• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas States 2013

Yeah I don't facebook, so I guess I'm out of the loop. Whenever I want or need info about hfds, I usually go to hfds.org. Seems logical to me. But I guess they facebook it instead. And yeah, I use facebook as a verb.

Maybe you could post a link to where hfds mentions any of this info on their own site? The only mention of states being in Austin is your post this morning with a link to this thread. That I could find anyways.
It's been discussed at the monthly meetings for the past four or five months. Richard's meeting minutes are documented in this thread:
http://hfds.org/vbull/showthread.php?t=727

D'oh

Maybe I would have found it if you tied it to a rock and threw it at me.

Ashamed

I have not played any of the three courses..... Which in order should I play before hand? I might be in town next week and not sure how much time I can spend disc disc golfing. SO if there is one course that should be played and maybe another course that I might get by without playing.

I have not played any of the three courses..... Which in order should I play before hand? I might be in town next week and not sure how much time I can spend disc disc golfing. SO if there is one course that should be played and maybe another course that I might get by without playing.

I think Manor has the most tricky holes that you will want to have played. Lots of par 4 shots that need placement over distance off the tee box. This is also the only one that has OB and in some cases near the basket/green. Manor probably has the worst shule of the three with lots of cactus and thorny trees.

Roy G is a blast but very straight forward. You can always tell what you need to do. If you play it, get the distances from this website, the tee signs are way off.

I havn't played met center. sounds like upkeep isn't that great most of the time so...

The thing about Met Center is that there is a bunch of arbitrary OB, they will probably have it marked for the tourney but playing casual you just can't tell what's what. I hate the way they do OB out there, but whatever. Also this is the only one of the 3 courses where you can lose a disc in water. Manor has a creek running thru but it's always retrievable imo. Met has a pond hole or two.

You should definitely play Manor if you only have time for one. However if it's at all rainy/muddy you will want to play Roy G. Manor is TERRIBLE in the mud, but Roy G is setup with lots of mulch to keep the grounds playable.

Although I volunteered to help Vinnie out if needed, I'm really hoping that I can just play in next year's edition of Texas States.

I know that most of us here in Houston were really hoping that a venue would be found where all 3 courses could be in the same park/property. One of the best things about Texas States has been that all 3 courses have been in the same locale every year. It makes for great times for the players since we're all there together...especially for food/beverages/parties. I just don't think that there are many places that can host 3 full 18-hole courses.

Vinnie's proposal and his "added cash" sponsors are what really sold his proposal to us. HFDS is using this as a test run to see if we might want to roll it around to other Texas cities/clubs periodically in the future. If players want to see this happen again, then it will be important to support Vinnie to make it a huge success...otherwise, I think the sentiment of HFDS will be against allowing it to roam to another city again.

If it IS successful though, it might be fun to see how other cities might compete to host it when it goes "on walk-about."

Thanks for all of the good info from Giles and Pablo about which courses I need to consider checking out before next year!

I am not a fan of only having one (non age restricted) Am division. I know in previous years they have had MA1 and MA2, but combining all AM's into one division is going to suck for everybody. Let me start by saying that I have nothing against someone personally based on their ability to throw a frisbee cause compared to some pro's I am the lesser player so I keep that in mind. However, if I am paying this kind of money to play in a tournament of this caliber I am not going to want MA2 and MA3 guys on my card (first round). I am going to want other people of my skill level who are making good shots and playing smart and following all the rules. Also, I would bet the majority of MA2 and MA3 guys who would want to play States aren't going to want to compete against the MA1 guys either. This proposed model seems like they are trying to make the pro divisions really good (which is fine) but in my opinion they kinda took a dump on the Am's this year.

Last edited:
I believe last year was the first year they didn't have ma3. And as far as playing with people who you don't feel are up to your standards, their money is as good as anyone else's. Do you think the pros complain about playing with you? They don't, because they're not really playing against you, they are playing against the course. This way just makes for a bigger ma1 field.

Although I volunteered to help Vinnie out if needed, I'm really hoping that I can just play in next year's edition of Texas States.

I know that most of us here in Houston were really hoping that a venue would be found where all 3 courses could be in the same park/property. One of the best things about Texas States has been that all 3 courses have been in the same locale every year. It makes for great times for the players since we're all there together...especially for food/beverages/parties. I just don't think that there are many places that can host 3 full 18-hole courses.

Vinnie's proposal and his "added cash" sponsors are what really sold his proposal to us. HFDS is using this as a test run to see if we might want to roll it around to other Texas cities/clubs periodically in the future. If players want to see this happen again, then it will be important to support Vinnie to make it a huge success...otherwise, I think the sentiment of HFDS will be against allowing it to roam to another city again.

If it IS successful though, it might be fun to see how other cities might compete to host it when it goes "on walk-about."

Thanks for all of the good info from Giles and Pablo about which courses I need to consider checking out before next year!

Well said! And nice to hear from someone involved in the houston dg scene. You still running those minis at TC Jester?

Yep. Every Sunday morning at 9:00 am. $10 entry fee plus optional Ace Pot and mulligans.

HFDS provided most of the baskets that expanded the Jester course from 9 to 21 baskets. It was determined that the club put out around $1,500 worth of baskets into that expansion. I began running the Commando Mini there to help repay the club's investment. We raised around $250 in the first six months of operation...very slow going. Some visitors from Oklahoma suggested that I might want to follow the model used by their club and sell multiple mulligans using the mulligan fund for the club. I began doing that, and am expecting to nearly triple the money going to repay the club. It is my hope that once basket costs have been repaid, then I can go back to running the Commando as a fund-raiser for Texas States again.

In years past, the Commando Mini has been the largest single cash sponsor of Texas States. If Vinnie snags the $10K sponsor that he says is solid, then it'll be a long time before THAT mark gets topped! :clap: But I am anxious to get back to raising funds for States again...

I hope that folks in Austin get behind Vinnie and help blow the roof off of States next year.

Larry

........I know that most of us here in Houston were really hoping that a venue would be found where all 3 courses could be in the same park/property. One of the best things about Texas States has been that all 3 courses have been in the same locale every year. It makes for great times for the players since we're all there together...especially for food/beverages/parties. I just don't think that there are many places that can host 3 full 18-hole courses.........

SELAH Ranch!

SELAH Ranch!

Great idea/thought, but who'd run it out at Selah? And how would you get sponsors out in a remote locale like a disc golf resort/B&B? I think that one would be tough.

On the other hand, I don't know if San Antonio will be planning anything after their remodel of Live Oak, but I heard they'd have three 18+hole coursess on one site there once it's done.

Also here in DFW, Cedar Hill now has that set up with the Mt. Lebanon course being upgraded. Dynamic Discs has hosted all three of its tournaments this year in Cedar Hill on three courses, the last two basically in one area. Now there wouldn't be room for anything much else than Disc Golf (certainly not a lot of parking), but they do have the venue for three champ caliber courses in one place, with advance notice to the camp. That course is private but they have an agreement with teh Cear Hill Disc Golf Association for tournaments.

Great idea/thought, but who'd run it out at Selah? And how would you get sponsors out in a remote locale like a disc golf resort/B&B? I think that one would be tough.

On the other hand, I don't know if San Antonio will be planning anything after their remodel of Live Oak, but I heard they'd have three 18+hole coursess on one site there once it's done.

Also here in DFW, Cedar Hill now has that set up with the Mt. Lebanon course being upgraded. Dynamic Discs has hosted all three of its tournaments this year in Cedar Hill on three courses, the last two basically in one area. Now there wouldn't be room for anything much else than Disc Golf (certainly not a lot of parking), but they do have the venue for three champ caliber courses in one place, with advance notice to the camp. That course is private but they have an agreement with teh Cear Hill Disc Golf Association for tournaments.

Yep, all of those were considered as well as Tyler since they also have 3 courses in one location. The problem is fund-raising for the smaller cities or remote locations, or the lack of a strong club or tournament director in San Antonio. Running 3-course A-tier isn't a simple step up for the average TD. It takes a strong supporting group of people to pull it off in decent fashion without even touching on the whole fund-raising aspect.

I didn't really know who to contact in the Dallas area, but it is good to know that Cedar Hills can field 3 18-hole courses! (I didn't know that!) Put me in touch with someone that might be willing to discuss it. All will depend on how V-man and the Austin crew does with it in 2013. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for its success, are you folks? :thmbup:

Yep, all of those were considered as well as Tyler since they also have 3 courses in one location. The problem is fund-raising for the smaller cities or remote locations, or the lack of a strong club or tournament director in San Antonio. Running 3-course A-tier isn't a simple step up for the average TD. It takes a strong supporting group of people to pull it off in decent fashion without even touching on the whole fund-raising aspect.

I didn't really know who to contact in the Dallas area, but it is good to know that Cedar Hills can field 3 18-hole courses! (I didn't know that!) Put me in touch with someone that might be willing to discuss it. All will depend on how V-man and the Austin crew does with it in 2013. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for its success, are you folks? :thmbup:

Absolutely! If work permits I'm gonna go in 2013. I liked Houston, I liked Galveston County better, but I'm sure I'll dig Austin. Love the courses in Austin -- and apparently I like Met Center more than most of the people that have posted on here

I look forward to this! I have played the last 5 years in Houston, and while every year was run well, Tom Bass is not near the top of my favorite Houston courses. 2011 at Brooks was a great event - the temp course was awesome that year. I have only played a bit in Austin (Circle C 5-6 times, Pease 2-3x, ARBC 1x, MetCenter 1x, Manor 1x) but I have loved every round out there. Austin Ridge was probably my favorite and I look forward to playing it again on my next trip there with cement tees.

I am sure the Austin clubs will do a great job, and I look forward to checking out Roy G soon! Hopefully this can be a traveling tourney every year. I would love to see it in a Houston/Austin/DFW rotation.

met center isnt bad. people just dont like the difficulty of the ob and the trees/shots yo need to make. the only bad thing about met center is its in a flood zone so if it rains,its not an ideal course to play unless its had a few days to dry up

I didn't really know who to contact in the Dallas area,

The biggest/best equipt TD in Dallas is Jeremy Rusco with Dynamic Discs from Kansas, LOL.
The oldest/biggest event in Dallas (Arlington on the Fort Worth side) is the Veterans Park Open that the Arlington Disc Golf Association runs. They aren't going to split efferts away from the flagship event.
Cedar Hill contact is Brian Lamero but he doesn't do any TD work, he is a hard working guy who makes the greatness that is Lester Lorch park possible.
Our latest (for profit) TDs are Dewayne with Straight Line, Wes of HyzerBomb and Kevin of 4 the chains from the Austin area picked up some of the defunct TitleDisc events. I don't know that any of them are interested in drumming up the outside sponsorship dollars that it takes to run this event to the standards of the Houston guys.
The Rose City club in Tyler has/had it own flagship event in the piney woods pro/am, I'm not sure the status of that event.

Don't think Dallas will take it any time soon. (nothing said above should be taken as critasism, I have nothing but respect for these people and what they do.)

If I wasn't a (newish) father, this event would be a must play for me. Can't say enough good things about the way Houston ran it the one year I played and have seen nothing but good things from Vinny at the TX women's events. Roy G will be an awsome course for tournaments and Manor is a true test of dg skill. I'd sign up today if I thought I could play it.

Latest posts