140ft with a 40ft diameter island. Yours is considerable tighter.

I like this hole. You will have to mess with the rules.

With OB rules, if the disc passes over the island and land in OB, its a tap-in for 3.

With mando rules and a drop zone just outside the OB, it will actually encourage players to go for the ace. There is an element of fun in that.
not sure what mando there would be here (the plane?).
i agree with the dz outside the ob, so it isn't a drop in* 3 for trying to ace (*not exactlly a drop in: i've seen/had many misses from 20ft).

Latest posts