• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

I used to throw D Bangers for all putter tee shots and upshots. I always loved how easy it is to hit gaps with them. Something about that GT helps the release vector. Seems like the D version really gets squirrely once they break in though. They lose high-speed stability but not the low speed stability.

In any case, I'm thinking about the Z or Crystal FLX versions. Are those are pretty stable, or not as stable as I might suspect? I saw a new Z Banger in Seattle last week and the dome seemed to be more pronounced than the D versions. This might be a great attribute.

Seems like that new Ti plastic would be perfect for the Banger.

The new z and flx ones are nice and stable. I used d ones new and really beat up. They are great touch upshot discs when broken in. Ti bangers would be sweet.
I like the GT because my thumb placement doesnt move and gives me a uniform grip for all my upshots

Mj question....today I was doing field work...I was getting my wizard out around 240ish...my buzzz probably 280-285, and my drivers only like 300 (other than my saint probably 325) Why is the distance not jumping up? What can I do to change this?

A lot of the difference is due to the amount of spin you produce. And learning how to get cleaner releases and allow your wrist and hand to be able to move and not lock them in place. They should be free flowing and loose

Trying to catch back up for you guys, have had some family health issues, so i apologize for the delays on answering questions. I will try and get to the all

Do you know what happened to the 18th basket at Hornet's Nest? It was missing when I played Sunday.

A lot of the difference is due to the amount of spin you produce. And learning how to get cleaner releases and allow your wrist and hand to be able to move and not lock them in place. They should be free flowing and loose
I think I may be holding the disc to tight....Thank you sir
Trying to catch back up for you guys, have had some family health issues, so i apologize for the delays on answering questions. I will try and get to the all

You don't have to apologize what you are doing is awesome for the sport, and us disc nerds in particular! How everything is good with the family

Not that you need any more flattery MJ, but you've been my favorite player since I first saw you play. Looks like your arm moves in slow-mo, much love.

Holy crap I read the whole thing!!! I've had this thread up in a tab on Firefox for the last week or so and will occasionally click on it and read several more pages. Now what do I do w/myself? :)

MJ>Great thread. It's always really nice to see people who are down to earth and happy to chill w/whoever is around, no cliques. Given the massive love for the Comet on these forums and the constant advice to use them for working on form, my next order has 3 X Comets coming my way, as soon as my money deposits heh.

I've been searching for a favorite putter recently. I started disc golf w/a Soft Magnet last year and then suddenly I had 6 putters last month. Aviar (my daughter's disc), SSS Warlock, Eraser Wizard, Neutron Ion and Eclipse Anode. I haven't actually thrown the Anode much yet, but my recent rounds I dropped down to the Wizard and Ion and they seem to be taking turns making really nice putts for me. My Wizard helped me make a 30' putt today and normally I never make those :)

I have been thinking of exploring a lower profile putter like a Star Wedge and this thread brought the Ringer to my attention. Do you have much experience w/the Wizard or Ion and if so can you comment on how that switch might go? I've also become curious about the DD Classic Judge, which seems to get billed as a slightly squished Wizard. Maybe that would be a better direction. Not sure. Sucks there are no stores besides 2 PIAS and Dicks in town to buy discs. Nothing non-Innova and a few Discraft at all.

BTW, the Comet w/your face someone worked up just makes me think in a weird way of Aphex Twin putting his face on everything on his albums and in his videos. Less disturbing than his use of that technique in a video like Come to Daddy or Windowlicker, but it's basically the same headshot style.

I'm also still sad Ween is no more. Got into them when Pure Guava came out back in '93 and only got to see them one time when they were playing Iowa City, IA back in '99 on the Paintin' the Town Brown tour. I had a couple of friends who played disc golf back then but never got invited out and just thought it sounded kind of odd. I wish I had started back then. My 7 1/2 y daughter is getting nicely addicted now tho, which is pretty awesome. Someone handed her a Comet to throw one night and she hurled it pretty well. I may have her bag one of those 3 I'm buying when they come in.

Keep up the great playing and posting and we'll keep reading this thread man. I hope things are clearing up w/your family and that things will be back in order soon. If you come up to any of the Louisville area tourneys I'll probably be taking my daughter w/me and I'll say hi. My 5 yo gets a bit bored w/disc golf yet heh. Charlie Vettiner Open in late July. They're using Feldberg's win the last 2 years to advertise so I'm guessing they may have him in again to defend his title. Would be great to see your Comets tearing up Charlie Vettiner and Seviren Lang. I'm still counting my par holes on one hand most days, so I won't play, but I'm enjoying the heck out of getting better since I got laid off last month :)

EDIT: Wow, rambley. At least it isn't a wall of text heh

I played with a guy last Sunday who said you do clinics on weekends...is this true?

If so, where and what time?

If not, would you? I've got a few friends (myself included) that need help cleaning up their form, and would jump at the chance to get a lesson from you.

Hey MJ. I have old TP comets that I love. I snagged a stack of ESP comets when they were rerun and I was wondering if you feel like they ever beat into something similar to a TP Comet? Other than X and TP I don't really like any of them... but then again I still haven't given the ESP enough time to beat in.

I am a lefty backhand player and like how I can control a comet for righty hyzer shots. Do you use drivers that are like longer range comets? Are there any you would suggest (understable being the obvious answer).

Hey MJ. One of the questions I had buried in that post of mine on the last page was asking if you would be making it up to Louisville for the Charlie Vettiner Open this year. It's on July 27th and 28th.

Followup to that question, if you will make it up, have any lower weight starter discs for my 7 1/2 yr old who's been playing for about a month? *grin* Yeah, I'm shameless that way.

Hey MJ. One of the questions I had buried in that post of mine on the last page was asking if you would be making it up to Louisville for the Charlie Vettiner Open this year. It's on July 27th and 28th.

Followup to that question, if you will make it up, have any lower weight starter discs for my 7 1/2 yr old who's been playing for about a month? *grin* Yeah, I'm shameless that way.

I kinda doubt i will be able to make it out there unfortunately. Otherwise i would bring you some stuff for your munchkin

I played with a guy last Sunday who said you do clinics on weekends...is this true?

If so, where and what time?

If not, would you? I've got a few friends (myself included) that need help cleaning up their form, and would jump at the chance to get a lesson from you.

I have done clinics, but not many.

Hey MJ. I have old TP comets that I love. I snagged a stack of ESP comets when they were rerun and I was wondering if you feel like they ever beat into something similar to a TP Comet? Other than X and TP I don't really like any of them... but then again I still haven't given the ESP enough time to beat in.

I am a lefty backhand player and like how I can control a comet for righty hyzer shots. Do you use drivers that are like longer range comets? Are there any you would suggest (understable being the obvious answer).

I only use x and z comets.
My answer on drivers that are like comets are xl's and cyclones

Latest posts