• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

IIRC, Discraft offers "boats" of discs to TDs for them to use at tournaments and send back the unused discs. But I've never seen any Comets in X plastic available at tournaments. Are those never included in the boats?

ok, whew!! Now i'll try to work thru the ones since i last looked yesterday! Dont think i was expecting this thread to be this popular, but i'll hack my way thru them :)

mj, a couple of player related questions if you don't mind. first off i really enjoyed that first clash dvd which had bonus stuff of you and a very young david wiggins jr tearing up a course!

what is your assessment of wiggins ability now? also, do you enjoy playing against him? i know he didn't take the route that ricky wysocki took after the '10 ams of constant touring and playing. Little Wiggins is turning into a hell of a player and good young man! He has done things his way and has more interests than just golf, which is really good. Might slow down his progress a bit, but will more than likely keep him in the game longer! I really enjoy competing with dave, he's got some serious game and gets enjoyment out of it

what's it like to play against 'the champ' ken climo? what was your impression of him and his ability the very first time you played against him? Kenny is just spot on accurate at what he does, the damn disc always seems to end up under the basket! He was probably scary to play against in his prime!!! I've enjoyed the rounds that i have played with him

what are some of the things that some pros do during a round that drives you bonkers, or that just really screws up a round for you? Just the lack of comraderie and respect for your fellow competitors! I dont need you to whine the whole time about the course or go hunting foot faults or yelling obscenities and creating a scene! I understand getting upset about a bad shot, just dont let it go on for 4 holes! Own up to the fact that you threw the thing and its your fault that you threw it straight into a tree thats not in the fairway

what is the absolute best round that you have personally witnessed? either playing in your group or watching the action?
Schwebby's 56 or 57 at Renny gold in the clash!!! He did it ****ty weather with a few holes of sideways rain!!! It was amazing to watch!!
i appreciate your time and effort here in the forum. i truly admire your smooth, flowing throws and it cracks me up when you throw a great shot and just walk away from the tee without seeing where it lands (although i'm sure you know you 'nailed' it already!)

best of luck with that hip injury.

hope that helps

Hey MJ, I had the pleasure of meeting you at Eastway at the Womens Global Event I was cadding for my girl Felicia also at the Azelea. Couple of questions.
I got the chance to get paired up with Jeb Bryant last month at our monthly, one thing I noticed he did that I was lacking was getting more spin on the disc. So now I've been working on trying to get more spin on the disc. Do you have any drills or advice on this?
What Innova disc would compare to a comet?
How about coming to New Bern for the New years Ripper? I believe the dates are Jan. 26,27. We would love to have you, and I'm sure your pals Schwebby, Terry G, and Wiggins will be there. The course is in great shape.
Definitely my favorite thread of the year!!!
Thanks,
Ted

Innova nas nothing at all like the comet!!!!

a good drill to work on spin and a clean release, plus you can do it watching tv!!!! Is to sit in a chair and throw a disc straight up at the ceiling with as much spin without hitting the ceiling! This will help you get your wrist stronger and show you the feeling of how to break your wrist properly and how important your fingers are at inputing spin on a disc

Innova nas nothing at all like the comet!!!!

a good drill to work on spin and a clean release, plus you can do it watching tv!!!! Is to sit in a chair and throw a disc straight up at the ceiling with as much spin without hitting the ceiling! This will help you get your wrist stronger and show you the feeling of how to break your wrist properly and how important your fingers are at inputing spin on a disc

I do this all the time and my wife makes fun of me. :D

mj, what weight comets do you throw, and why?

I mostly throw full weight just cause they last a bit longer. I do often times use 170-172 weights for when i dont have a backup with me and i need just a bit more turnover than a full weight will do

Love the sig, MJ... The going gets tough from the get go. ;)

Here's a question, if a rec player such as myself happened to be in the Charlotte area next week, would you stoop to play a round or two?

if i'm around, i play with all sorts of levels of players

IIRC, Discraft offers "boats" of discs to TDs for them to use at tournaments and send back the unused discs. But I've never seen any Comets in X plastic available at tournaments. Are those never included in the boats?

i'm not sure about that. I would think the TD could ask to have them in the "boat". That would be my best guess

I'm really enjoying reading this thread. Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions.

Your welcome! Its good to interact with the dg public. The sport needs more of this so that people can learn and be interested in their favorite players for more than just how they chunk a frisbee

Sweet... Thanks for all the responses!

Your welcome! Its good to interact with the dg public. The sport needs more of this so that people can learn and be interested in their favorite players for more than just how they chunk a frisbee

I think this advice would help the sport out exponentially, and I appreciate you getting on here

Random question, have you ever thrown and European plastic? What did u think of it?

go man go, oh brother not another mother****** gonna go now! I do enjoy some good WEEN!

Nice! this isn't mine but I wish it was

8b335a24ad8121db787732934ef3a40906b13b9.jpeg

Hi MJ! (or do you prefer Mike or Michael?)

Ever since I caught sight of you on a youtube video in the other Comet thread a few months ago, you've truly been an inspiration to me. As a first year player, watching you play and getting a few comets have helped me to improve my game so much.

I know you're a Discraft guy through and through since you have your sponsorship, but when you're out for fun, do you ever throw companies' plastic? Are there any discs someone has handed you to try out that you've just been completely blown away by or surprised with in some way? I know you could probably throw a flattened rock more accurately on the course than many of us mere mortals, but it would be nice to have your impressions on what else is out there (if you're allowed to).

Hopefully some day I'll be able to make it out somewhere to see you play in person, but until then, keep up the good work and stay classy!

I think this advice would help the sport out exponentially, and I appreciate you getting on here

Random question, have you ever thrown and European plastic? What did u think of it?

i really havent had the opportunity to throw much of the european plastic yet. So, my opinion isnt worth much on that one yet. I would like to try it out, its fun to kerp up with whats out there and see what everyone is throwing. Plus if i have an idea how it throws and someone in my groups throws one it gives me a read on what the conditions and things are like! Knowledge is a good thing in a singles sport/game

Hi MJ! (or do you prefer Mike or Michael?)

Ever since I caught sight of you on a youtube video in the other Comet thread a few months ago, you've truly been an inspiration to me. As a first year player, watching you play and getting a few comets have helped me to improve my game so much.

I know you're a Discraft guy through and through since you have your sponsorship, but when you're out for fun, do you ever throw companies' plastic? Are there any discs someone has handed you to try out that you've just been completely blown away by or surprised with in some way? I know you could probably throw a flattened rock more accurately on the course than many of us mere mortals, but it would be nice to have your impressions on what else is out there (if you're allowed to).

Hopefully some day I'll be able to make it out somewhere to see you play in person, but until then, keep up the good work and stay classy!

I prefer Michael, but i gladly answer to MJ in the DG world

I do throw other companies stuff when i out messing around. Its good to know what discs are out there and what they do, so i am not at a loss when someone i'm playing against throws something i've never heard of. That being said, its really hard to keep up with everything thats out there now and i really only fiddle with it in the off season. But I do love me some discraft, they treat me amazingly well!!!!

Nothing thats come out lately has really blown me away, but there is some quality stuff out there