• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] the 'boutique disc' problem

After reading through this thread, I went ahead and grabbed two more 2019 Jerm Thunderbirds since 1) I only have three and 2) I don't know if there will be a 2020 JermBird. I don't have a problem, right?

i can throw anything, so it's all about how the disc looks. my pretties

I agree. No matter what it is, as long as it's in my preferred flight number range, I'll figure it out.

That said most of my bag is stock. Sexton Firebird, VIP X Underworld and Cryzstal Sparkle Buzzz are the 3 hard to replace in my bag. But I like trying new discs so I switch stuff in and out. There better be a Ledgestone this year because I probably paid for half of it.

I think of that a lot when people say "Nothing flies like an...". We say that about Comets all the time and to an extent it is true. I can play without a Comet, though. As much as I leaned on that orange Roc, I certainly could play without it. We make too much out of the equipment sometimes. Most people can beat me throwing a trash can lid regardless of what is in my bag, so the equipment is just what I make of it. You still have to throw them before they actually mean anything.

The truth is in the middle here. People get used to their preferred equipment in most sports and hobbies.

I'm a jazz guitarist, and I've learned the feel of my Godin archtop from hundreds of hours of practice on it. Could I play the exact same thing on a Stratocaster? Probably, but I'm not interested in relearning the feel of an instrument with a different neck, body, scale length, etc. I only have so much time to practice, and I'd rather not spend it duplicating work. Could (pick your favorite guitarist) sound better than me using a pawn shop guitar? Also probably, but they're also a professional and a lot more gifted than I am.

It's no different for sports. Everybody has that bat, that set of cleats, that pair of gloves, etc. that they're used to. Why should disc golf be different?

The other nice thing is that when a "boutique" disc really does well, look out for knockoffs to show up shortly afterwards. The Sextons are a perfect example where tons of people were interested in a slightly less overstable Firebird. Since then, there have been a bunch of new releases right in that area. So unless you're hung up on the disc saying "Sexton" on the front of it, you can find that same flight with a cheaper disc.

FWIW, I've never spent more than $20 on a disc (and have only done that a few times for OOP plastic).

I don't even like spending over $15 for a disc.
It's not that an extra couple of bucks will make difference in my life, but I kinda get mentally hung up on spending more than I have to on plastic.

I end up asking myself, "Is the incremental $2-$5 going to:

1) Improve my scores?
2) Make me happier about pulling this out during a round?

99.9% of the time, that answer is "nope."

The only exceptions thus far have been:
150 Z Storm... I genuinely think this disc has saved me strokes. It's my go to for stand and deliver distance or uphill lies where I've still got a good disance to go.

Swirl APX's: I just like the way they look, so they're worth a few more bucks to me.

I used to only throw stock, off-the-shelf, easily replaceable discs. Fast forward 12 years, and -- much to my chagrin -- it'll cost you an arm and a leg to get a new 11X Firebird or Champ Ontario Rhyno!

So I don't worry too much about bagging special/limited run discs. I'll throw whatever makes me happy. Eventually everything will become rare; nothing lasts forever.

Also, consider this: the molds and plastics that are the most available are also the ones that have the most variance from run to run. Its a natural consequence of cranking out such high volume of a popular disc. That's why you can buy a Star Destroyer anywhere, but people are still out there looking for specific runs. Stock doesn't necessarily mean easy to replace!

As long as we buy them they will keep making them. And I buy a lot of them, it's fun, and they are easier to resell or trade later.

If you want to play disc golf for cheap you can definitely pick up a baseline plastic version of the classics and you will probably score better (yes more gooder! :)) than with a full bag of the tour series, limited run, special release, fancy stuff.

that being said as a hobby enthusiast (that's us, we spend time on a forum dedicated to throwing plastic to achieve a score against "par"), you probably enjoy the variety that exists outside of 5 molds in baseline plastic. In a basic shoulder bag no less!

I'm guilty of all of these sins and the DG companies have prospered as a result of my obsession. We have only ourselves to thank for the wonders that is DG in the modern era!

I mostly can't stand stock stamp artwork, and when I do companies then go and change the art to something awful (Polecat).
So, I do tend to buy discs that have custom run artwork to support an artist or CFR stamps that I think are cool (or just better than what a stock stamp would be). So, I guess I am used to paying a little bit of a premium for my discs, which is fine because its usually to support an artist.

What I don't like, and I see repeatedly now, are all the "retailers" on FB that don't have a brick and mortar shop that get in their shipments and IMMEDIATELY go straight to FB auctions which, to me, is the secondary market.
Thats been jacking up prices for a few years now.

Do you prefer wide availability, or do you favor the 'coolness' factor of the special runs and plastics? There's not really a wrong way to do it - to each their own!

One issue with 'boutique' discs, is that (for most) a sponsored pro requested a disc to meet a need and the brand made that disc. When the pro isn't touring or switches sponsors, the disc is no longer in production.

While playing doubles, my partner let me throw his Wysocki Pig one time. It was amazing. I went out an bought a Pig, but it was an R-Pro Pig. Not the same - the Wysocki Pig is flatter which works for my forehand. I found they aren't being made anymore - they are a Tour version, so until he tours again there won't be more made. I have two - but when I lose them I don't think I'll be able to replace them (I am hoping there will be a 2021 version). The Innova Rat comes close, but it is a different speed (4 speed where the Pig is 3).

Another example is the Legacy Rival. Drew Gibson signed with Infinite, which also allowed him to be sponsored (co-sponsered?) by Legacy. He liked the Rival, but it didn't meet his needs...they created a special version in a different plastic (a blend maybe?) and named it the Phantom Warrior. If he leaves Legacy, they will most likely drop that disc.

So, I like to stay with 'non-boutique' discs....but even that has no guarantee. I loved the Dynamic Disc Witness, but that went out of production.

Unless you play a non-'boutique' disc AND your disc is a very commonly used one, you should expect that there will come a time where it will no longer be available. This can be really tough on a player as there isn't always a similar disc made by the same company or even another company.

(P.S. as an aside - the big issue for me with the Rat being 4-speed, is that the club I'm part of has a putting league where anything above a 3 speed is banned. So I can use the Wysocki Pig, but not the Rat).

While playing doubles, my partner let me throw his Wysocki Pig one time. It was amazing. I went out an bought a Pig, but it was an R-Pro Pig. Not the same - the Wysocki Pig is flatter which works for my forehand. I found they aren't being made anymore - they are a Tour version, so until he tours again there won't be more made. I have two - but when I lose them I don't think I'll be able to replace them (I am hoping there will be a 2021 version). The Innova Rat comes close, but it is a different speed (4 speed where the Pig is 3).

There are plenty of flat R-Pro Pigs, sounds like you got one that molded up with more dome. Like any other disc the Pig has some variation from run to run. I've bought plenty of board flat R-Pro before, although the recent embossed runs I purchased a few months back all had sizable domes for a Pig. The hot water trick flattened them right up. I also hope that the Wysocki Pig gets another run, that firmer plastic feels nice.

So I'm definitely contributing to this "problem". My most obvious culprits are the Cryztal Luna and Fierce that I bag, but only have the 1 as they aren't cheap and I missed release day on the Fierce. Seeing the price people are paying for 4x Zones has me selling what I have before the market crashes on those, and as a reault I've switched to a 5x and a Cryztal FLX to replace them.

I've got a bunch of throwable invome right now, and am stocking up on what I like to throw for drivers and mids (I'm at 8 Wasps, 8 Comets, 9 Stalkers) but it's usually a "less desirable" mold that you don't usually see on the course. I'm gonna be making about a $300 order tomorrow but some of that will be to save shipping for a couple of friends.

I'm a pizza delivery guy during a pandemic let me reward myself.

Vic, what do I do if I already own all this boutique plastic? :)

I could spend the time to weigh, Sleepy, photograph, upload, post, PM (I loathe that "DM" is the new pop culture version), PM some more (stop lowballing), package, run to the PO and ship...for a debatable profit.

Or I could be lazy and just throw the stuff. Someone above said they typically only lose drivers and I agree (downside to a solid arm combined with woods golf). I just posted in the Comet thread about '19 Sparkle Zs and I highly doubt I'll ever lose that disc...just simply isn't thrown in those situations very often. I also seldom play near unsearchable water (mostly small creeks I can go in).

Most important arguement is no "old friend" can be properly replaced. I don't care if it's stock DX or a 4/10 tourny stamped CE you've have for 20 years...literally nothing will replace a beat disc.

I've never spent crazy money on a disc but I've absolutely purchased OOP/LE discs before. For instance I'm a recent Wasp convert and prefer ESP to most any plastic on the market. Ended up with nearly 10 of the ESP Ledgestones which is superfluous but I also didn't have a back stock to begin with. I've been playing so long I know my game, what I'm capable of, and what I should be throwing to score well. $200 to never need another stable/overstable midrange again in my life? I'm 30...sounds good to me!

Yes disc golf can be a cheap sport, yes it used to solely be so, but now you can buy $300+ bags, custom polo shirts, boutique "birdy bags", pay to play courses, and it's even made top10 ESPN. My lifetime supply of Wasps is worth less than MOST THINGS IN MY LIFE. Car maintenance, childs clothing, computer, dresser, bed, coffee table, a week of college classes, Nintendo Switch . . .

Fancy discs definitely don't save me any strokes but I don't think they hurt my game either.

The cool thing about disc golf is that it definitely favors the Indian rather than the arrow.

I can bag twenty special discs in cool plastics, with limited edition stamps, that cost me $20 each or more and some kid shows up in a beat up Honda Civic with three discs he picked up at the local sporting goods store and totally cleans my clock out on the course.

Does that mean I've just wasted money on my $400 worth of discs? Maybe. But if I like them and they make me happy then I'll keep buying them and throwing them and have fun shooting my crappy rounds just the same.

There are plenty of flat R-Pro Pigs, sounds like you got one that molded up with more dome. Like any other disc the Pig has some variation from run to run. I've bought plenty of board flat R-Pro before, although the recent embossed runs I purchased a few months back all had sizable domes for a Pig. The hot water trick flattened them right up. I also hope that the Wysocki Pig gets another run, that firmer plastic feels nice.

I threw (or attempted to throw) the R-Pro Pig and just could not get it to fly well. I've looked at other R-Pro Pigs since then and they have all been domey. Maybe from the same run, maybe the mold changed....I don't know - but I sure do love my Wysocki Pig and am not looking forward to losing them and having to find a replacement. Maybe, I'll find one of those flat-top R-Pro Pigs when the time comes.

Sorry for the double post. I forgot one main point...pretty discs should fly! Nothing wrong with having something as art on your wall, but think of all those puuuurty discs sitting in all of our closets.

Sadpanda.jpg

neTDsA7.jpg

I like the boutique discs, personally.

Only marginally more expensive.

If I lose a disc, only lost three in a decade plus, someone is getting a cool disc- they'll probably love it.

Disc golf is still much cheaper than my other passions.

...Do you prefer wide availability, or do you favor the 'coolness' factor of the special runs and plastics?...

I like fancy...

I've got 21 discs in my bag. 2 are current production DX Rocs. The rest are custom stamps, LE runs, or old production/PFN/etc.

The only exceptions thus far have been:
150 Z Storm... I genuinely think this disc has saved me strokes. It's my go to for stand and deliver distance or uphill lies where I've still got a good disance to go.

I was going thru my discs this past week and noticed I had a First Run 150 Z Storm. Don't know much about them. Is it generally worth anything used with ink on the inner rim?