• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Backpack Shoot Out...

And the winner is...........

• Gateway - Ozark

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Gorilla Boy - Simian

Votes: 39 12.8%
  • Grip EQ - Tour Bag

Votes: 107 35.1%
  • HyzerBomb - Flak

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Mystery Ranch - Golf Mahal

Votes: 44 14.4%
  • Physical Flight - Challenger Pak

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Prodiscus - Jet Pack

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Revolution - Dual Pack

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • D.I.Y.

Votes: 33 10.8%

• Total voters
This is gonna sound rude, but I don't know any other way to do it, so here goes: With your vehement defense of other companies' bags, why should we take your word over Hyzer Bomb's?

I can confirm that Hyzerbomb contacted Physical Flight to produce their bags for them. HB is going in a different direction and shifting focus from bags to discs. They have had difficulty producing bags for a decent price with good quality so they contracted us to try to revamp their failed 3rd run Flak. Without going into too much detail the deal fell thru today and we have mutually decided to part ways, no harm no foul. With direct knowledge HB says they will try to use their local bag maker to make their flak for around $195. I wish them the best of luck.

Chris-PF

With that said Physical Flight is releasing the "Contender" next Friday for $155. The contender will also be Michael Johansens platform for his new signature bag to fill with all the comets his heart desires :)

Stay tuned but the new backpack will feature:

Materials: 1680d Ballistic nylon, 1680d Kevlar backed nylon, Kevlar thread (this bag will be literally bullet proof)
Capacity: 20-30 discs, Dual front putter pocket, side mounted disc pockets
Other Features:

-Built in internal frame
-Waterproof YKK zippers (available in colored zippers red, navy, or standard black)
-Rubber feet to keep bag off ground
-CWP rear accessible zipper when your bag is on just in case things get sketchy and you need some quick access to protection when on a dangerous course or part of town.
-Sternum straps
-Scorecard pocket, Cell phone, and built in key ring clips.
-Patented Memory Foam back and straps
-Lifetime warranty
-Made in USA
Again this is the only bag designed and approved by Doctor of Physical Therapy to actually decrease shoulder and back fatigue.

Available in: Red, Navy, Royal, Camo, Grey, Orange, Purple (MJ sig color)

Kilgus, do you have pictures of the new bag? It sounds very interesting.
I do have pics but will not post til late next week/Friday. We decided that quality bags that people enjoy should not be $200. So we have been working feverishly over the last couple of months getting the bag rolled out and into full production. The first bag "lesser" finished embroidery will see the light of day next week. We will also have the full line ready by March 14. This will replace the Challenger and we will honor any warranty issues with any of our older bags the new Contender so not to worry if you want to trade in the Challenger. The "Contender" will also have dual bottle holders, compression straps and side zippered storage. Basically their is no feature this bag will not have.

Last edited:
I don't understand these bag makers not releasing pics if they have them. I'm looking at just buying a Grip just to be done with this ****. Release the pics so I can decide if I want to buy yours!!

Not to derail this discussion, but we are seeing too much false information floating around.

For obvious reasons we don't entertain or engage in forum rumors, but the only thing we can say is that we are indeed releasing bags in cooperation with a new DISC manufacture and are VERY excited about that opportunity. 2013 will prove to be a great year for disc golf in general and we are glad to be apart of that growth. New designs, and innovations in bags will be at play.
We will be releasing a run of the Flak very soon as planned.

Also, we are not releasing discs, but if we do someday... they would all naturally Hyzer Bomb no matter what. :hfive:

Well, jeez, anyone know a new DISC manufacturer?

So does that mean Prodigy players have to stop carrying their Grips? May be why Paige sold hers?

Still, if you don't deliver the goods here, by 2pm est tomorrow, every single person on DGCR and every disc golfer in the US and Europe will officially say **** it, and buy a Grip bag.

Glad I've been on the fence about getting a backpack bag with all the new options coming out. I was close to pulling the gun on a Grip since they're apparently in stock right now but I guess I'll wait to see what Physical Flight and Voodoo have in store for us.

Okay, I like the way that one looks. And I really like the four pockets on the outside.

It's a neat little bag. Not QUITE a full-featured DG backpack. But if you only carry 12-14 and full-sized backpacks are too much bag for you, it's a sound option to consider at a respectably cheaper price point.

I offered my opinions here:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81442&highlight=shift

They have confided in me that a larger backpack is in the works with the same style in mind, but assured me they have listened to the critiques from the Shift users and will be addressing those for the new releases. (Namely, the bag standing better on it's own, I hope) I couldn't get a date pinned down; just that it will be "some months" before it is made public.

Also, apparition, for around $50.00 less than a standard market offering, you may want to rein back the trigger finger and wait to see what the Contender looks like. I haven't seen it, but MJ seems to like it enough to call it his own, and he's a pretty cool guy by all accounts. Chris from PF has been nothing but professional and exceptional in our conversations. BillyR might get a little worked up from time to time, but don't let that deter you from Physical Flight. The bags are quality made, and a $155 backpack with a lifetime warranty is nothing to dismiss lightly.

Last edited:
It's a neat little bag. Not QUITE a full-featured DG backpack. But if you only carry 12-14 and full-sized backpacks are too much bag for you, it's a sound option to consider at a respectably cheaper price point.

I offered my opinions here:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81442&highlight=shift

They have confided in me that a larger backpack is in the works with the same style in mind, but assured me they have listened to the critiques from the Shift users and will be addressing those for the new releases. (Namely, the bag standing better on it's own, I hope) I couldn't get a date pinned down; just that it will be "some months" before it is made public.

Also, apparition, for around $50.00 less than a standard market offering, you may want to rein back the trigger finger and wait to see what the Contender looks like. I haven't seen it, but MJ seems to like it enough to call it his own, and he's a pretty cool guy by all accounts. Chris from PF has been nothing but professional and exceptional in our conversations. BillyR might get a little worked up from time to time, but don't let that deter you from Physical Flight. The bags are quality made, and a $155 backpack with a lifetime warranty is nothing to dismiss lightly.

That's exactly what I'll be doing! Well, that and waiting for how the Voodoo looks like!

That's exactly what I'll be doing! Well, that and waiting for how the Voodoo looks like!

We haven't released pics yet because we want to have a video review with the pics because the bag had so many features and we actually might shoot the bag to show you just how tough it really is ;)

MJ is putting his name on the bag and from some good input from him and from guys on the forums we really tried to build an affordable bag that everyone could enjoy and not have to worry about falling apart.

So I will let everyone be the judge on the new bag when we post pics. Unbeatable price, hopefully everyone will take notice of a bag that is a quarter of the price less, with more color options, better all around materials and water proof zippers so no need for a rainfly.

We haven't released pics yet because we want to have a video review with the pics because the bag had so many features and we actually might shoot the bag to show you just how tough it really is ;)

MJ is putting his name on the bag and from some good input from him and from guys on the forums we really tried to build an affordable bag that everyone could enjoy and not have to worry about falling apart.

So I will let everyone be the judge on the new bag when we post pics. Unbeatable price, hopefully everyone will take notice of a bag that is a quarter of the price less, with more color options, better all around materials and water proof zippers so no need for a rainfly.

Thanks for the reply! I was actually planning on buying a Grip this weekend since they were in stock until I came across your Chally bag and was gonna purchase one until I read that you guys were putting out a new bag that's even cheaper than the competition! Glad I didn't pull the trigger and waited cause my decision is between you guys and the Voodoo due to the color schemes.

Whats the ETA? I am ready to pull the trigger on a Grip or Prodiscus this weekend.

Whats the ETA? I am ready to pull the trigger on a Grip or Prodiscus this weekend.

Hey guys, all bags will ship March 14,2013.

All bags are two tone 1680d ballistic nylon in: Red, Grey, Orange, Digi Camo, Navy, MJ sig purple, black and royal blue.

We will also have red, navy and standard black zippers available for certain colors.
We will post all info Monday with pics and video on Friday.
We will also honor anyone who had a 10% off coupon from our other competitor who's bag didnt get released to show you we are serious about getting the best bag out.

-Chris (contact me directly at [email protected] or via our website for detailed info