• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

M.J. is there a specific outfit you wear in tourneys because it feels like you perform better in it.I have my vans, g shock, express rocco jeans, and a fitted silverstein shirt I bought at a show.

i dont have a particular outfit i wear that i think helps me perform. I do wear stuff that is comfy to me that allows for good movement, but nothing completely specific.

i feel like i would out think myself doing that and get myself off of what i like to do

MJ I checked your results from Savannah. You had a good showing. How do you feel about your performance?

i felt prett good, all things considered. I ran out of energy in my hip by sunday, but i knew it would be a struggle getting back into form. It was my first time playing 2 days in a row since the first couple days of december and i ended up playing 3 days including friday! I felt happy i could compete and my hip wasnt in severe pain and is making good progress. Its a good sign that i can be healthy and playing well in the next few months

Just curious which Layout at hornet's you like better? Web or original?

i like original better, but thats just caused i have played it for so long! Web is not far behind it though, between the two layouts its a great practice facility for me!!!!

I would still like to see a brief "Putting with MJ" tutorial vid. I thought I had moved to a more MJ like putt for a bit, but some wobble has started to creep in.

i need to get up with someone to video one for me, i have some ideas on how to do one now

well if we can ever get that lesson scheduled, I'd be more than happy to video your putting instruction. I would probably have to get someone else to edit it if need be.

well if we can ever get that lesson scheduled, I'd be more than happy to video your putting instruction. I would probably have to get someone else to edit it if need be.

i should have some time in early feb

Any words of advice for a lefty other than lots of anny/forehand practice? Locally, I struggle with holes where the grade falls of to the right into OB (especially RL Smith 4, 7, 8 and 9). Who's the best lefty you've played with?

Anyone see Big Jerm's recent FB posting :) He could learn from MJ on how to approach the game mentally :)

There was no good reason to publish that post. I had a lot of bottled up emotion after the event this past weekend and I let my anger get the best of me. I have been trying to address my temper my whole career. It has been my biggest obstacle and my biggest insecurity. My biggest goal for 2013 and on is to not be known for things like this. I really want to be known as the person that I am off the course which I think is a pretty nice person :) It's going to take time to prove to the masses that this is what I want most but trust me, I'm working hard on it. I have a ton of respect for MJ and his mental approach to the game. The way he let's the bad shots/ bad breaks roll off back is certainly a quality that I admire. That being said, I'm not MJ! There is only one MJ, and I wouldn't expect anyone else in the game to handle the pressure of playing at the top level the way he does. We are all so different and the strategies that one player uses for staying focused and driven might not/ probably won't work for another player. Staying positive is the biggest key and I'm more positive thinking now than I have ever been before. I'm looking forward to the 2013 season and being a roll model for upcoming players!

It certainly is not easy to keep the voices down in your head. I know I'm struggling with the same. Some people are just better at letting things go than others.

There was no good reason to publish that post. I had a lot of bottled up emotion after the event this past weekend and I let my anger get the best of me. I have been trying to address my temper my whole career. It has been my biggest obstacle and my biggest insecurity. My biggest goal for 2013 and on is to not be known for things like this. I really want to be known as the person that I am off the course which I think is a pretty nice person :) It's going to take time to prove to the masses that this is what I want most but trust me, I'm working hard on it. I have a ton of respect for MJ and his mental approach to the game. The way he let's the bad shots/ bad breaks roll off back is certainly a quality that I admire. That being said, I'm not MJ! There is only one MJ, and I wouldn't expect anyone else in the game to handle the pressure of playing at the top level the way he does. We are all so different and the strategies that one player uses for staying focused and driven might not/ probably won't work for another player. Staying positive is the biggest key and I'm more positive thinking now than I have ever been before. I'm looking forward to the 2013 season and being a roll model for upcoming players!

i'm glad you took it down and i understand your frustration after the end of the event. I hope you do get better at controlling your anger on the course, its good to admit it and to begin to work on it. I hope its a success because you definitely have some damn good dg skills

My inner child can be a baby at times. Just because I don't let others see it doesn't mean it isn't there. Sometimes I just chose to walk away. I always tell myself that no matter what happens I have to go to work on Monday. That may not be your answer but you can think of something constant in your life to susbstitute. Good luck this year.

Thanks Chris. I have never thought there was anything wrong with showing a little emotion on the course as long as it's not excessive/ insulting/ distracting. Anyone who spends as much time on their craft or takes their craft as seriously as we all do understandably has strong feelings when things go awry. It's the self control and humility that sets us all apart in the public's eye. Thanks for advice!

Thread jack coming,

Big Jerm, how in the hell did you develop such a smooth and ridiculous looking side arm drive? It's a thing of beauty to watch.

/thread jack

MJ,
If you and Schweby were to play a round of mini golf, who'd win?

LOL! I'll pick Schwebby all day in mini. I saw him make something like 7 out of 10 putts with a mini from across Kirk Yoo's living room while looking directly at me and I was no where near the mini basket! I'll never forget that. The sidearm has always been natural for me and I think that it comes from many things. 1. I have long arms and can create more arm speed with seemingly less effort. 2. I always played catch as a kid throwing somewhat from the side, be that a baseball, football or frisbee. 3. I use and trust understable discs that will flip up and carry as opposed to chucking overstable discs hard with anny. It's going to be tough to lengthen your arms and I'm pretty sure that no one plans on reliving their childhood so that they can adjust the way they played catch growing up but anyone can out to the field and practice the basics of a smooth sidearm. Keep your palm up, elbow in and snap that wrist forward on release!

Great to admit the issues and set goals to improve. Execute a shot and does what you expect/want (or better) then great. If not what you expect, then tell yourself what you need to do better then forget the past and focus on the present. I think a very good book to read is "Learn to Win: One Shot at a Time" by Dr. Morris Pickens. I really like Dr. Mo's idea of 4 r's routines (refocus, routine, react, relax). I use his approach and I really like it and continue to do so and it sure helps me to really have fun in this great game.

I think that initially my biggest problem was handling my temper when I was playing poorly. I have become much better at that over time. I throw bad shots all the time so I better get used to it! Lol, no but really, I have a deeper respect for the fact that bad shots inevitably happen and I'm not worried that bad play will cause an outburst. My frustrations have now turned more towards a misunderstanding of logistics and speaking my mind when it would just serve me better to shut it. I'm only going to offer my .02 when it is asked for and do my damnedest to be as diplomatic as possible.

Latest posts