• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dumbest Putt Ever Missed

Hole 7 at any course I play has a curse on it just for me. It's the same miss every hole 7. I'll hit the chains right where I want to. Falls into the basket but has some extra unexplained momentum on it where it rings around the cage and pops out right where it went in. It doesn't happen every round but it's always hole 7.

I was playing with a friend, just a casual round, and my approach landed right under the basket - it was touching the pole. I bent over to pick it up and as I stood up I accidentally bumped the bottom of the basket and dropped the disc. The guy I was with made me count it as a stroke. Maybe the only 0' putt ever missed?

what's the actual pdga stance on this if he dropped the disc before the shot was attampted?

I think he's in some sort of violation just for not marking his lie before he picked up his disc.

well if the disc is touching the pole, how can you properly mark it?

place your mini somewhere where it's touching the pole too?

Don't pick up a disc touching the pole. Stand with your foot behind the disc and put another disc in the basket. You don't HAVE to use a mini as long as you don't move the disc you just threw.

My son and I finally drew the same team in random doubles one Sunday. We ended 18 holes later in a tie for 1st for $50. We then had a playoff. Which ever team wins next hole takes it all. We played 21 holes until I finally missed a 5 foot uphill putt! Slapped the side of the basket and rolled away with our money.

At Charlie Vettiner #18 (see the tee shot here), my tee shot was 30' short of the road (~500'), then my second shot goes up and around the corner (another 275'-300') to the right and *nearly* gets the 2! I end up 30' past the basket for the three and of course I miss the putt! Took a birdie 4. I wasn't too happy, don't ya know...:doh:

blew a 25'er today and ended up even with a local legend. hes 65...im 29. i out-drive him by about 2x, but he makes up for it with his short game. think ive beat him twice in about 100 rounds :(. today wouldve been number three...:doh:

I hate when you miss completely from 0-15' but can manage to put every other disc from your bag in.

I keep telling myself to take every putt seriously. Every time I forget that, I'll walk up to the basket, and nonchalantly try to just 'chuck' a close one in, and drop it on the ground.

Had a 15' putt go in the basket low...swirl all the way around like it was in the toilet...and jumped back out at me. LAME!!!

At Black Falls this weekend.......... went to drop in a 3 footer and it hung on my finger and fell to the ground. :wall: My wife said it looked like i intentionally missed it. :eek:

chucked my sonic at the basket the other day after parking my beast about 7 feet from it. pretty much right as i threw it, i turned around to high five a friend and put the beast in my bag, wheeled back around to take my putter out of the basket. except my putter wasnt in the basket. it was rolling down the hill to the right, and picking up speed.

i have had alot of these, so i wouldn't know where to start.

Amen to that!!
However, this past weekend at the ADG Summer Sizzle on the first hole I played in the tournament (which was actually hole 18) I made a beautiful drive, 12' from the basket. I putted, it hit solid chains, dropped down straight, hit the bottom of the basket, bounced out and rolled 40' away (the basket is on a small mound). Birdie to bogey on the first hole of the tournament. Argh.

If it is under the basket isn't it a gimme?

No.

I was playing with a friend, just a casual round, and my approach landed right under the basket - it was touching the pole. I bent over to pick it up and as I stood up I accidentally bumped the bottom of the basket and dropped the disc. The guy I was with made me count it as a stroke. Maybe the only 0' putt ever missed?

This is why. I've heard stories about this happening to a touring pro.

Last hole of a tourney this weekend. I joked with everyone on my card that I would split the acepot if I hit it. The hole was very narrow requiring a little right turn. I nailed the drive with a beat TeeBird and it turned perfectly and hit the ground about 15' short and then skipped and missed the chains by about 1" right and landed 5' past the basket.

I missed the five foot putt. It was very hot and humid and the disc just kind of stuck to my hand for a second after I released it.

Last hole of a tourney this weekend. I joked with everyone on my card that I would split the acepot if I hit it. The hole was very narrow requiring a little right turn. I nailed the drive with a beat TeeBird and it turned perfectly and hit the ground about 15' short and then skipped and missed the chains by about 1" right and landed 5' past the basket.

I missed the five foot putt. It was very hot and humid and the disc just kind of stuck to my hand for a second after I released it.

I feel your pain.

OK, so my disc is lying literally TWO FEET from the basket. It's a DROP IN.

What happens? I pick up the disc from the ground and straighten up so that I can drop it into the basket, and I'm literally too close! The bottom edge of the disc hits the rim of the basket and the disc falls from my fingers onto the ground!

I stand there, blood pounding in my ears, colorful words in at least four languages (some of which have never been heard on this planet) coursing through my brain. I bend down and pick up the disc again - it's now ONE FOOT from the basket - and :wall: :doh: :wall: :doh: :wall: the SAME THING HAPPENS AGAIN!

So now I'm lying four, shooting five, from one foot away, and FINALLY I somehow keep it together long enough to sink it.

Da-a-a-a-a-a-ang!

This thread is like an open wound making me relive all the robberies I've had.

Concur

Don't pick up a disc touching the pole. Stand with your foot behind the disc and put another disc in the basket. You don't HAVE to use a mini as long as you don't move the disc you just threw.

Very sound advice. I'm sure I will not remember it when it matters.

A couple of years ago while playing my second ice bowl (then brand new Dretzka winter course) Alternate shot second round my bro parked it 3' away. my putt hit dead center and bounced straight back and landed at my feet.:doh: This sucked extra because the next hole is too far for me to reach but not for my bro. I made up for it by hitting three putts from 60 to 80 feet for birds afterwords:hfive:

Latest posts