• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

now that your head is clear can you give us some grenade tips? you or someone else mentioned it's great for the dense woods which you know is abundant here in NC.

also what are you listening to now?

MJ, you got any stories of weird things happening on the course or incredible birdies/aces?

now that your head is clear can you give us some grenade tips? you or someone else mentioned it's great for the dense woods which you know is abundant here in NC.

Hell ya! Where's that popcorn...

:clap:

i hope thats what this thread does for somebody! :)

It's impossible to overstate how much your time and sharing of knowledge means to a 'tosser' like myself. My experience with this and other sites is that there's two types of experienced players, "natural teachers' and "guardians of knowledge." the latter will take the time to snark a noob with a sincere question if it offends their sense of thread integrity, rather than taking the same amount of time to share their vast experience.

For you, a top dog, to have the attitude you do, is not only a help to those of us sincerely interested in improving our game and "professionalism," but a great example to those that act like key masters of the gate to DG.

I've respected your game for a while, but now I'm a groupie. I'll buy a stack
Of MJ Comets, even if they all wind up at the bottom
Of the pond at The Scrapyard at Idlewild Park.

Just saw Youtube video about grip via your bio at Discraft site. I was wondering if you normally put more pressure on thumb down between your index and middle fingers for max driving and less pressure on thumb for shorter drives?

grenade tips: first thing first, dont try to throw them hard when first attempting them!! Big key, cause you wont be able to throw for a while when your thumb feels like its on fire.
grip- flip the disc upside down and grip it with a fan/stacked style grip. Dont grip it hard as you want it to come out of your hand pretty easily
throwing it- you throw it kinda like you would a hyzer when throwing it over the top of things, but you come more from down to up and release it like shoulder height or slightly higher. your first attempts are liable to come out early, it happens. You want to let your hand kinda release and let your wrist break at the top of your swing.
disc selection- if you want it to go straight up and down use more stable, to break to the right use less stable. i am giving you what it does for a rhbh thrower
i dont throw them much more than like 200-225 ft. its not a long shot but it can get you out of trouble

as to what i'm listening to now a bunch of pink floyd live shows from the early to mid 70s!!

Just saw Youtube video about grip via your bio at Discraft site. I was wondering if you normally put more pressure on thumb down between your index and middle fingers for max driving and less pressure on thumb for shorter drives?

generally that pressure doesnt change to much, but yes a bit more for power shots. The pressure change for me is how much i push back against my pinky, my grip becomes more stacked then instead of a fan

I throw grenades a alot, so to add to MJ's advice, you can get a bit more distance if you throw it like an anhyzer, with a stable disc. it makes it take longer to flip back over. you can definitely experiment with shaping lines with a grenade throw as well.

MJ - obv you don't have to answer this, but is there an Innova disc that you miss that Discraft doesn't have an equiv for?

MJ, you got any stories of weird things happening on the course or incredible birdies/aces?

Aceing hole 11 shorts at lake reidsville,nc with a buzz and wedging it in the basket several years ago in big jerm's face was fun!!!! :)

one of my favs was at VTi(virginia team invitational) a few years back. Playing hole 8 at Hawk Hollow a 1000 ft hole that you throw out of a gap right over the creek and then cross a huge field to the basket. I was playing Brian Skinner in my match and he laced a drive way out there like 400 plus, i get up and deck a tree short of the creek, its only like 200 to cross the creek maybe less, i proceed to realky crush my 2nd shot and leave myself about 375 or so into the pin. Skinner puts has 2nd shot about 90 out, i proceed to throw a force way wide to the right and it skips right into the basket!!!! I think i jumped way in the air for that one!!! It was fun when your teammates are scattered around the course and they see what happens. Billy crump got it on video, prob the biggest reaction to a shot i've ever had

I believe I heard that story when I was at Hawk Hollow earlier this year, what a course. Wish I could see that video, it's hard to imagine 3'ing that hole when you don't even clear the creek off the tee.

I've got a good story about that course as well. We were playing 10 and some local pros were ahead of us so we watched them throw huge hyzers and landed right before the creek in the gap. So we get up there and decide we should play it like that and two of us throw huge hyzers and both end up basically at 1's basket except I was about 30ft left of it.

For some reason I decided it was better to play across the creek, through the trees and across 9's fairway instead of going back to the gap. I thumbered through and got all but about 10' across and out in to the clearing; I was still about 370' from the basket and way left. I threw my up shot, landed about 20' from the basket made the putt and took a 4 to save par. It was funny cuz another guy we were playing with played a perfect tee shot right in to the gap, approached to about 30 and missed his putt to take a 4. Drastically different ways we played the hole and still ended up with the same score.

Aceing hole 11 shorts at lake reidsville,nc with a buzz and wedging it in the basket several years ago in big jerm's face was fun!!!! :)

one of my favs was at VTi(virginia team invitational) a few years back. Playing hole 8 at Hawk Hollow a 1000 ft hole that you throw out of a gap right over the creek and then cross a huge field to the basket. I was playing Brian Skinner in my match and he laced a drive way out there like 400 plus, i get up and deck a tree short of the creek, its only like 200 to cross the creek maybe less, i proceed to realky crush my 2nd shot and leave myself about 375 or so into the pin. Skinner puts has 2nd shot about 90 out, i proceed to throw a force way wide to the right and it skips right into the basket!!!! I think i jumped way in the air for that one!!! It was fun when your teammates are scattered around the course and they see what happens. Billy crump got it on video, prob the biggest reaction to a shot i've ever had

Here's the video from the VTI! The shot happens at 4 minutes and 15 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDxx8h2G9LU#t=4m15s

Mj, glad to have you here and glad youre staying with discraft :) You and scott papa are my favorite two players.

Have you tried any of the sought after z blends for comets like the ron russel, dark blue am nats, yellow ghost z's, or glows?

Especially on that basket. That thing wasn't the pretty thing in site.

Mj, glad to have you here and glad youre staying with discraft :) You and scott papa are my favorite two players.

Have you tried any of the sought after z blends for comets like the ron russel, dark blue am nats, yellow ghost z's, or glows?

i remember throwing the RR ones when they came out, but the others i havent messed with.

Late night, relaxing, do you put on Dark Side of the Moon or Animals?

i like animals more, i have a few shows from that tour that are nuts!!!
In all honesty late night relaxing i would probably put on the live show portion of Ummagumma or some of Syd Barrett's solo stuff

Latest posts