• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

What do you think about throwing ringers? How does a D ringer's flight compare to all of the types of bangers you throw? Why did you choose bangers or challengers, and did you notice a difference in flight? Why do you like putting with ringers, is it all in the feel? Thanks

I'm not trying to step on MJ's toes here, but have you looked through the Technique forum? It should prove to be a very useful resource to help you learn any throw's form. I would start here first.

I threw predominantly FH for almost 7 years before finally working on developing a BH. The links I provided above are what I used, and it's been a painless, easy process so far.

I dont mind the help at all

I'm not trying to step on MJ's toes here, but have you looked through the Technique forum? It should prove to be a very useful resource to help you learn any throw's form. I would start here first.

I threw predominantly FH for almost 7 years before finally working on developing a BH. The links I provided above are what I used, and it's been a painless, easy process so far.

thank you much apperciated

Wondering what you think of the tracker and if its a disc you throw. I just picked up an esp one yesterday to replace a tl I lost. So far I like it. Fills a nice slot in my fairway game.

I just found this forum and wanted to spread the comet love. I saw you play during the Hickory Classic at Glenn Hilton both days for the first round. the course is like a mile from my house and my neighbor Richard said I needed to see you play. and wow I was amazed. I had never heard of the comet and had bought a meteor but hated it cuz the rim felt so weird.. but I saw you use ur comets and rip up my little short course lol. I bought a comet the next week and it is my favorite mid I've ever used!! I play with my friends and they complain because that thing will hit any line you want its fantastic!
Question: What have you shot at Glenn Hilton?

You got it, thats all i use it for. I throw bangers

I used to throw D Bangers for all putter tee shots and upshots. I always loved how easy it is to hit gaps with them. Something about that GT helps the release vector. Seems like the D version really gets squirrely once they break in though. They lose high-speed stability but not the low speed stability.

In any case, I'm thinking about the Z or Crystal FLX versions. Are those are pretty stable, or not as stable as I might suspect? I saw a new Z Banger in Seattle last week and the dome seemed to be more pronounced than the D versions. This might be a great attribute.

Seems like that new Ti plastic would be perfect for the Banger.

I used to throw D Bangers for all putter tee shots and upshots. I always loved how easy it is to hit gaps with them. Something about that GT helps the release vector. Seems like the D version really gets squirrely once they break in though. They lose high-speed stability but not the low speed stability.

In any case, I'm thinking about the Z or Crystal FLX versions. Are those are pretty stable, or not as stable as I might suspect? I saw a new Z Banger in Seattle last week and the dome seemed to be more pronounced than the D versions. This might be a great attribute.

Seems like that new Ti plastic would be perfect for the Banger.

The z's are nice and stable

I willcatch up on the rest of the questions tomorrow. Sorry, have had a lot going on lately

Mj question....today I was doing field work...I was getting my wizard out around 240ish...my buzzz probably 280-285, and my drivers only like 300 (other than my saint probably 325) Why is the distance not jumping up? What can I do to change this?

After throwing my z comet about 800'+ downhill the last two days and it literally never fading I'm pretty sold on this thing. Glide for weeks. Threw it with a slight hyzer flip powergrip and it sat up right out of my hand and never went right of the chairlift and ended up settling just to the left of the lift building on the gravel road.
V51BPgw.jpg

This is literally the second time I've thrown it since I ordered it early last summer, OATed it a couple times and then stuck it in my drawer of reserves. What I'd like to know are what are some of the most beneficial/used "lines" for this disc be it FH or BH. Specifically what I seem to be craving is something I can throw backhand as a righty out to the left and around something directly in front of me, but yet finish flat/minimal skip and slightly to the right and behind of whatever was right in front of me that required me to throw this shot. Range anywhere from 150-275. About a year or so ago I learned how to powergrip and pretty much throw it for every shot minus forehands and a slighly modified power grip for putts. I've forgotten how I used to throw. Are there any Comet specific grips/drills I should acquaint myself with?

Is that Hyland?

Doing a road trip of BRP, Bryant, Kaposia, Valley, etc. starting TOMRROW!

I really hope its not too muddy and swampy down there.

Is that Hyland?

Doing a road trip of BRP, Bryant, Kaposia, Valley, etc. starting TOMRROW!

I really hope its not too muddy and swampy down there.

Yes. I know Bryant, Hyland and The Valley are all dry for now. Lots of rain this week. :\

Any updates on the status of this?

This makes me smile haha.

You're a great ambassador for our sport and an all-around awesome dude MJ. You know how to straddle the line between the serious/competitive side of DG and the pure pleasure/enjoyment side. You're not looking to get rich and famous from disc golf; it's just something you love doing (and just so happen to be damn good at it haha).

I came from an ultimate background, and when I got into disc golf, the comet was the first disc I picked up. It felt natural to me. I could float and finesse shots, very similarly to the way I could with a lid. It demanded proper form and control, as opposed to powerful and eratic drives. I was hooked after my first round.

Looking back, I realize how fortunate I was to be introduced to this game with such an amazing and versitile disc and didn't succumb to the pitfalls of warp-speed drivers.

No deep, philosophical questions from me, but I'm assuming you'll be in Michigan for the Great Lakes Open.
What do you think of the Tobaggan course and the other GLO courses (Hudson Mills Original/Monster) and the Michigan disc golf scene in general?

Have you heard about the DG course on Belle Isle in Detroit? Thoughts?
It would be an absolute pleasure and honor to show you the course and play a round.

While you're in town you need to meet with some suits and tell them your fans want LE MJ ESP Comets haha.
Good luck out there, and I look forward to seeing you whoop some ass in person for the first time:thmbup:

What do you think about throwing ringers? How does a D ringer's flight compare to all of the types of bangers you throw? Why did you choose bangers or challengers, and did you notice a difference in flight? Why do you like putting with ringers, is it all in the feel? Thanks

I honestly have noe idea how they really fly when throwing them. I only putt with them and throw short sidearms.
I chose bangers over challengers and some of the others, causei can throw them without feeling like i have to crush them to make them go. Challengers just felt like i had to kill em to get them the distance i like.

I putt with ringers cause i like shallow rim, stable putters that dont have a lot of glide. With deep rim putters, i have a tendencey of pulling them right once i get outside of 30ft or so. Mostly a feel thing

Wondering what you think of the tracker and if its a disc you throw. I just picked up an esp one yesterday to replace a tl I lost. So far I like it. Fills a nice slot in my fairway game.

I like it, i just dont have a place for it in my bag right now. Its one that i enjoy throwing, but dont know where to use it right now. Its a fantastic little fairway driver

I just found this forum and wanted to spread the comet love. I saw you play during the Hickory Classic at Glenn Hilton both days for the first round. the course is like a mile from my house and my neighbor Richard said I needed to see you play. and wow I was amazed. I had never heard of the comet and had bought a meteor but hated it cuz the rim felt so weird.. but I saw you use ur comets and rip up my little short course lol. I bought a comet the next week and it is my favorite mid I've ever used!! I play with my friends and they complain because that thing will hit any line you want its fantastic!
Question: What have you shot at Glenn Hilton?
Glad to know you like the comet and are a glenn hilton player, i love that little course. Its hard to tell you what i have shot there, since they have made it 24 holes. The old 18 layouts, i have shot a 39 from the shorts and a 42 from the longs