• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Flak

I have faith that Hyzerbomb will make it a great bag after the initial feedback. Grip sent out a second run bag to the first run owners and let them keep the first run.

I will be getting one of these soon, my resistance level has gone from like 15% to 4%.

Weak.

Well, I guess I'll be the first to post em' up. Overall, the bag looks and feels great. There are a few small things that probably need to be addressed.

1. The bag is single stitched, but really needs to be double stitched. There are several small spots on the bag where the stitching is coming un-done and/or loose threads hanging loose. see pic: This is the right shoulder strap.

aae69816.jpg

2. The bottom of the bag seems to be pretty thin. I could see a thick layer of plasti-dip being applied in the very near future. Some rubber feet on the bottom would also be a great addition.

3. The zipper pocket for putters in the front only fits one putter, and it's a snug fit.

4. While the drink holders fit a 32 oz. naglene bottle perfectly, I am not able to fit a disc in the side pocket when the naglene bottle is in the drink holder. This could be remedied by using a taller, thinner bottle, but I love my naglene's.

5. After loading the top of the bag with a putter, towels, snacks, and other small things, the top of the bag sags forward a little. Not a huge deal though. When you have the bag on, it doesn't sag.

51736f7b.jpg

Other than those immediate things I noticed, it seem's like a nice upgrade from my Innova Disccarrier I've had for several years. I will give it a more thorough test this weekend during a tournament I'm playing.

Here are some more pics:

63723841.jpg

45bb5d0b.jpg

a6703140.jpg

Nice review. I suggest a thicker plastic piece behind the top part. Once it starts to sag, it will only get worse overtime and wear. A couple of plastic rails on the bottom would help with the bottom wear. Double stitching should be the standard for the bag. Just my .02.

Nice review. I suggest a thicker plastic piece behind the top part. Once it starts to sag, it will only get worse overtime and wear. A couple of plastic rails on the bottom would help with the bottom wear. Double stitching should be the standard for the bag. Just my .02.

This this this. I'd like to see a picture of the rain fly if anyone has the time to take one, pleaseandthankyou! Are all the rainflies black? Or do you match the colors with the customs?

My flak left st Paul sometime this afternoon. With any luck it will show tomorrow but Monday at the latest. Not bad for an April 18th delivery expectation.

Okay, going to try to put a little video up of my new Flak.

So far I like the bag, but there a few things that I see that need to be tweaked.

The putter you will see in the video is a Wizard. 18 discs in the main compartment. 9 mids and 9 drivers just for reference.

With a putter in the zippered putter pocket, the zipper becomes obsolete. No way to zip up the putter in the pocket.

Please forgive the fact that I am a redneck and I have an accent.

Lets see if this works.

thanks for the vid, very helpful, i was hoping it would be easy to get the putter in and out of the top pocket but maybe it will stretch a bit with age...

Got mine in today!!!! Took it straight to the course in Canton.

I will try to give an honest review for you guys once again.

Pros:
I like the look of it. It's a solid looking bag.

The black frame is really great, much better than I was expecting.

It fits more than the advertised 15-18 discs in the main compartments. I had 20 but I do carry more drivers and put my mid range discs on the side.

Fits 32oz drinks and had no problem getting my discs in and out with the side and a water unlike the poster above.

The top storage area is big enough to cram big jackets or several discs inside.

You can use the inside pocket of the top area as a second putter pocket if you set the zippers on the sides.

It feels so light on my back!!

The straps feel really good and solid.

Holds two pencils easily.

The two side pockets are the best thing about the bag! So easy to get those most used discs in and out.

Neutral
The main parts are double stitched (straps, handle, side pockets, and stool holder) but not all the seems are doubled and taped so this is a wash.

Even with the top fully loaded the top will sag a tad, but it does not effect the discs going in and out. Unlike the Revo bag. My buddies revo would sag down over the opening and make it impossible for discs to come in and out. This is a non issue but it does not look unappealing when it's loaded to the max with discs. So that is also a positive and negative...

Cons
There are more of suggestions than cons are complaints**
I can kinda feel the frame on my back. But it's still way better than a non backpack bag.

The small pockets are not taped and look messy on the inside.

The small pocket on bottom, what is it for? Minis?? I didn't try it out because I don't play tournaments often and never carry a mini. I don't think I will ever use it...

When you overload the bag like I did it's kind of hard to get the discs out that are on the far sides. But that could be me and my 15 drivers.

Overall
It's a great bag but does need some work and I think those things will be sorted out with time.

If I went in knowing everything I know about the the bag, I still would have bought it! It's going to work great and I feel if anything does go wrong HyzerBomb will take care of us.

I did own a first run Grip and hated it, but I did love love love my second run very much. In comparison the Grip is better quality but the Flak is a great bang for the buck. It's a cool bag and I do like it. It's great to have more options and I think I will stick to carrying my Atomic and Flak for the time being. I don't know why everyone would pay $200 for the generic black Grip bag when they could pay less and get the exact color they want. Just my opinion.

It's hard to give an in depth review with only one round played but I think HB did a fantastic job.

Thanks for the video! With the side pockets I don't really plan on using the top pocket for a putter. I find it easier to be able to grab the putter before I have to take the bag off, so that I'm not really concerned about. How easy is it to grab a disc from the main compartment?

My top putter pocket fits perfect and is not tight at all.
But what was the loop holder you have next to that zipper? It looks like that is blocking it from stretching open on the zipper.

Saw the video after my post but good stuff. My sides also don't fit as snug as yours, they are perfect for a buzzz.

It makes me a little hesitant as a consumer to hear that the dimensions and fit isn't uniform from bag to bag. I realize that they are handmade, and there will be some mm here and there difference, but a putter pocket that won't fit a putter and side disc slots that are too tight to hold a driver scares me. These issues may be exceptions and not rules, but the possibility of ordering a bag with these defects make me very weary.

I imagine that these details (the frame for sure since it will be replaced with an extruded piece) will be worked out over the next few production runs. I appreciate the objective reviews and opinions.

DiscOH: I think one reason why some would spend an extra $25 on the Grip is the professional level of fit and finish as well as the higher perceived quality of those bags. I am not a Grip owner, nor do I plan to be, but when you look at the two designs, there is a clear difference when you compare how polished they are and how detailed their designs are.