• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

More looking to get a reflection of the way you play and what you admire and who are your disc golf buddies local or otherwise.

MJ when do you use the Buzzz over the Comet?

Any tips for throwing Comet like discs on windy days, or is that what the Buzzz and Hornet is for?

i only use the buzz over the comet when its really a power turnover or a hyzer shot that needs to move a lot left late. Also depends if its a low ceiling or not, that makes a big difference.

windy days can be tough, cause down wind the comet will go forever, so you have to be careful. and yes thats one of the reasons that i have a hornet in the bag. You have to be really careful about reducing the flutter out of your hand on windy days

More looking to get a reflection of the way you play and what you admire and who are your disc golf buddies local or otherwise.

my disc golf buddies are Schwebby, Terry Gallops, Lil Wiggins, Matt Dollar, Brad Schick, Josh Childs, Steve Braud, John E Mcray, Brian Mcree, people along those lines

i like and admire people who can compete and still interact with there fellow competitors. That enjoy the game for what it is, FUN.

there are a ton of people that i really enjoy playing golf with who i greatly respect! It would be a long list, the shorter one is for who i dont enjoy playing golf with and that one stays private

i saw jon e mcray practicing for the usdgc this year. definitely a sight to behold.

hope you make it out to sawmills tomorrow!

MJ, what's your top 5 favorite courses and your favorite course in the Raleigh/Durham area?

Cool thanks for the response

Can you remember what your "furthest drive" has been (or about)?

i dont know, on flat ground maybe like 560-570ish. i've thrown a few off of cliffs and things that went waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy further!!!!::clap:

MJ - do you have a favorite course out here in the western NC mountains?

MJ, what's your top 5 favorite courses and your favorite course in the Raleigh/Durham area?

top 5 hornets nest-any layout, maple hill, the blockhouse, bracketts bluff, bradford

my fave in the raleigh area is probably zeb or the country course

MJ - do you have a favorite course out here in the western NC mountains?

i enjoy mars hill! there are some new ones out there that i havent played yet, so its kind of a dated favorite. havent played up that way in a few years unfortunately

How about here in the Piedmont/Triad what course is your fave?

that first crowd you listed is quite the laid back crowd. I haven't been around Terry Gallops in a few years but when I was in Raleigh he was starting his Pro career and he was a bit intense and intimidating (doesn't help he's like 6'6").

you mentioned that you don't really travel anymore. Do you think there will be a splitting of factions among pros? do you think it will be the young guys on the road vs. the older hometown heroes in the coming years?

This is my kinda thread.
So my intro to the comet is related the OP. I had a perfectly seasoned DX Ching roc in the bag that was my baby. Predictable beat in straight as an arrow. just taht go to disc. Well Hole 4 at the Castle during the 2011 Azalea Tournament took it form me. Hit a tree off the tee and crack...good buy roc.
Everything i had in my bag and for back up was brand new and hella overstable. The club (which i run) had just placed a Discraft order after the tournament and they sent is the sexiest Clear Z Comet i had ever seen. i recieve the orders so i get first crack at what comes in. $15.00 later that bad boy was all mine. I took it to the Castle and started throwing to see what it would do. The rest is history. the Z-Comet right out of the box was the straightest disc i have ever thrown. and the glide is unparaleld. I now have a Glow Z-comet in the bag as i lost the clear one and taht disc flies the exact same as the clear Z i got. just straight as an arrow with the least amount of fade for a mid-range i have ever seen. Also a lot of people say oh that disc holds what ever line you put it on. but most don't. i can say for a fact that the comet holds what ever line you put it on!! I LOVE the COMET!

My question to you hippy is how can we get Discraft to bring back the ESP? the Z is great but they are taking a little while to beat in so i am hoping to get something to get flippy a little quicker. I was hoping to get some X-Comets but discraft didn't send us any white ones in the last order.

How about here in the Piedmont/Triad what course is your fave?

that first crowd you listed is quite the laid back crowd. I haven't been around Terry Gallops in a few years but when I was in Raleigh he was starting his Pro career and he was a bit intense and intimidating (doesn't help he's like 6'6").

you mentioned that you don't really travel anymore. Do you think there will be a splitting of factions among pros? do you think it will be the young guys on the road vs. the older hometown heroes in the coming years?

i like lake reidsville and enjoy the temp course at festival park

i dont know what will happen on the road, its kinda a young guys thing to be out there right now, but you never know what will happen. I've just never gotten in to being on the road for weeks on end, kinda a homebody

This is my kinda thread.
So my intro to the comet is related the OP. I had a perfectly seasoned DX Ching roc in the bag that was my baby. Predictable beat in straight as an arrow. just taht go to disc. Well Hole 4 at the Castle during the 2011 Azalea Tournament took it form me. Hit a tree off the tee and crack...good buy roc.
Everything i had in my bag and for back up was brand new and hella overstable. The club (which i run) had just placed a Discraft order after the tournament and they sent is the sexiest Clear Z Comet i had ever seen. i recieve the orders so i get first crack at what comes in. $15.00 later that bad boy was all mine. I took it to the Castle and started throwing to see what it would do. The rest is history. the Z-Comet right out of the box was the straightest disc i have ever thrown. and the glide is unparaleld. I now have a Glow Z-comet in the bag as i lost the clear one and taht disc flies the exact same as the clear Z i got. just straight as an arrow with the least amount of fade for a mid-range i have ever seen. Also a lot of people say oh that disc holds what ever line you put it on. but most don't. i can say for a fact that the comet holds what ever line you put it on!! I LOVE the COMET!

My question to you hippy is how can we get Discraft to bring back the ESP? the Z is great but they are taking a little while to beat in so i am hoping to get something to get flippy a little quicker. I was hoping to get some X-Comets but discraft didn't send us any white ones in the last order.

i love a good big wave sighting!!!! i dont know what to do about getting them to run more esp comets, i am not privy to that info and havent really asked to be honest with you. If you wouldnt be so picky about the white thing it would be easy for you. I'll hold on to any white x comets i get and give them to you next time i see you. The Zs do take a bit to break in, i agree with that

If you wouldnt be so picky about the white thing it would be easy for you.
I know i know. they are just so pretty all white and what not

I'll hold on to any white x comets i get and give them to you next time i see you.
i have said it once i will say it many more times. MJ is the best dude in Disc Golf!

The Zs do take a bit to break in, i agree with that
I guess i could try to hit more trees.