• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

Congrats on the 5th place at the Silver Cup. Funny how your first and second rounds were exactly 1 point lower than your third and fourth. That's pretty consistent. Have you played Silver Creek and Rollin Ridge before? What did you think of them?

This was my first time playing those courses. I really liked Rollin ridge and silver cup was fun just a little short for pro caliber players.

Junked my md3's and went back to the roc/comet combo. Cannot believe I ever took the comet out. I've hit more incredible shots in the last week than I have in a while now. The comet just does things other discs cannot!

Also MJ you are hands down my favorite player to watch. I love that you throw And walk away.. So much confidence! It's like you mic drop after every drive.
This is what I like to hear! More comets in everyone's bags

Heat?

Nice shooting at the Silver Cup.

Are you still throwing the Heat? As an old guy it seems like an under-advertised handy disc to have -- it's like a Sidewinder/roadrunner only a little farther/faster with a straighter flight -- not as much need to flip it (work left-to-right mid-flight rhbh) to get it to fly straight/far. Also, the rim height/feel/width works well with a forehand mirroring what I can do with a backhand.

With your speed/distance/torque you must be flipping it a lot when you throw it -- yes?

What shot(s) are you throwing with it and what plastics?

If you've answered this, I'll go back and find it -- I have to have a disc geeky post once a year or so just to keep my addict status active.

MJ, nice job scrambling for par in the last round on 18, looked like you were in serious jail in those woods!

I picked up a Discraft ESP XL at the Mad City Open a few weeks ago from a used bin for $5 (it was actually new with the $15 sticker still on it). What a great disc when you need a longer laser straight throw -- did you ever bag an XL?

MJ, nice job scrambling for par in the last round on 18, looked like you were in serious jail in those woods!

I picked up a Discraft ESP XL at the Mad City Open a few weeks ago from a used bin for $5 (it was actually new with the $15 sticker still on it). What a great disc when you need a longer laser straight throw -- did you ever bag an XL?

Maybe I'm forgetting... but didn't the XL kick the Cyclone out of MJ's bag way-back-when? I'm betting the Mantis is currently in this spot, but I might be wrong.

I have an old omega supersoft putter with no run numbers on it. How old is it and is it worth anything?

Parked a 1200' par 3 yesterday with my x comet! It's hole 18 at Solitude ski resort. Downhill the whole way I started it out way left and let it turn over toward the bucket. Crazy it had a chance to ace! Comet is amazing I've never experienced a flight path quite like it.

Nice shooting at the Silver Cup.

Are you still throwing the Heat? As an old guy it seems like an under-advertised handy disc to have -- it's like a Sidewinder/roadrunner only a little farther/faster with a straighter flight -- not as much need to flip it (work left-to-right mid-flight rhbh) to get it to fly straight/far. Also, the rim height/feel/width works well with a forehand mirroring what I can do with a backhand.

With your speed/distance/torque you must be flipping it a lot when you throw it -- yes?

What shot(s) are you throwing with it and what plastics?

If you've answered this, I'll go back and find it -- I have to have a disc geeky post once a year or so just to keep my addict status active.

2nd this query. I had a tourney stamped one that I lost recently and it was money. :doh:
I think it was Z and domey but I'm not sure. Really thinking hard about getting another one for those frozen rope flights again.

2nd this query. I had a tourney stamped one that I lost recently and it was money. :doh:
I think it was Z and domey but I'm not sure. Really thinking hard about getting another one for those frozen rope flights again.
Yes, I still carry a heat in my bag. I use it mostly for longer hyzer flips in the woods, long turnovers where I need more distance than my mantis. Pretty much only use the z ones of them. I like how easy I can throw them and how far they go with that little amount of effort. I like throwing discs where you have to control the amount of spin and power you put on them

I have two awesome first run z comets that I wouldn't trade for anything. The one I throw has the big z stamp in the middle. Then there is the day glow yellow that has the comet stamp from the elite x comet. WHY ARE COMETS SO AWESOME

I have two awesome first run z comets that I wouldn't trade for anything. The one I throw has the big z stamp in the middle. Then there is the day glow yellow that has the comet stamp from the elite x comet. WHY ARE COMETS SO AWESOME

They are awesome cause they are the **** and do almost anything you ask of them. And do it with very little effort 😁

just jumped on the comet train and well I'm a smitten kitten! last time i threw one i had no business trying it out. a few years later my form is better and these comets just do work! MJ i have loved watching you play and your humbleness with this thread confirms that you are one of the most approachable down to earth pro out there. my first toss in the practice field with my big comet sailed 330 and took like 45 minutes to get there! my wife who is not a disc golfer said holy cow I've never seen a disc fly like that! there are a few holes around here i have had issues with but the comet laughs at them and have given me birdies where i was lucky to get pars! thanks mj for your presence here! long live the comet!

They are awesome cause they are the **** and do almost anything you ask of them. And do it with very little effort 😁
For real. They hold any type of line i put them on. Forehand anny flick, backhand anny, straight, backhand hyzer. They hold the line for the entire flight and its amazing

Was hoping to see you in the Majestic and Worlds, the Majestic seemed like your kind of course.

Staying out for the Majestic , left me on the road longer than i wanted to be and the world's courses aren't very good for my game. So I am taking it off and going to practice for the ledgestone