• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2010 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trey133 said:
riverboy said:
mzuleger said:
rusch_bag said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I was 1 stroke off of my first unofficial 1000 rated round. I shot a 975 and then a 996 for my tournament this past weekend and I left a lot of strokes out there.

I just check the stats for this tourney and apparently I should have played advanced. My 131 would have placed 3rd (1 strok behind Rusch) in advanced but was 12th in int?!?!? Makes no sense at all.
Int. is where baggers reside.

Sooooo true, I feel like the pdga should change some things up with Ratings caps.

I feel like 900 should be the cutoff for advanced. By the time someone is 935 rated, they have the capability to shoot lights out, Pro rated rounds, but just don't do it very consistently yet. Yet, in Int. it only takes one of those rounds usually to win... so the cream of the crop intermediate plays ALWAYS stay at the top.

Sorry to burst your bubble a little bit but we had 2 extra holes in addition to the 2 extra holes you had.

Edit - I also feel that something needs to be done with int and adv. I recently made the switch to adv and I am still placing very highly in adv. The cut off needs to be lower for sure. I have also noticed that at least around here, the int field is normally twice the size of adv and it is annoying to only play against 10-15 people when int has 20-30 and enough of them are just as good as the people in adv.

The good: Won the Duncan Hillclimber Women's Rec Division and even BEAT the Intermediate Women's Division winner by 20 strokes (I welcome any and all bagger comments!! ;))

The bad: 50 mph winds during the first round on day one caused me to shoot a 74 on the temp course, which made me want to rip my hair out (possibly my worst recorded score ever).

The ugly: Having to sleep in the same tent as my ex-boyfriend (who had an army cot....ass :cry: ) on the ground with only two blankets and a pillow during the 40 degree nights... At least I don't hold grudges...lol.

rusch_bag said:
Trey133 said:
riverboy said:
mzuleger said:
rusch_bag said:

I was 1 stroke off of my first unofficial 1000 rated round. I shot a 975 and then a 996 for my tournament this past weekend and I left a lot of strokes out there.

I just check the stats for this tourney and apparently I should have played advanced. My 131 would have placed 3rd (1 strok behind Rusch) in advanced but was 12th in int?!?!? Makes no sense at all.

Sooooo true, I feel like the pdga should change some things up with Ratings caps.

I feel like 900 should be the cutoff for advanced. By the time someone is 935 rated, they have the capability to shoot lights out, Pro rated rounds, but just don't do it very consistently yet. Yet, in Int. it only takes one of those rounds usually to win... so the cream of the crop intermediate plays ALWAYS stay at the top.

Sorry to burst your bubble a little bit but we had 2 extra holes in addition to the 2 extra holes you had.

Edit - I also feel that something needs to be done with int and adv. I recently made the switch to adv and I am still placing very highly in adv. The cut off needs to be lower for sure. I have also noticed that at least around here, the int field is normally twice the size of adv and it is annoying to only play against 10-15 people when int has 20-30 and enough of them are just as good as the people in adv.

Continuing to agree 100% on this, recently I played a tournament that had 11 advanced players, and around 30 intermediates.

The good: I shot -2 for the front nine of my home course for the first time ever.

The bad: I shot +4 on the back nine of the same round.

The ugly: My putting, I couldn't make a putt in the 30-40 foot range, I was making 50 footers and 20 footers like it was nothing, but all those birdie putts I had were in the 30-40 range and I was shanking them.

The good - I have been able to putt every day and play a few holes every once in a while for a few weeks. I also got 2 ctp's.

The bad - I got my work clothes muddy during a lunch DG session.

The ugly - I'm sore from putting :roll: and my putting game isn't where I want it to be.

rusch_bag said:
Trey133 said:
riverboy said:
mzuleger said:
rusch_bag said:

That's actually good to know because I played horribly... it would have been very sad if that score would have been competitive. Either way, I'm playing advanced from now on.

The Good: Played in dubs and filmed singles at the Dutch Open. Got par which in similar conditions was about 992 rated in singles the next day. My drives and lay ups were mostly good to great. My weight and finger strength training program helped a lot. I'm throwing farther on average and the best shots are nice.

The bad: My putting was frozen for the first 13-14 holes. So I leaned on my buddy there and I laid up or gave slight chances of getting in while making sure we were parked. I had one too good of a drive in dubs. There's a 200' island hole with a short lay up island and another at the basket with 43' uphill. I was feeling sure of myself so we changed operating mode from my buddy laying up then me driving to the opposite. I was trying to conserve his energy levels for the upcoming hilly portion of the course. I had made a high hyzer shot come from the right of the green island fading back to it in practice with a Roadrunner. I had rested more than I normally can and was warmed up well at that point and was ripping on drives. Naturally feeling good about my drives I was pumped at getting to flex some muscles. I did. Flipped the RR flat instead of hyzer and went far right pole height. My buddy was inches short of the short island. Another place where we missed our 1000 rated kinda round :-( A too good throw I wasn't expecting and a too soft throw neither of us was expecting. That's our punishment for cockiness and changing the operating mode. I think I might still have gone for the green even if the lay up was first and OB. Can't say for sure because of the wind sensibility might have won. It was windy ad chilly out there during competition. My arm is still half numb from the cold and having to be like a statue. Think I held my camera less balanced and more tiring way than possible just to reach the zoom more reliably. Dang I have small hands!

The ugly: About a dozen mistakes while filing being the only camera guy from our team makes it worse. Some US produced DVD type high zoom shots were equally shaky. The wind actually pushed me so hard at times that it showed up as me being tilted and the camera even more in my hands. Yuck. We left three easyish putts unconnected one of which was very easy. Would've made top ten without a portion of those which is normally realistic. Chalking it up to winter break and both of us having not fully recovered from flu. I seemed to have it worse than my doubles partner at least when putting was concerned.

The good: I'm starting to get to around 370-380' at least somewhat consistently.
The bad: They plowed the parking lot we'd been using, so now we won't have a place to throw for weeks (still around 2 feet of snow everywhere).
The ugly: The 1/3 inch gash I got in my Team USA Echo Katana. Looks like someone cut it with a knife. Probably hit a shard of glass on the parking lot.

Good - I won the Leave It to Beaver tournament at Beaver Dam today. I got to play with pointdisc both rounds so that was very good as well.

Bad - My first round was poor

Ugly - I missed a 10 foot putt to start the day on the first hole.

Good - Beat Jay Reading and Joe Rotan over the weekend along with some other solid local golfers

Bad - Left some easy strokes out there that could have given me 1st in Open

Ultra Ugly - After the final round I had to drop a duece something fierce so I take of to the restroom, when I get out I find out that our card was turned in before I could check it and my Score was incorrect causing me to drop from 2nd place and it cost me about $130 of winnings. (Lesson Learned the hard way, I will now always take the score on the 18th hole and will double/triple check my score before the card is turned in. I just didnt expect that with the Open guys)

Good: Putting practice is beginning to yield results. I have been very consistent inside the circle, made a 60' jump putt during a casual round, and brushed chains from about 80-100' during triples.

Bad: Scraped hell out of my leg scuttling under a fence to retrieve my favorite Buzzz after an extremely errant approach shot.

Ugly: Improving my grip strength has sent backhand accuracy down the toilet (again). Backhand drives have been ugly, ugly, ugly. I had so hoped to work out most of my major form flaws over the winter. Sigh.

Good: Started my first full year running leagues and had good turnout for the 1st night last night!
More good: 2'd the only tee I haven't 2'd on the course during leagues & someone hit an ace.
Bad: Lots of rain
Ugly: nothing

pd

The Good- My putting practice is paying off in tourney settings.

The Bad - I only brought Star plastic discs for drivers and it rained cats and dogs. By hole 10 I couldn't get a grip on anything and my game suffered horribly.

The Ugly - Ended up shooting 15 strokes over my usual round and haven't had the heart to check my placement.

Next time I think it is going to rain I will bring DX.

The Good: After not playing DG for two weeks I will get to play a round today after work.

The Bad: Not getting to play DG for two weeks.

The ugly: There is pine tree jizz everywhere in NC right now.

Good: had the first cleanup day at the TXST Campus course. leveled out some teeboxes, laying down more granite for them on friday(yeah the campus uses granite, hurts if you fall, but works). entire course was mowed and we started cleaning up all the new growth on the fairways. basically the university will give us any tools we need(weed eaters, saws, axes, shovels, even concrete!!!) to make improvements. stole the tree wall idea from Circle C and wove all the fallen/cut trees on the side of hole 5 where a lot of people throw for an easy 3(NOT ANY MORE, NOW YOU GOTTA THROW OVER MY WALL). next clean up day is this friday!!!

Bad: Couldnt put the new discatcher baskets in because some of the current baskets are cemented all the way in. probably have to wait and those up after our mini-tourney on saturday, which blows.

Ugly: I am beaten, bruised, and sore. Was swinging a big pick axe and stomper while fixing the teepads(lots of rocks!). Even today the disc feels like a piece of paper in my hand. reminds of when I used to lift weights before basketball practice in high school, the ball felt so light. i guess this could actually be good in the long run

Good: First round (sort of) this year!! Went to the closest course around here. There's still snow on the ground and the targets aren't up yet, but we took our homemade one. The temptation was just too much. Didn't play the whole 9 holes though, but still! Also my putting is infinitely better than last year.

Bad: Found out that there's lots of water under the snow, the wet way. Note to self: Gore-Tex doesn't keep your feet dry if your whole shoe is submerged.

Ugly: My driving. Really, truly horrible. Just... Disgusting. Upshots and fairway shots were dope though.

Good - new plastic waiting for me when I got back from holidays. threw exactly 4 discs for the first time in over a week this afternoon.
Bad - haven't played in over a week and its about 50 degrees F colder here than where I was. :cry:
Ugly - weather here is snow and rain for the next 4 days. :x

Good: Liking Buzzzes more and more as I throw them

Bad: Mostly played mediocre to poor today. Almost accomplished birdie-free across two rounds but messed up on hole 12 of the second one and parked it.

Good: I finally beat a z comet to perfection.

Bad: I threw it(and a second comet) into a murky, stinky pond with chunks of concrete in the bottom that love to scrape up the bottom of your foot if you aren't careful.

Ugly: After wading in and getting both those comets out of the pond on Wednesday, I threw it in again. Trying for
the exact same line I threw it in on before.

The Good: I shot 2 1000 rated rounds in a tournament, and almost had 3 (996).

The Better: Made final nine in Bowling Green

The Best: The weather

The Bad: Sunburn

The Ugly: Beer Shits

Status
Not open for further replies.