• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

Comet lovers - what do you guys think of complementing Comets in the bag with very different mids? For a while I tried to get a comet/rancho roc thing going, but decided I wanted to throw stable mids both BH and FH, and have since switched to pairing buzzzzes or truths/verdicts with comets. This way I get to eat my cake by comfortably forehanding my mids, while having my cake too by bagging the wonderful Comet which doesn't mind being powered down.

Or is it better to throw a max weight glo comet or rancho roc as your OS comet? Thoughts? MJ?

I bag a Comet and carry 2 Buzzz's and one Drone, but the Drone will probably be out of the bag before long, as I barely throw it during rounds. I think the Buzzz/Comet pairing is great, as long as you don't mind the difference in feel. Also, I love forehanding my Comet on occasion, mainly for forehand anny shots that don't need to go to far. Different than a Buzzz forehand, but it's a useful "get out of trouble" shot.

Comet lovers - what do you guys think of complementing Comets in the bag with very different mids? For a while I tried to get a comet/rancho roc thing going, but decided I wanted to throw stable mids both BH and FH, and have since switched to pairing buzzzzes or truths/verdicts with comets. This way I get to eat my cake by comfortably forehanding my mids, while having my cake too by bagging the wonderful Comet which doesn't mind being powered down.

Or is it better to throw a max weight glo comet or rancho roc as your OS comet? Thoughts? MJ?

Glow Wasp, Hornet, DX Cobra, Z Comet (x2), R-Pro Cro.

If it were me I'd probably just have 2-3 Comets in various stabilities (maybe a KC Pro Roc for beefy Comet) and fill those other gaps with really slow drivers (like a Squall) or fast putters (like a Zone). Part of the appeal of a Comet to me is throwing the Comet as a bell cow mid instead of mid by committee, so you develop that familiarity and make it dance. DC actually works well for this with lots of good throwing putters and some slower drivers like Stalker, Mantis, etc.

I'm with BroDave I used to run two Comets, a Z glow Buzzz and a Stalker. His Stalker suggestion would get two thumbs up from me if that was an option, throws very similiar to a Comet just higher speed.

I'm sure you've answered this somewhere in the string of pages, but damned if I didn't see it.

Primarily in regard to comets, do you only throw max weight?

What makes you decide to throw the Hornet instead of the Wasp?

Hornet is a much better FH disc for me than the Wasp. Also better for a spike hyzer type shot. I've toyed with dropping it since I bag a Zone, but I just feel better with it in the bag.

I switched back to throwing my Ledgestone Ti Comet. I feel that this is the best plastic to run the Comet in.
MJ, are there any plans for another special run of Ti this year? I need some backups and missed your special run last year.

All this love for the Comet makes a Meteor man feel alone

Don't worry. I share the meteor love with you. I haven't thrown a comet in years, but my form is so jacked up that I couldn't get consistent with them. I feel like the Meteor is more consistent with what I want it to do.

Not everybody can make the transition from Buzzz directly to Comet. The meteor will be your gateway on the road to a much more fulfilling midrange ;)

True that. The Buzzz is more of a power midrange, it wants to be thrown hard and on line drives. The comet couldn't be more the opposite. It wants to be thrown like a putter and let the glide do the work.

Also a question - the comet will likely always be available in Z and X, but do they still do regular runs of ESP and Ti? I'd like to try a Ti, and if the ESPs are the right shape (similar to my 2R LE) I'd love to have easy stock of those also.

I'd like to try a Ti, and if the ESPs are the right shape (similar to my 2R LE) I'd love to have easy stock of those also.

ESP's are stock. I have a small stash of the firmer ESP's with a little higher shoulder than the current runs. I only throw these when it gets colder. They still have the same flight as a fresh max weight Z. The Ti's are getting hard to come by. I'm down to my last 2k15 Ledgestone :\

Anyway...back to MJ and the multitude of questions we throw at him. Looking to 2018...any plans to hit new areas of the US while on touring?

I generally carry Star Shark, Vector, Mako/Mako3, Axis, and Z Comet (162-164g). When I shorten the bag it is usually only by dropping one of the overstables, but depending on the course can drop the Axis or Mako. I find uses for all of them. Lately the Comet is the most used, but there are things that the others are definitely better at, such as line drives, thumbers, tomohawks, headwinds, etc.

I bag 2-3 comets and pair it with a legacy ghost for headwinds. Usually if I do something awesome it was with a comet!

Latest posts