• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas States 2013

The biggest/best equipt TD in Dallas is Jeremy Rusco with Dynamic Discs from Kansas, LOL.
The oldest/biggest event in Dallas (Arlington on the Fort Worth side) is the Veterans Park Open that the Arlington Disc Golf Association runs. They aren't going to split efferts away from the flagship event.
Cedar Hill contact is Brian Lamero but he doesn't do any TD work, he is a hard working guy who makes the greatness that is Lester Lorch park possible.
Our latest (for profit) TDs are Dewayne with Straight Line, Wes of HyzerBomb and Kevin of 4 the chains from the Austin area picked up some of the defunct TitleDisc events. I don't know that any of them are interested in drumming up the outside sponsorship dollars that it takes to run this event to the standards of the Houston guys.
The Rose City club in Tyler has/had it own flagship event in the piney woods pro/am, I'm not sure the status of that event.

Don't think Dallas will take it any time soon. (nothing said above should be taken as critasism, I have nothing but respect for these people and what they do.)

If I wasn't a (newish) father, this event would be a must play for me. Can't say enough good things about the way Houston ran it the one year I played and have seen nothing but good things from Vinny at the TX women's events. Roy G will be an awsome course for tournaments and Manor is a true test of dg skill. I'd sign up today if I thought I could play it.

I wish we had more of a DFW Metro Club that could pool our resources and run some tourneys for the people by the people:thmbup: Right now its more short sited like just course clubs nothing to bring the masses together. Funky Town trys but not enough volunters in the leadership means burnout and lack of progress:(

Last edited:
I am not a fan of only having one (non age restricted) Am division. I know in previous years they have had MA1 and MA2, but combining all AM's into one division is going to suck for everybody. Let me start by saying that I have nothing against someone personally based on their ability to throw a frisbee cause compared to some pro's I am the lesser player so I keep that in mind. However, if I am paying this kind of money to play in a tournament of this caliber I am not going to want MA2 and MA3 guys on my card (first round). I am going to want other people of my skill level who are making good shots and playing smart and following all the rules. Also, I would bet the majority of MA2 and MA3 guys who would want to play States aren't going to want to compete against the MA1 guys either. This proposed model seems like they are trying to make the pro divisions really good (which is fine) but in my opinion they kinda took a dump on the Am's this year.

why not just play in open?

I wish we had more of a DFW Metro Club that could pool our resources and run some tourneys for the people by the people:thmbup: Right now its more short sited like just course clubs nothing to bring the masses together. Funky Town trys but not enough volunters in the leadership means burnout and lack of progress:(

I thought Funky Town was more about trying to get more courses in Fort Worth and working to fix up the existing courses.

We are drifting the thread away but you are right. Too many localised clubs with nobody pulling them together in DFW. You would need a small group of people with a goal (like worlds or TX states) to try and get all the clubs working to that one goal.
1.2.3. NOT IT!

I am not a fan of only having one (non age restricted) Am division. I know in previous years they have had MA1 and MA2, but combining all AM's into one division is going to suck for everybody. Let me start by saying that I have nothing against someone personally based on their ability to throw a frisbee cause compared to some pro's I am the lesser player so I keep that in mind. However, if I am paying this kind of money to play in a tournament of this caliber I am not going to want MA2 and MA3 guys on my card (first round). I am going to want other people of my skill level who are making good shots and playing smart and following all the rules. Also, I would bet the majority of MA2 and MA3 guys who would want to play States aren't going to want to compete against the MA1 guys either. This proposed model seems like they are trying to make the pro divisions really good (which is fine) but in my opinion they kinda took a dump on the Am's this year.

I missed this untill I saw the other reply.

I played The Memorial in AZ with only 1 am feild. Had no problems like you are talking about. In fact it was the last round where I was sitting in 12th or so that it go to me when two of the guys on my card were throwing 100' farther than I.

it's not just manor is it? I heard Manor, Roy G, and Met for Open...any details Vinnie? Also ready to sign up, with only 60 open gotta get in quickly

it's not just manor is it? I heard Manor, Roy G, and Met for Open...any details Vinnie? Also ready to sign up, with only 60 open gotta get in quickly

I heard a rumor that Pros will only play Manor.

Hopefully this isn't true as I would much rather play the Met and Roy G.

ya a few of us are looking to head down in a few weeks to hit all 3, since there is only 1 tourny on one of the 3 before the NT, ill hit vinnie up tonight and see what he says

Word is from Vinnie himself that Pros will ONLY be playing Manor. It's a great course that really epitomizes the difficulty and landscapes of Texas golf, but Austin has so many excellent courses that would also be great for the Pros (Roy G, MetCenter, Austin Ridge). The biggest problem is that Manor is far from these courses and one of them (Austin Ridge) is privately owned by a church so a big tournament could interfere with their weekend activities. So really, you just have Roy G and Met unless you consider courses up North. Wilco was a contender before it had tress taken out. Old Settlers is pretty mehhh. It kind of makes sense why the Pros are only playing Manor.

2013 TX State

Bet it's at Old Settlers too. Big Bomber course as Avery would say. I would personally rather it be at the country club or Circle C.

Word is from Vinnie himself that Pros will ONLY be playing Manor. It's a great course that really epitomizes the difficulty and landscapes of Texas golf, but Austin has so many excellent courses that would also be great for the Pros (Roy G, MetCenter, Austin Ridge). The biggest problem is that Manor is far from these courses and one of them (Austin Ridge) is privately owned by a church so a big tournament could interfere with their weekend activities. So really, you just have Roy G and Met unless you consider courses up North. Wilco was a contender before it had tress taken out. Old Settlers is pretty mehhh. It kind of makes sense why the Pros are only playing Manor.

It makes no sense that pros would play Manor only, they've got it backwards, the AM's should be the ones stuck playing Manor 3x. Like I said, needs to be renamed to the Manor Open.

It makes no sense that pros would play Manor only, they've got it backwards, the AM's should be the ones stuck playing Manor 3x. Like I said, needs to be renamed to the Manor Open.

I agree!

Manor is a great course...but only playing there is kinda lame....especially when states has always used multiple courses for Pros and AMs.

you would think so, but Pros (according to Vinnie and what he has taken from others) prefer convenience and not having to drive all over

there's a group on facebook discussing this as we speak. search "Fellow Disc Golfers"

you would think so, but Pros (according to Vinnie and what he has taken from others) prefer convenience and not having to drive all over

there's a group on facebook discussing this as we speak. search "Fellow Disc Golfers"

How far is Manor from the Met?

Also, this could be structured so that you wouldn't have to drive anywhere during lunch...just from Saturday to Sunday.

also, Circle C should really be in the mix if it's available. It's a professional level Houck course, clean, and large enough to host galleries on some of the more open holes. The complex is also home to a ton of soccer fields, however, so soccer players may take precedence over the facilities if it were in question.

also, Circle C should really be in the mix if it's available. It's a professional level Houck course, clean, and large enough to host galleries on some of the more open holes. The complex is also home to a ton of soccer fields, however, so soccer players may take precedence over the facilities if it were in question.

if its gotta be the same site 3x, which i dont understand, then circle c 3x would at least be better i agree

Thanks!

I just didn't think Manor was as good as many others.......I would prefer Roy G all day (although it does lack some scoring spread).

3 rounds at Manor will have me making a decision (to play or not) that I haven't had to make in the past.

Latest posts