• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Brinster Hop

With the slo-mo you can definitely see that his front foot comes down before the release... clear foot fault.

Ok I am confused by this comment as well, how is that a foot fault? On the pad it's not of course, and from a lie it's not if he plants behind the mini within 11.75". So... :confused:

Apologize for this less than great footage - but I'm seeing results that are at least on par with a really well postured "standard x-step". I threw this teebird about 400' from a really ugly spot in lumpy grass.

You are swaying your rotational axis and slowing it down.

Yep, I have a long road to go down with developing the hop. This was my first time throwing it in recent history and it felt outta whack. I'll keep trying to add more time as weather allows and see if I can clean it up, but right now it's knee deep snow.

Crazily enough, even out of whack, it felt like more accessible weight shift. I want to try to time it better and get the rotation right through the plant axis. I'm catching my weight too much on my back foot and trying to mush it forward.

I start messing with form every winter... that way by the time spring rolls around I have no idea what my form is.

Sw, just to clarify, Gangloff does the two hop, Moser just does the one hop...

When bombing ultimate disc throws that's what I did, the two hop, so coming to disc golf it felt natural. But I stopped doing it to simplify things and work on other areas. I found myself getting too much forward momentum and wasn't bracing enough so I had to slow everything down (I do get slightly "airborne" with the x step though).
Well technically Gangloff is like a dancing bear, but the last three steps are a typical hop(x-step) off the front foot and landing on the rear foot.

Moser doesn't x-cross his feet and hops from the rear foot instead of the front foot and lands on the rear instead of the front foot. When you do this kind of hop it feels like hopping twice because the rear foot hops and lands first and drives before the front foot plants.

There's a 994 rated Senior Grandmaster I throw with a dozen or so times a year, he kills it with the hop step. He's made me a believer.

I've seen allot of "old" dg'ers do the hop and I always thought it was because they didn't learn the x step properly, or their bones...?

Well technically Gangloff is like a dancing bear, but the last three steps are a typical hop(x-step) off the front foot and landing on the rear foot.

Moser doesn't x-cross his feet and hops from the rear foot instead of the front foot and lands on the rear instead of the front foot. When you do this kind of hop it feels like hopping twice because the rear foot hops and lands first and drives before the front foot plants.

I think we must have different definitions of a "hop" lol.

In any case, we're in sync about what an x-step is anyway. :p

I've tried to mess with the hop in the past. Very different.

My worry was that it was just adding more to the things to the throwing motion for me to screw up. Maybe it's worth messing with it again. Bracing from the xstep is still something I suck at.

I was doing more the dancing bear thing, hop into an x-step hop -- definitely adds more forward momentum. And I don't believe age is an issue with one or two hops if you're in good shape.

I've seen allot of "old" dg'ers do the hop and I always thought it was because they didn't learn the x step properly, or their bones...?

I started doing the hop when I first learned the game at 32, not exactly old, lol. For me it is just a more natural approach.

Yep, I have a long road to go down with developing the hop. This was my first time throwing it in recent history and it felt outta whack. I'll keep trying to add more time as weather allows and see if I can clean it up, but right now it's knee deep snow.

Crazily enough, even out of whack, it felt like more accessible weight shift. I want to try to time it better and get the rotation right through the plant axis. I'm catching my weight too much on my back foot and trying to mush it forward.

I start messing with form every winter... that way by the time spring rolls around I have no idea what my form is.
RUiMf.gif

Pitchers have a raised mound already and also have to keep their back foot on the rubber.

I've not see many older DGers throwers hop, probably because it's a relatively newer technique and the development of wide rim discs.

Newer? We were hopping 30 years ago. I'm far too old and fat to take that up again.

My run up is a hop of some sort. I've tried not doing it, but I think my legs are too short. You can see it if you click on my Instagram icon.

Last edited:
I think you have to be under 40 to do this. Any hopping jumping and throwing a disc routine is way beyond us old guys. That said, why don't pitchers run up or jump up or hop up when they throw?

yep. Slow, methodical x-step, is much more doable than a hop now days. :thmbup:

I tried some living room run ups this morning and I'd have to say Moser's style feels more natural than anything I've ever tried before.

Brinster has more hop than most folks. Is it coincidence that he also throws farther than most pros too?

I think what brinster does so well is follow thru. His timing is flawless as well as the rest of his form.

Don't get hung up on the hop. It might work for some and not others.

The jarvis brothers don't have much of a hop and have nearly perfect form.

What is key here? Forward momentum!

Latest posts