• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
he better watch what he says around people come tourney time. In fact you wouldn't see me play any round for any money with him for that matter. :wall:

If your not tuning your discs you're missing out. I don't care what you do to your disc, you still have to execute to make good shots.

I started dyeing 3 months ago. Most of my discs that are not straight tye dyes are inspired by television or books. Attached is my Breaking Bad collection.

When I do a disc that is a character, I put a quote on the back. These are, from left to right, "Who is it you think you see?", "You're nothing to me but customers!", and "I AM THE DANGER!"

Attachments

• 0117141929a.jpg
    0117141929a.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 130
Has anyone ever just mixed flour with dye until its as thick as paint and painted straight on the disc? I tried it last night. Worked ok, but pretty light (although I'm not sure how well vibram soft takes dye since this was the first one ive done on that plastic). Reminds me of water color painting.

Attachments

• 0112142205.jpg
    0112142205.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 104
you boys are fools. its a perfectly legal disc. the dye is fresh, the stamp is not. get over yourselves

I really don't mean to be that guy, and it really doesn't matter in unsanctioned play. Heck, you could throw Aerobie rings on thousand foot holes, throw trash can lids, or throw discs with layers of stickers & paint all over, as long as the guys you're playing with don't mind. But they were just talking about sanctioned tournament play, per rule
801.02 Discs Used in Play
Last updated: Monday, December 24, 2012 - 18:18

1. Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards.
  2. A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.
  3. A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal.
  4. A disc that is questioned by another player or an official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director.
  5. A player who throws an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with Section 3.3 of the PDGA Competition Manual.
  6. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc. Each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw.

Hopefully we can get this thread back on track...

Here's one of my latest. Some of the colors blended a little more than I wanted them too but still came out pretty sweet nonetheless.

Here's the first disc I ever dyed. As you can tell, I was super sloppy and got dye smudged all over it, but other than that it turned out ok.

It's a Sirius Polaris LS 1.1, or well, it used to be. Now it's Super Serial.

Attachments

• 1024132136.jpg
    1024132136.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 61
Looks awesome. What type of dye for this one?

Same ones that I used on the others. Little mix up of prochemicals dyes and pylam. I got another sitting in the dye bed right now. My bros old yellow grip line spike disc. Hopefully comes out good. I have yet to dye grip line plastic using this technique. Might take a while to set. Probably gonna give it a full 24 hours in the bed at least.

Posted my 2 Nebula tries in that thread but liked this one so much, I figured I'd throw it in here, too. straight idye poly with no acetone added. old champ valk I had laying around:

ChampValkNebula_zps3a705e8c.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful champ valk Bmxpunk! Gives me a funny feeling in my pants :D I love valk's. Got a glow valk in a bed right now. Was a little reluctant to try the nebula on it but if I dont try I wont know.

Here's how my bros grip line spike turned out. Just rinsed it off. Pic doesnt do it much justice and their is no natural lighting since its almost midnight. Gives an idea though. Pretty happy with the results on this one. Loving this dish gel. I like your idea too about trying brainwaves with this stuff. I may give it a go as well if I can find some extra discs.

Glow Meteor for bravethrower43:

12037713126_67057e84f5.jpg

12037260274_cfd5cc9d53.jpg

Legacy Patriot:

12036879895_8b84a3972b.jpg

Legacy Icon Ghost:

12037706666_e1b8eaa345.jpg

Storm Trooper, Mace Windu edition -- Cryztal Buzzz:

12036872085_a98cdc761d.jpg

Those dyes are sick Bennett. I might have to get at ya again for some custom stencils. Love that Meteor and the Patriot a lot! :thmbup:

Here's one of my latest. A glow champ valk. Still glows well in the middle. The stamp didn't like the dish gel but still held up a little bit.

Haven't posted in a while

Hey all, haven't posted any discs in a while so I thought I would share some of the Christmas gift orders that I did this year. Although the last one has a Dynamic Discs logo on it, I did the dye job. One of the guys from Dynamic asked me to add the logo to the dartboard dye.

Attachments

• Maegan Jo.jpg
    Maegan Jo.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Leopard Dartboard.jpg
    Leopard Dartboard.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DD Dartboard.jpg
    DD Dartboard.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 98
A few more

Here are a few more that I've completed since Okthrowberfest.

Attachments

• Do or do not.jpg
    Do or do not.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Veritas Aequitas.jpg
    Veritas Aequitas.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20140118_223315.jpg
    IMG_20140118_223315.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 107
Status
Not open for further replies.