• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 25th Annual Memorial Championship

discgolfplanet.tv

$25 for a lifetime membership at discgolfplanet.tv is a darn good bargain if you ask me. Where else can we currently get broadcasted live coverage of our sport? Now does discgolfplanet have a lot to improve on? Absolutely. And I am sure that they are trying their best within the scope of their resources and abilities. And I think offering constructive criticism as well as a few frustrated comments hopes to drive them into offering a professional product.

The quality of the video was fairly good, and the scenic views at fountain hills can really add to that. Sure there were several pan shots that allowed the action to get out of frame or zoom shots that didn't stay focused. Of course everyone experienced the delay in the audio, and hearing chains hit on a putt with the announcer delayed by 5-10 seconds was annoying. The final round wasn't as bad.

The missing of hole 17 and and the drives on 18 on the final card during the final round is simply inexcusable. Did the camera run out of battery again? This has happened before, they need a backup plan or a spare battery if that is the case.

What I would like to see that would improve the broadcast between live action, is REPLAY and REVIEW analysis. Have an extra tech in the booth that can replay the live video, slow it down, and provide a commentary breakdown of the action from the announcers.

Overall, I'm very happy that discgolfplanet is broadcasting the memorial, a chance to see the top pros in the world and several of my local friends on the internet while I am work.

$25 for a lifetime membership at discgolfplanet.tv is a darn good bargain if you ask me. Where else can we currently get broadcasted live coverage of our sport? Now does discgolfplanet have a lot to improve on? Absolutely. And I am sure that they are trying their best within the scope of their resources and abilities. And I think offering constructive criticism as well as a few frustrated comments hopes to drive them into offering a professional product.

The quality of the video was fairly good, and the scenic views at fountain hills can really add to that. Sure there were several pan shots that allowed the action to get out of frame or zoom shots that didn't stay focused. Of course everyone experienced the delay in the audio, and hearing chains hit on a putt with the announcer delayed by 5-10 seconds was annoying. The final round wasn't as bad.

The missing of hole 17 and and the drives on 18 on the final card during the final round is simply inexcusable. Did the camera run out of battery again? This has happened before, they need a backup plan or a spare battery if that is the case.

What I would like to see that would improve the broadcast between live action, is REPLAY and REVIEW analysis. Have an extra tech in the booth that can replay the live video, slow it down, and provide a commentary breakdown of the action from the announcers.

Overall, I'm very happy that discgolfplanet is broadcasting the memorial, a chance to see the top pros in the world and several of my local friends on the internet while I am work.

forgot to add that as well....also more analysis before and after the event/each day of coverage. but replays need to happen

Lol yes there was. Especially from nikko, he was standing by me after he just finished his round and talking sh@t. If i didnt already know he is a loser i would have been shocked by how he was talking about other players.

I have never liked Nikko. He just screams Dbag to me. I have a friend who doesn't like Feldberg after what he said to Nikko (when nikko won the USDGC). I was like what about all the nasty things Nikko says and the pisspoor attitude on the course?
I will still continue to cheer for the same people I have been for years, accept I am adding McBeth to that list as he has been nothing but an awesome rep for the sport and so interactive with us.
Did anyone else think it was pretty impressive that throughout all the coverage I don't recall hearing Discraft (the title sponsor of the event) mentioned at all?

wow, now that you mention it thats totally true. With all of Greenwell's prodigy talk if I were Discraft I would tell DGPtv they are not allowed at any of their Title events again. Ridiculous.
It's free, why should I pay? Ever hear the expression that you get what you pay for?
So you have given no support to the broadcast....man if people like you would at least sign up for base memebership they might have more cameras and better equipment. but i guess that just goes along with the greedy attitude so previlant today. "TAKE TAKE TAKE TAKE, wait what you want me to give back? Well **** You!"

No, I'm simply attacking the premise that because it's free, there should be no expectations of quality. I understand that the online broadcast will be nowhere near TV quality, but just because it's free, doesn't mean the viewership doesn't have a right to voice some critiques.
Read the last sentence of my post. I don't have any problems with critcism, when it's constructive. I had a bunch of issues with the stream (you can't look at the stream and not know they're there), but I was just happy to be able to watch an NT event for free when I wasn't out throwing in freezing temps. The majority of the posts weren't constructive in the slightest though. It sounded like a bunch of Comic Book Guys.

I disagree with this to an extent. There were some glaring errors that are really easy to fix. Battery packs dying during the critical final holes is inexcusable. I don't know what it takes to sync the audio and video, but I have to imagine something could have been done to improve that. And simply keeping the commentators informed on what's happening. On the final day it seemed they had no idea what McBeth was doing while everyone at home was watching the live scoring and knew exactly what was happening. Easy solution there, give them a computer screen to look at!

In an online forum, that's what you get. No one's going to jump on to say "thanks for the coverage, but here's some things you might improve on..."

Face to face with someone from DGP, the conversation I'm sure would be much different.
Face to face, half the complainers would be kissing John's ass (hell, half would be kissing his ass if he posted here). I am aware this is a forum, and people are keyboard bullies. They love to complain but hate to act. How many people who complained over the weekend have sent John an email complaining about his production? I'd bet money the answer is zero.

Better yet, how many of the people complaining have put on their own live production on acres of land (not just in a playhouse/studio) and had it happen without any errors? For the record, Brad, your posts in this thread show no appreciation for the free (for the viewers) disc golf you got to watch all weekend. So you missed two holes. Would you have rather missed them all? This is one of those times I want to tell you to pack up and head to the next streamed event so you can show us how easy it is, but it's too bad your keyboard's cord won't reach that far. I won't though.

Did those who paid for the stream get a better experience? I didn't think so. So why pay?

It's free, why should I pay? Ever hear the expression that you get what you pay for?

Obviously not.

So you have given no support to the broadcast....man if people like you would at least sign up for base memebership they might have more cameras and better equipment. but i guess that just goes along with the greedy attitude so previlant today. "TAKE TAKE TAKE TAKE, wait what you want me to give back? Well **** You!"

You took my post out of context. I repeated the asinine concept for effect. I did pay. I'm happy to get to watch disc golf and want to see the coverage improve. I know that doesn't happen by snapping of fingers.

You took my post out of context. I repeated the asinine concept for effect. I did pay. I'm happy to get to watch disc golf and want to see the coverage improve. I know that doesn't happen by snapping of fingers.

gotcha....missed that.

I've heard Crazy say "Memorial Championship sponsored by Discraft" a few times during the broadcast. So Discraft was mentioned, but not very often.

The fact that you can buy a lifetime membership for $25 kinda indicates that DGP will continue to have technical problems. You can't grow a technology dependent service like what they are offering without a decent amount of money.

Also if Prodigy was smart they would have taken some of that start up money and put a chunk of it towards DGP or something that would follow around their pros all year filming them. If Prodigy was funding a good quality source of pro DG vids, they would have a lot more supporters.

Just to compare the user experience and my preferences:

quick pros and cons

pros
quality of picture was absolutely astounding. really really good job.
Not for me. I have 10Mbps internet and it was really grainy/pixilated whether running on my PC, laptop or tablet. Almost unwatchable.

cons
get better professionals commentating. they look the part but man crazy says some dumb things. i also cant stand greenwell's voice (personal preference i know)
I have no problem at all watching real people doing their best, versus the polished suits you too often see on TV. I fully enjoyed the commentary

FIX THE AUDIO LAG!!!!
agree. I would almost always hear the chains and then see the putt - probably 3-4 seconds average lag

get more camera's
That would be a logical next step improvement....and require a lot more complexity/cost I assume

more screen graphics showing yardage, hole info, player stats, etc etc
not that important to me. I am used to having my tablet on my lap while watching sports and getting the details I want when I want them (not when the broadcast gives them). I had a course map open (it was hard to find) and Google Maps aerial view open - that was very useful in understanding the course a little better.

theres many more pros and cons but those are the main ones as far as im concerned

I have yet to hear anyone from Prodigy talk about how this disc line is going to help the average player improve their game. ?

I can answer that... My D4 is flying 30-40 ft. further than anything in my bag. I was in the circle in two on many of the long par 4s at The Memorial that I never would've without this plastic. So... yes. I'm a believer in the performance and don't really care about any of the other nonsense.

I can answer that... My D4 is flying 30-40 ft. further than anything in my bag. I was in the circle in two on many of the long par 4s at The Memorial that I never would've without this plastic. So... yes. I'm a believer in the performance and don't really care about any of the other nonsense.

My point is that the company hasn't put out any hype like this. It's been all about the team, not the products.

i guess discraft didn't feel like buying any advertising time on dgp.

the only complaints i have about the broadcast was cutting out at the end of the round and not knowing about paul's record round/catching up to will.

as a whole, the twitter feed was much more informative as to what was unfolding.

i'm interested to see how they cut it up for the BSN showing. it's in a month, right?

I can't pretend to be an expert on the cameras, but my understanding is that the wireless camera is attached to a laptop/tablet type thing that connects wirelessly (3G/4G, I imagine) to broadcast the signal back to the production studio. When the battery dies on this setup, it's not simply a matter of plugging in a new/fresh one and continuing on. I guarantee they have a backup battery or two right there ready to go. The issue is more likely that it takes a few moments to reboot the computer and get the connection back up and running once the fresh battery is in.

Just picture how long it takes to reboot your own computer or tablet device (it isn't instant, obviously), then getting a program or two up and running and properly configured to do whatever it is it does. In that amount of time, the tournament is marching on, unless they should be asking the best players in the world to hold off on playing the last two holes of a tournament so the 2000 or so folks at home can get to watch.

That doesn't necessarily excuse them entirely, but there's no reason to imply that they were somehow unprepared for a dead battery. Perhaps they need to be a bit more proactive and switch out to a fresh battery more frequently, such as at any opportune moment like a two card backup on a tee. Just a thought.