• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patially inspired by Mikko...Bringing back plastic bag/wrap dyeing in a big way!!! My Claymore is ready to throw!!! :D

claymoreTouchedUp_zps0028901d.jpg

Odyssey, I think you have out done your self this time!

Major AWESOMENESS!

I still want to get you to do a dye for me at some point. Just got to decide on a disc mold to grab and send to ya.

Do you prefer to do white or clearish plastic? The plastic would either be GL or Z, you have any preference plastic from Lat or Discraft?

Last edited:
That came out really nice Odyssey. Your choice of colors help the rainbow stamp pop a bit more.

Thanks man!

Odyssey, I think you have out done your self this time!

Major AWESOMENESS!

I still want to get you to do a dye for me at some point. Just got to decide on a disc mold to grab and send to ya.

Do you prefer to do white or clearish plastic? The plastic would either be GL or Z, you have any preference plastic from Lat or Discraft?

For sure man. Id be happy to do one up for ya!

White will take more color for sure...and just more variety of colors well. GL dyes wonderfully, Z as well...Ive also been pulling some nice colors off of white or opaque opto/lucid plastics lately.

After looking at so many great dyes in this thread, I decided to post one of mine. I'm fairly new to dyeing discs but I was happy with how this one came out...

MVP Nano, mini
picture.php

After looking at so many great dyes in this thread, I decided to post one of mine. I'm fairly new to dyeing discs but I was happy with how this one came out...

MVP Nano, mini
picture.php

Dan Howard inspired you so much to dye him on a disc! ;)

when do you guys prefer to use thickeners like clear laundry soap or the sodium alginate or whatever its called - i've not used any yet, but have stuck with mostly acetone based dyes, and want to broaden my color selection, was thinking of getting some pylam, but have to find a couple guys to go in with on it as it seems pretty pricy, and i totally messed up the samples they sent me.

when do you guys prefer to use thickeners like clear laundry soap or the sodium alginate or whatever its called - i've not used any yet, but have stuck with mostly acetone based dyes, and want to broaden my color selection, was thinking of getting some pylam, but have to find a couple guys to go in with on it as it seems pretty pricy, and i totally messed up the samples they sent me.

I think different people have experimented with different mediums in many different ways, and many of us have different results depending on what we were attempting and what we did differently... ;)

Here are my uses for what you named:

1. Sodium alginate - I currently only use this as a base only at the bottom of a plate to pull off those spacey like abstract style dyes.

2. Clear laundry detergent - (a) I mix this with straight dye powder and maybe a few drops of acetone and/or vinegar to create a nice smooth medium for either spin dyes or hand painting. (b) I mix this with pre-mixed water/liquid dyes and usually let them set a bit to thicken (in fact I keep my mixes stored in bins so they usually are the right consistency). This mix I typically use on top of the sodium alginate base or dish gel (as i have in the past) to pull off those dyes described in 1. I always found laundry detergent or dish soap to be too runny to work well as a base for me hence why I moved up in thickness for a base. I am still seeking a nice medium that will leave the stamp in tact.

Hopefully this helps give you an idea...a lot of this you just need to take a piece of advice and run with it. The rest you will end up learning through trial and error. Thats kind of what I do. These forums are a great place to start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts