• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

Saying the Colt and Pure should be similar in feel is like saying every single putter ever made should be similar in feel. Only 1 of the 4 listed dimensions of the Colt and Pure is actually the same, and the Colt is more than 20% shallower based on the rim depth. From my experience, they feel absolutely nothing alike at all.

I won't buy a GStar Colt under any circumstances. It has to be firm Star or Champion plastic to get my disc-buying dollars.

GStar would be the best plastic ever for the Colt. Especially in the summer when champion gets slippery.

GStar would be the best plastic ever for the Colt. Especially in the summer when champion gets slippery.

Have at it. For me, I want firmer plastic, especially in summer heat. Ergo, I'd prefer firm (not the soft GStar-like stuff the recent Star Roc3s are made of) Star plastic for my premium plastic Colts GStar is too soft and too floppy, especially in summer heat where I live. And I've tried a GStar Aviar, so I do know what it feels like for me.

If we don't get firm Star plastic Colts, then Champion would be acceptable for me.

If you (plural) like GStar, there's plenty of it waiting for you (plural) to buy, and you (plural) won't be competing with me for it. Have fun.

Have you actually use a Gstar disc?

Yes, several. Wombat, Mako3, Roc3, Aviar, Thunderbird, Vulcan.

I use the Judge as my putter now (and the Colt for upshots). The GStar Aviar is a good disc in cold temps when the plastic is stiffer, but right now in the summer it's softer than JK Aviar plastic and for me is as soft and floppy as a Discraft APX (another decent putter, but too soft for my personal liking).

Right now I favor the beadless Star Foxbat over its beaded counterpart, the Wombat. I recently went to a Champion Mako3 (over the Star as well as GStar) and I've been using the McPro Roc3 but am working with a 3x Champ Roc3 right now as cooler weather approaches.

As to the Thunderbird, I could never get the GStar Thunderbird to act consistently for me. Got a 3x Champ Thunderbird and it's the bees' knees for that slot.

In fairness, IMHO the GStar Vulcan outperforms its Star counterpart. But I throw the Wave now, so that's a moot point for me.

Again, for me the GStar is too soft in summer weather. And what's worse IMHO is how Star plastic is becoming less and less firm out of the factory, less like the good old firm Star plastic and more like too-soft GStar... that's actually my bigger complaint about the situation...

I think AIM was being ironic.

Colt is super shallow. Pure and Envy are standard 1.4 depth.

True comps for Colt would be Ringer, Summit, and any other 1.2 or less depth putter.

I throw Colt, Swann2 and Pure a lot: one is not like the others.

On paper I'd agree, but actual hand feel...totally different.

Colt feels much shallower.

That being said, I just picked up a production run DX Colt at the shop, an it's a totally different mold than the XT Proto.

Much deeper, higher shoulder, totally domey, lower PLH, and the convex wing is more convex (basically 1/4 round). The production seemed like a slightly shallower whale or beaded magic.

Therefore the Colt is now dead to me.
I will inspect a Champ version should they decide to make it, but I don't need it that bad. I'm comfortable with the Pure, have CCRs in storage, and am not above bagging the Envy should I decide I really need that slot.

Oh well it was a fun disc to throw, but I don't need another OOP mold to chase.
Look for my other XT Protos to hit the marketplace or FB.

Farewell Colt

Or you could just stock up on early runs of proto's like the rest of us Colt lovers!

Or you could just stock up on early runs of proto's like the rest of us Colt lovers!

Better hurry. The protos are still out there, but supply is starting to dry up.

I haven't yet seen (in person) a non-proto Colt. I hope the flight pattern won't be too off the proto's flight...

Or just stop being picky and learn to like the new Colts even IF there is that big a difference.

Give it to me in any plastic and I'll make it work because I know it's the archer and not the arrow. (Or the arrows plastic blend) :D

The more beat my DX Colt gets the more I love it. Gonna add an XT soon but wow, little bit of hyzer, and power down and this thing is perfect for finesse shots.

Just picked up an XT Colt at the last tournament I played. I love the way it feels. I'm a huge fan of shallow, flat top putters. The XT plastic feels good as well, but I can see it getting marked up and beat up fairly quickly.

With that being said, I look forward to throwing it this weekend.

Latest posts