• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

They're on the stiffer side with a taller shoulder and a mild dome. They have no tooling anywhere (think it was the only run like that) and do start a little beefier. Really nice Comets.

No, I don't use stalkers. I use mantis, undertakers and sometimes heats, so I really never had a spot in my bag for it. Think I might be the only discraft pro who doesn't use a buzz haha

I've actually just cycled the Buzzz out of my bag currently. However I still have a Buzzz SS, Buzzz OS and Wasp in there, but the Wasp is probably going back out for a Buzzz, it was for a particular tournament where I just didn't need mid ranges that much except for a couple of shots where the Wasp was a bit better suited.

They are great! Wish more people would use them

The Mantis is starting to take over my bag. I'm currently bagging 2, one Big Z 169 that I use for Thumbers and turn over shots. A First run Z 175 that I'm using for more straight shots and just ordered 3 (gotta have backups) Cryztal versions for a tad bit more stability, especially now that I'm starting to use these for forehands.

Not enough love is given to the production run mantis. It is the living embodiment of the perfect mythical woods diriver. If you are a woods player, the mantis will lower your scores.

I agree. The mantis is like discrafts sidewinder. Will turn for distance right out the box and have enough stability to fight back at the end of its flight. I feel like the Crank is the faster mantis. More ppl should know just how great these 2 discs are.

I agree. The mantis is like discrafts sidewinder. Will turn for distance right out the box and have enough stability to fight back at the end of its flight. I feel like the Crank is the faster mantis. More ppl should know just how great these 2 discs are.

Yes! I picked up a X Mantis because of the comments here, and threw it in the field today. Loved it. I even got slightly more distance than I get with the sidewinder (I throw those too). One thing I was surprised about was how domey the mantis is. I guess I will have to look into a crank, too.

Yes! I picked up a X Mantis because of the comments here, and threw it in the field today. Loved it. I even got slightly more distance than I get with the sidewinder (I throw those too). One thing I was surprised about was how domey the mantis is. I guess I will have to look into a crank, too.

Totally, these babies fly. Mine is a domey X as well, high 160s. Sidewinders have more turn for me when thrown at the same angle, where the X Mantis locks dead straight and doesn't leave until its mellow LSS kicks in. Same D more or less, just different routes.

X Cranks are sick pop tops that bomb with the same power level and angle. If you're throwing an X Mantis out to 375+, you'll love an X Crank.

This thread should be renamed "The Ask MJ About Any Mold MJ Throws Love Thread"

Last edited:
Question for MJ and the rest of the folks here that have thrown the 3rd run LE Comets...

After losing another 3rd run LE in a flooded creek yesterday I'm down to just two remaining from that wonderful run. Are there any off-the-shelf Comets that are similar to that in flight? I'm not really the type to hunt after rare discs so I would rather just replace it with something similar that's readily available. The production ESP Comets are molding up too flat and flippy. While that's not a bad thing, I do prefer my Comets to start stable then beat into understable. The 3rd runs are amazing.

I don't remember throwing that run of esp comets. We're they more stable? Stiff or softer?

They're on the stiffer side with a taller shoulder and a mild dome. They have no tooling anywhere (think it was the only run like that) and do start a little beefier. Really nice Comets.

I think i have one of these no tooling comets, not 100% percent sure its a 3rd run LE ESP Comet. Threw it several times in a field and remember it being noticeably more stable. Possibly for sale if anyone is interested

If there's no tooling, and it's ESP, it's a 3rd run. The first two runs had the original tooling. The third had none. The production runs have the new tooling.

Question for the Comet gurus, is there any difference between the old Elite X Comets with the fireball stamp and the current run X Comets.

I think i have one of these no tooling comets, not 100% percent sure its a 3rd run LE ESP Comet. Threw it several times in a field and remember it being noticeably more stable. Possibly for sale if anyone is interested

It is a 3rd run LE ESP. The 1st and 2nd runs had tooling, 3rd run is the only LE run without tooling. They do start out pretty stable (you can really lay into them and they will hold) but over time beat into really controllable turnover discs.

There's not really a lot of reason right now to pay for older plastic. Today's blends seem to be amazing across the board.

Reason I ask is I picked up a 8/10 LE ESP Comet in a used bin for $8. It's definitley the Comet I've been looking for, easy turnover and glidey hyzer flip. I've read that the new ESP runs aren't the same and the X would be the next best thing. Been throwing a Ti that might get there eventually.

Guess I'll grab a couple max weight X and see how I like them.

So is the Mantis more understable than something like an FD then? Or is it about the same stability just with more wiggle?

Reason I ask is I picked up a 8/10 LE ESP Comet in a used bin for $8. It's definitley the Comet I've been looking for, easy turnover and glidey hyzer flip. I've read that the new ESP runs aren't the same and the X would be the next best thing. Been throwing a Ti that might get there eventually.

Guess I'll grab a couple max weight X and see how I like them.

I have one of the 3rd run ESP no-tooling LE Comets and a stock X Comet in my bag right now. The LE is a bit more stable than the X, but it was my backup so it's virtually new because it's been sitting in a bin, and just went in the bag. That probably accounts for the extra stability.

Question for the Comet gurus, is there any difference between the old Elite X Comets with the fireball stamp and the current run X Comets.

The plastic is different as well.
I like the old ones and pick one up every time I get a chance

The plastic is different as well.
I like the old ones and pick one up every time I get a chance

I went ahead and grabbed 2 max weight from Marshall Street for $15 apiece so maybe I paid $6 for kinda cool stamps. After the chalky wiped off, it definitely seems to have more grip than the few newer X discs I've thrown. I expect it will wear in about like newer X.

One round of field practice and it seems to hold the same lines as my LE ESP, maybe a little touchier. Definitely less stable than my slightly beat Ti. Think I'll bag the X and Ti. Love the ESP but I'm paranoid to thow a rare disc. Might as well put it up.

I went ahead and grabbed 2 max weight from Marshall Street for $15 apiece so maybe I paid $6 for kinda cool stamps. After the chalky wiped off, it definitely seems to have more grip than the few newer X discs I've thrown. I expect it will wear in about like newer X.

One round of field practice and it seems to hold the same lines as my LE ESP, maybe a little touchier. Definitely less stable than my slightly beat Ti. Think I'll bag the X and Ti. Love the ESP but I'm paranoid to thow a rare disc. Might as well put it up.

They changed the x plastic some several years ago

Just wanted to chime in and say I am absolutely loving the Johansen sig Z Comet. It is quickly becoming my most-thrown disc and the plastic is amazing. Good stuff! Anyone who likes throwing Comets definitely needs to pick one up.

Latest posts