• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

First, thanks for being so active in this thread MJ, you are the man!:thmbup:

Second, thanks for posting the below way back when. I've never felt comfortable with the power grip and I get all sorts of terrible results whenever I try it. I've always thought that I was missing out on some potential D by not using the power grip but your distance is more than enough. I shall experiment with the power grip no longer.

the thing is, is that its not the pressure in my grip its how i let my wrist break and my hand and fingers tranfer the power and spin to the disc. A big key is to not lock the disc against the palm of your hand when you grip it, it should stay out in the fingers with it just touching the hand where your index and middle finger meet the hand

the pressure in the grip is a different topic, but you press up with the index and down with the thumb, thumb is pressing in between the index and middle finger in that space. and you press back with the pinky. the middle and ring fingers just control the flight plate, not a lot of pressure on them at all

So when you say the index finger is pushing up, are you pushing up with the tip of the finger or between the first and second knuckle under the rim? And, are you pushing up into the flight plate with the pinky as well or pulling it into the hand? Are there any other tips you can provide for a fellow fan gripper? You make long tosses look pretty damn effortless.

Thanks MJ, I wish you the best in all you do.

Hi MJ, seems I have read that you like to play some ball golf. Do the top pros in disc golf discuss the distance parallels between ball golf and disc golf? Do some pros know their distances to a precise yardage. For instance, someone throws their comet 300ft +/- 10ft.

Disc golf can be of a 'feel' sport than b-golf, so the comparison breaks down. There is the obvious wind resistance that effects a disc much more than a golf ball, but I have not seen a pro discuss this issue. Do any pros say 'I can throw my [insert midrange] 303ft +/- 5ft consistently with a grooved throw' much in the same way 'I can hit my 7 iron 157yds +/- 2yds'.

Best of luck in the coming tourneys and let me know if you want to play some ball golf around Greenville,SC. I have a couple free passes to some local courses :thmbup:.

First round with my big z comet, last hole, 5 friends, beautiful ace! Second ever! Cant believe it took me so long to replace when I lost my first z comet. Such a sweet flight

Is the Big Z Comet comparable in stability to a regular Z Comet? I have a beat up X and ESP bagged right now, and 2 Z's on the shelf for backups. Just wondering if I should add a Big Z.

Comparable is a good word, my big z is 166 and if im remembering lines correctly ever so slightly less stable than the 170 elite z I lost. Has enough oomph to fade back to flat or back to straight depending on release. I should mention mine has a nice high shoulder and a pretty flat top

I bought an MJ Comet today. Beautiful disc! Super glidey, controlled distance with ease.

I have never seen anyone thrown it live. But I trusted what i've read here and It felt good in the hand so I decided to give it try. Good choice!

Is the Big Z Comet comparable in stability to a regular Z Comet? I have a beat up X and ESP bagged right now, and 2 Z's on the shelf for backups. Just wondering if I should add a Big Z.

They are a little more stable to start with from what I have used of them

I bought an MJ Comet today. Beautiful disc! Super glidey, controlled distance with ease.

I have never seen anyone thrown it live. But I trusted what i've read here and It felt good in the hand so I decided to give it try. Good choice!

:clap:

Latest posts