• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

mvp do seem glideless, minus the 150 discs, and maybe the tangent.

mvp do seem glideless, minus the 150 discs, and maybe the tangent.

A few weeks ago I took an "all-MVP/Axiom" bag to the course for the first time in a long time. I had become used to glidey approach discs, such as the Warden, the Aviar3, the Mirage, the Star Colt, etc. The Proxy and the Envy, while excellent and accurate discs, had no glide.

So for longer approaches, I ended up using MVP mids, the Vector, Axis, and Tangent where with Innova and Trilogy discs I was approaching with putt & approach discs. No big deal, but it showed me the relatively glideless nature of MVP/Axiom discs. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

A few weeks ago I took an "all-MVP/Axiom" bag to the course for the first time in a long time. I had become used to glidey approach discs, such as the Warden, the Aviar3, the Mirage, the Star Colt, etc. The Proxy and the Envy, while excellent and accurate discs, had no glide.

So for longer approaches, I ended up using MVP mids, the Vector, Axis, and Tangent where with Innova and Trilogy discs I was approaching with putt & approach discs. No big deal, but it showed me the relatively glideless nature of MVP/Axiom discs. That's not a complaint, just an observation.

yeah it can be good or bad, i tend to like glide on everything.

Any love for this putter?

I bought some recently, 2 XT and one GStar and I like them. It's like the shallowness of the Ringer and the neutral flight of the Pure but with a bead and smooth rim.

Any love for this putter?

I have been putting with XT Colts for about five years. Also use Colts for approaches and short drives that need to drift gently right.

Stud is a slightly more stable variant on the Colt. Feels the same in hand but works better for FH approaches. Putts nearly identically in the circle.

Harp for OS putter duties.

Several of the top FPOs putt with Colts.

Several of the top FPOs putt with Colts.

Madison Walker is one of them. She talks about the Colt in her recent ITB video.

I haven't really putted with the Colt (nor Stud), but I could. They're fast for putting, but accurate.

As discussed in the past, the Colt and Stud did not mold up as well in premium plastics as they did in DX and XT, but I find that my Star Stud is a useful throwing/approach disc between the Harp and Mirage. The Star Colt is relatively flippy/understable.

Last edited:
The Star Colt is relatively flippy/understable.

I've only ever owned one star Colt, but I throw it all the time. Maybe I have a weird one but it flies straight even if I power it to 275-300 ft.

My XT on the other hand flips over on anything over 150 ft, but it's been very beaten in.

I can't say I've noticed a big difference yet between my XTs and my GStar Colt but I'll buy a Star for something a little less soft to grip, and a couple more XT.

Being in Canada, I never bought from Disc Golf Center so it's not my fault. ;)

I did bought 4 purple XT Proto Colts from MarshallStreet, shipping was expensive but it was worth it since my 2 main putters are the same. If the Rat was made in XT I could maybe switch to it but even so, the Colts are glider so it's easier to putt smooth with them. Still waiting for the Studs, damn long holiday weekend in Canada stalling the shipping.

I personally really like the Colt. Its not in my main bag but I love throwing it. It seems to get consistently cleaner releases than my other putters.

As soon as the bag gets tweaked, the Colt is probably in. That's how close it was to making the bag. More people should give it a shot IMO.

Has anyone noticed that the current runs of XT Colts now seem to consistently have a pretty obnoxious pop top?

The ones I've been throwing are nice and flat and mirror what you'd see with the Star and GStar plastic runs, but I recently ordered half a dozen XT colts and every one of them has a significant pop top directly in the center of the disc. The majority of the flight plate is flat like i would expect, but there's a half dollar sized bubble popping up from the center of the disc......

Yes I have noticed the pop top. Consequently I have switched to the XT Stud as my main putter.

I carry two XT Studs (heh) - one fresh for approach, and one seasoned for putting.

Seasoned Stud flies like a flat-topped Colt for me.

I hate that pop top it looks like a nipple and I love nipples.....

Is the Stud more shallow and beefier any chance?

Is the Stud more shallow and beefier any chance?
The Stud is about the same level of shallow, and may feel shallower in the hand as it's not as domey as the Colt.

It would be more appropriate to say the Colt is more understable than the Stud. By that, I mean I never found the Stud to be particularly overstable, but I have some flippy Star and DX Colts. If you're looking for more OS/beefier than the Stud, the Infinite Discs TOMB is similar in depth to the Stud and Colt, but fades more reliably than the Stud.

I just want flat top colts! Grrrrr :D

That has to be a molding problem with this XT plastic. All of the Star and Gstar Colts I have seen do not have this pop top (I also have some special KC pro Colts too that are flat).

I just want flat top colts! Grrrrr :D

That has to be a molding problem with this XT plastic. All of the Star and Gstar Colts I have seen do not have this pop top (I also have some special KC pro Colts too that are flat).

XT Studs don't share that pop top, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with the physical mold that created those Colt discs. :confused:

As to flat-top Colts, watch out for Colts with the "prototype" stamp, and scoop them up if you find any.