• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the best kept secret (dents/notches)

compn

Birdie Member
have any of you ever had a disc that just wouldnt stop? a disc that would continue spinning forever even after hitting multiple trees, and landing? that magical disc with a big ole notch/groove or dent in it? yes my friends, the dented disc is one of the best kept secrets in the golf world.

my friends would always say i was cheating with the dent.

is there any proof that a beat up disc flies further?

It's mostly anecdotal evidence, but yeah, beat discs fly farther than new ones. They tend to fade less and later. The only issue is finding a disc that starts off stable enough to still be useable when beat up.

And with more turn/less fade, they are more likely to roll. I have a disc with a good chip, a great roller too. When it hits the grass, it sounds different than the others, which I really think might be the chip digging into the grass and accelerating the disc. Any experts out there?

I have 4 Wraiths, and the longest one is a beat-up DX 177g that I have dubbed "Old Faithful". The whole top and sides are covered with nicks and scratches, and since it makes a big S curve, it often slams into trees when it doesnt fade soon enough.

Yes, sometimes it does turn over and not come back, but it S curves so nice usually.
What I heard is that the chips and dents act like little brakes in the air, and slow the disc down.
Since the disc is slower, but you throw it with the same power as a new (faster) one, it naturally becomes more understable.

Also, wouldn't a disc that has more high speed understability naturally have to fight harder to come back? Perhaps thats why the fade seems less? Because Old Faithful still fades pretty hard, just not when it turns into a roller

All of my lost discs have been well seasoned discs that just seemed to get longer and longer every time I threw them, ultimately flying into the woods at the other end of the fairway

Interesting...

I noticed that when I found my old discs in the old stinky water, it get aged faster and one of the disc (172g Raging Inferno DT) has been left bend a little bit on the edge (must be from the weight of the dead branches in water) but it produced the farthest distance that I have ever thrown! I only need to throw it correctly which I had to start it off by a bit deep hyzer and it will fly quickly up and make a long anhyzer for awhile before it starts to breaking to left for landing. It was a beautiful "S" flight.

I guess maybe the Gateway's discs are easy to break in than other discs due to cheaper softer materials they are using for their discs. I'm starting to like their Dimple Technology discs but noticed that it tend to be understable very easily.

I do have couple of well-seasoned 175g DX Valkyries that I have been using as practice driving shots. It makes an easy "S" but need several good break-ins to make much longer "S" throws. If its not perfectly seasoned, then it becomes useless and understable and/or can be a roller or give it to the newbies.

:)

I guess maybe the Gateway's discs are easy to break in than other discs due to cheaper softer materials they are using for their discs. I'm starting to like their Dimple Technology discs but noticed that it tend to be understable very easily.
Those are only the discs that are made by QuestAT. The regular Gateway plastics are actually really good. Lots of pepole would like slower discs in Gateway's version of DX, they call it 'S', because of the added durability while still keeping the advantages of DX.

I have noticed that my beat up Viking flies more true now than it did when it was new. I thought maybe it was just because I was becoming a better discer, but after reading all these I think that the weathering could be good for it. I was throwing it around at the house and the dog that loves to fetch everything, bit a whole in it,then later in the month I threw it in the woods and when it hit the ground a branch stuck right through it, and since then, I can launch the thing!

Hmmmm..... I have been throwing my DX plastic discs better than most of the star plastics which don't get beat up much....hmmmmm. Interesting. Makes me want to go pound up some discs. This all makes me think of the famous Roc getting better with age.

Those are only the discs that are made by QuestAT. The regular Gateway plastics are actually really good. Lots of pepole would like slower discs in Gateway's version of DX, they call it 'S', because of the added durability while still keeping the advantages of DX.

I agree. For my skill level, which I admit isn't real swift, Gateway makes some very controllable stuff.

A Surge, Sabre, and VooDoo pretty much do it for me.

KISS!

I agree. For my skill level, which I admit isn't real swift, Gateway makes some very controllable stuff.

A Surge, Sabre, and VooDoo pretty much do it for me.

KISS!

Surge? LOL Umm that is Discraft and it is a hell of a disc!

I have noticed that my beat up Viking flies more true now than it did when it was new. I thought maybe it was just because I was becoming a better discer, but after reading all these I think that the weathering could be good for it. I was throwing it around at the house and the dog that loves to fetch everything, bit a whole in it,then later in the month I threw it in the woods and when it hit the ground a branch stuck right through it, and since then, I can launch the thing!

Just so you know once a disc is punctured ti is not allowed for use (in PDGA tourneys that is), not sure if PDGA rules govern all leagues and such.

A beat up dx roc is the greatest disc known to man
a beat up dx aviar is the second greatest disc known to man

I have a beat up elite X pred that flies much further and straighter than the significantly newer one. It also has one of those 'speed divits'. I find it sad that the disc has a crack now and had to be retired. I have noticed that as the newer one has gotten worn in its flying much straighter and longer before its hard fade.

One of the guys around here puts his new discs in the bed of his pick-up for a couple weeks to break them in. From his results, I'd have to say it works.

Latest posts