• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with roggen and Bennett. While I would be hesitant to take on a commission on someone's used disc for fear of less than perfect results, I don't mind experimenting on my own scratched up throwers. Of course I will admit that I have discs that I bought and wanted to try but refuse to throw because I don't want to scuff them up before I get a chance to dye them.
Dye em and fly em!

It's been a while since I've posted any dyes. While I've not done anything special recently, I have been doing some simple spin jobs on my throwers.
image-2-1.jpg

Brian, how is it I've never seen that incredible stamp on the Saint Pro? You did a cool job of accenting it with the gentle fade on the spin dye.

All you guys have such an eye for great stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Finally got my vinyl cutter up and running, here are a few I churned out today. There's a few bleeds here and there, mostly due to the discs being beat or the stamps being exceptionally deep. The first three are Z Buzzz's, Macho Man is a champ Valkyrie.

IMG_20150118_140848.jpg

IMG_20150118_152848.jpg

IMG_20150118_161617.jpg

IMG_20150118_184045.jpg

Its been a while since i've posted anything...Here's my brothers new Enforcer...I got a few more stragglers ill be throwing up in here in the next few days.

TravsEnforcer_zpszd4ylbmk.jpg

Its been a while since i've posted anything...Here's my brothers new Enforcer...I got a few more stragglers ill be throwing up in here in the next few days.

TravsEnforcer_zpszd4ylbmk.jpg

What was your technique for avoiding the vinyl pulling parts of the stamp off?

Very good question...its like this :D

the reflective aluminum looking stamps like this for DD dont seem to peel off...latitude will almost always peel off or dissolve in shave cream baths.

the really sparkly DD stamps or party stamps usually will peel off some as well... So far from what ive tried these specific style DD stamps seem to be just fine. The solid color (non reflective) seem to be fine as well using vinyl...ive done several like this one with masking with no problems

Latitudes stamps seem the most fragile from my experimenting...Havent tried westside stamps as of yet...I haven't been throwing a lot of innova or dc lately so hard to say with those. I think a general rule of thumb with most discs is reflective stamps are more likely to peel back (DD ones being the exception) or dissolve in a dye while the solid colored ones can hang a little better.

Hope this helps...its very hit or miss as you can tell

Last edited:
First 2 Discs Ever Dyed

I figured my first ever DGCR post should be my first 2 attempts at ever dying a disc. These were daily flyers last year from my bag so considering the wear and my lack of experience I think they turned out okay. I have a stack of never thrown stuff I'll be tackling next, maybe trying my hand at a stencil in the near future as well.

Prodigy 400s M3 and 400g D2.

Attachments

• M3-Dye1.jpg
    M3-Dye1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 82
  • D2-Dye2.jpg
    D2-Dye2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 95
Champion Leopard:
16130788545_f6299f5c7d.jpg

Repeating what Odyssey said, it's hit or miss sometimes. The Alabama disc above turned out great and the stamp held perfectly with a direct vinyl mask. In the end, I think all you can really do is go for it and keep your fingers crossed.

Same with:
13244759264_a9340e6ee3.jpg

First ever stencil... the dragon that flew too close to the sun

Definitely needed more patience when smoothing out ALL of the air bubbles, no matter how small and a steadier hand making the cuts. I was using contact paper to transfer it to the disc and it was WAY more tacky than I had expected. Had a ton of trouble getting the vinyl to come off of the disc after dying as well, not sure what that was all about.

Either way, I'm totally hooked now, it looks like garbage, but that just means I need to get better!

Prodigy D3 400g, daily thrower.

2015-01-25.jpg

It was really beat up, already a hyzer flip machine for max D. I suppose maybe it does fly a little too close to the sun.

I think you got enough bleeds from the bubbles that it looks like you meant to do it. Maybe you could remask it and add a few more horizontal lines? I think it looks cool.

That's a pretty good idea, sometimes you have to make do with the happy accidents as the great Bob Ross would say.

That did turn out cool Broomerang. :clap:

Looks like the Dragon was stamped/branded on an old, cracked piece of wood, or it was on a beat up wooden shield or something ( sorry, rehashing my D&D days ).

Definitely one of a kind, just tell people you meant to do that. :thmbup:

Here's a fun one for my bag that i've been lagging on finishing...Finally got it done...It is of Quetzalcoatl. I was originally going for a much darker firey looking background dye but I used pylam and got really neon results (I should of known). Still came out pretty badass though I think.

Resized_Quetzacoatl_zpsviiopqr2.jpg

Repeating what Odyssey said, it's hit or miss sometimes. The Alabama disc above turned out great and the stamp held perfectly with a direct vinyl mask. In the end, I think all you can really do is go for it and keep your fingers crossed.

Same with:
13244759264_a9340e6ee3.jpg

I have found that when pulling vinyl off a disc where there is a foil stamp if you run the disc under hot water (Hot enough to hurt) and slowly peel the vinyl off the adhesive is loosened enough to not pull the foil too.

That's a sweet looking disc Odyssey. I really dig the lighter background with the darker center portion. Awesome representation of Quetzalcoatl as well, very unique.

That's a sweet looking disc Odyssey. I really dig the lighter background with the darker center portion. Awesome representation of Quetzalcoatl as well, very unique.

Thanks man. It was a fun one to complete. I've been wanting to do something Mayan for sometime now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts