• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas State DGC - Hitchcock,TX

Ill see you there! Looking forward to it - Open div looks awesome! Do you know anything about the Friday doubles?

should be a great event. They have been working on the second and third(brand new) courses at Jack Brooks - like MADMEN.

Also there are some great things going on around the event like a $10,000 hole in one competition and a 2 hour clinic being put on by some big name touring pros.

I can't play but i'll prob get out there on sunday to watch the lead open card. I kinda wish Nikko was playing.

Last edited:
should be a great event. They have been working on the second and third(brand new) courses at Jack Brooks - like MADMEN.

Also there are some great things going on around the event like a $10,000 hole in one competition and a 2 hour clinic being put on by some big name touring pros.

I can't play but i'll prob get out there on sunday to watch the lead open card. I kinda wish Nikko was playing.

I was out there last weekend, and they were putting in at least 5 or 6 cement tees on the old course. I haven't heard about the clinic, but am wondering about Friday doubles - some one mentioned that to me but I dont remember who...
Also, Nikko is registered. I talked to him 2 years ago at TX States

^^^well, thanks for the work! I'm on the total opposite side of houston but i'm still looking foward to gettting out there after States and playing all three courses in one day.

Didn't see Nikkos name on the reg list buy good to know!

Sorry, i don't know anything about friday doubles. I'm sure you can look someone up at hfds.org or Birdshot who can tell you.

Good luck fellas!

Steve-o.... did you play at Lions tourney in Temple?

When I first signed up there was some info on doubles on Friday, but I think the $10k ace event has taken it's place. Not 100% on that, but there isn't any info on the doubles anymore at the website.... I'll be heading down on Friday morning for a walk through.

Nikko, Doss, McBeth, Avery, Ulibarri, Schusterik,McCabe....aaaand I'm dizzy now.

Been off the interwebs for a few days, but I found out about the Friday doubles, got to play the new temp course today - its killer! Lots of OB and hay bales used to block/elevate baskets. Looks great out there! I didnt know the clinic was today until I was on my way home (saw Avery Jenkins FB) so I guess I missed that, but I did get to say whats up to him, Valerie, Nate Doss, Nikko and Will Shusterick. All cool cats in my book. Didnt see Feldberg around though...

Played some practice rounds today.... course is beautiful, some strong wind out in the fields later in the afternoon. Got to see Yeti (and will confirm the validity of his nickname!) This'll be a great tourney.

So did anybody play? Reports? Opinions as to whether it was well ran and/or overall a good tourney?

I saw that Nikko made a couple bogies early but then played bogey free for the last 15-18 holes and sealed it with a birdie on the par 4 #24 to take the open division.

I played. Everything seemed to go as smoothly as possible from what I saw, but I don't play open and I will be anxious to hear what all of them thought. I guess we will find out soon enough. I doubt many of them will be reluctant to post on hfds and pdga discussion boards with their opinions.

^^^^Maybe you haven't seen the local board yet? Word on the street is the feldberg made some negative comments about the hills course. I feel like i'm gossiping already so i;ll just leave it at that.

Wish i could've made i, i know some of the locals worked really hard on the courses and the event overall. Next year...next year.

Did you play the valley course?

^^^^Maybe you haven't seen the local board yet? Word on the street is the feldberg made some negative comments about the hills course. I feel like i'm gossiping already so i;ll just leave it at that.

Wish i could've made i, i know some of the locals worked really hard on the courses and the event overall. Next year...next year.

Did you play the valley course?

I played the valley--for a temp course I thought they did an outstanding job. If it was permanent I would hope they would have changed a few things, but they should be held to a different standard.

I saw the comments that feldberg/some others apparently made and while I have some sympathy (I got every bad kick possible on my Hills round), the bottom line is that if you throw a better shot it will take bad stump/root kicks out of the equation. For example, on hole 5 I threw a low straight shot that was a perfect line, just a bit too low. Instead of it getting to the mouth of the opening for a look at a 3, it skipped off a root and went in the water. I had to throw a perfect nest shot just to have a chance to save my 5. Did the kick suck? Yes. Was it a pretty good throw with some bad luck? Yes. But if I would have thrown it a bit higher like one of the other guys on my card, it would have stayed in the air over all those "unfair" rootstumps and I wouldn't have to worry about any luck coming into play.

The Hills course really punishes you for mistakes and that is not a bad thing. Will some people get luckier than others...of course, but over time the better players will have better results. There is a reason that the top two rated players in the tourney ended up 1-2 when all was said and done. The Borg can b**** and moan all he wants, but I believe that you want a tournament/course to reward the best players. If you look at the final results, it is almost a perfect distribution from top to bottom ratings wise. He can take his $1000 check and never come back if he really hated it that much, but I would imagine that he probably walks away from half the tournaments he plays with some temper tantrum or another. If there is one thing that I have seen consistently from my interaction with pros it is that there is some entitlement there--not everyone of course, but probably more than not.

Anyways, off my soap box. The tourney was great. I had fun. Courses were significantly improved and that will benefit us Houstonians for many years. Way to go Brooks Bros. Congrats Nikko. Looking forward to 2012 TSDGC.

Latest posts