• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

It seems to me that prodigy is actually gaining quite a bit of traction. The pile of ams and lower level pros they signed last year are working out. When the best player on a local course is promoting prodigy people will start buying what he throws. I've watched it happen this year.

Prodigy discs just look cheap. Their designs are sub-par. Honestly the only thing I've enjoyed throwing of their is the M3 and that's just because it's a beadless Roc clone.

One reason she struggles with her 'consistency' is because she is muscling a 375' shot while 1000+ rated men are throwing a smooth mid.
As others have said, more power is needed, especially if you consider the courses she is playing for her rating.[/QUOTE

]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h1RD9YfpCNs

15:15 min in, 354 up hill. Plays about 420. Muscling?

Yeah Paige doesn't "muscle" a damn thing. Her form is near perfect and she doesn't have the bulk to be muscling discs :D

It seems to me that prodigy is actually gaining quite a bit of traction. The pile of ams and lower level pros they signed last year are working out. When the best player on a local course is promoting prodigy people will start buying what he throws. I've watched it happen this year.

Not sure what region you play. But it doesn't seem to be the case where I've played in throughout Oergon and California. But sounds like your mileage may vary.

You guys are telling me that the popular discs in my area aren't representative of the popular discs around the rest of the world?! Who knew? :rolleyes:

well in golf sub-par is a good thing, sooooooo ...

LOL! Good one. :thmbup:

The only Prodigy discs I see at my home course are the ones in my own bag. But that may change as the PIAS stores in the metro area are starting to carry more Prodigy discs. This time last year, I couldn't have found a Prodigy disc in a PIAS to save my life (all Innova and some Discraft). Now I can in several stores.

I do like the Prodigy plastics, especially 400G, and as others try Prodigy IMHO they'll give Prodigy discs a shot. But Prodigy does seem to cater to the pros first and then the general population, the reverse of what Innova does. So we'll see what happens now that Paige Pierce is going elsewhere.

Side note: I agree with Big Country that Valarie Jenkins Doss deserves a production sig disc from Innova, and then some. The Starfire and TL are two potential options there (hint hint to Innova). I've also heard a rumor that Val and Nate might jump to Trilogy (or at least the Lat64 part of that), but it was just a rumor, so time will tell....

Leaving Prodigy would seem to be more complicated than any other sponsor since the pros who signed on early appear to have gotten an ownership stake as part of their package.

Just because you leave doesn't mean you lose your ownership stake. I know for sure that one ex-original Prodigy player still has his share. Owership is ownership in the USA.

Just because you leave doesn't mean you lose your ownership stake. I know for sure that one ex-original Prodigy player still has his share. Ownership is ownership in the USA.
I agree. However, it creates an internal conflict if you sign on to promote a competitor while still hoping your stock does well.

Not sure what region you play. But it doesn't seem to be the case where I've played in throughout Oergon and California. But sounds like your mileage may vary.

That's pretty much the whole point I was trying to make. In regions that have low level pros killing courses with prodigy, the masses follow

Just because you leave doesn't mean you lose your ownership stake. I know for sure that one ex-original Prodigy player still has his share. Owership is ownership in the USA.

It's certainly possible that leaving the team means their shares can be bought back by the majority shareholders. In fact in order to avoid conflict of interest this seems likely.

LOL! Good one. :thmbup:

The only Prodigy discs I see at my home course are the ones in my own bag. But that may change as the PIAS stores in the metro area are starting to carry more Prodigy discs. This time last year, I couldn't have found a Prodigy disc in a PIAS to save my life (all Innova and some Discraft). Now I can in several stores.

I play on the college club team and most of the best players throw only Prodigy. My guess is since Prodigy is based only about 15 minutes from the college, some of the really good players may have gotten in on the ground floor. Maybe not with getting paid but possibly free stuff. They then passed on the love to other players on the team over the years. Although most of the guys that came on last year did not throw much Prodigy and none of the ones that do tried any sales pitch or anything. I guess I should ask at some point out of curiosity if nothing else. And being on the opposite side of the country, I never see any Legacy discs except for one shipment at a local PIAS but I don't think they ever got a second. So long story short, in Georgia, Prodigy is behind only to Innova, Discraft, and probably also Trilogy (which our two best pros from the state now throw), but definitely bigger than the other companies.

Colorado is weird. You'd think Vibram would be huge here...it just seems like that kind of place, and Mitch Sonderfan is here.

But its like all Trilogy, all the time. There are lots of new players who dont even realize that "Trilogy" isnt the brand. Im certainly the only one I see throwing Legacy and Axiom. Its rare to see Discraft, too.

I am seeing slightly more Discmania due to the Eagle McMahon influence, but not much.

Theres so many good Colorado local pros, too...what are these big companies waiting for?

I see more Legacy than Prodigy or MVP in my local rounds.

Awesome!

Colorado is weird. You'd think Vibram would be huge here...it just seems like that kind of place, and Mitch Sonderfan is here.

But its like all Trilogy, all the time. There are lots of new players who dont even realize that "Trilogy" isnt the brand. Im certainly the only one I see throwing Legacy and Axiom. Its rare to see Discraft, too.

I am seeing slightly more Discmania due to the Eagle McMahon influence, but not much.

Theres so many good Colorado local pros, too...what are these big companies waiting for?

I see a descent variety in Denver. Trilogy, innova/Discmania, discraft, and gateway (putters) are well repped by the general population. Having 3 solid DG stores in town helps alot. I do see MVP consistently but no where near as much as back in the Chicago area. And Legacy does pretty well there (terry Miller helps alot with that) but rare to see here. You do see a handful of devot legacy players tho.
There are fantastic local pros everywhere you go.

I play on the college club team and most of the best players throw only Prodigy. My guess is since Prodigy is based only about 15 minutes from the college, some of the really good players may have gotten in on the ground floor. Maybe not with getting paid but possibly free stuff. They then passed on the love to other players on the team over the years. Although most of the guys that came on last year did not throw much Prodigy and none of the ones that do tried any sales pitch or anything. I guess I should ask at some point out of curiosity if nothing else. And being on the opposite side of the country, I never see any Legacy discs except for one shipment at a local PIAS but I don't think they ever got a second. So long story short, in Georgia, Prodigy is behind only to Innova, Discraft, and probably also Trilogy (which our two best pros from the state now throw), but definitely bigger than the other companies.

I have noticed the Prodigy uptick as well, but I think that Innova and Trillogy are still 1-2 around here. The only Discraft I see much of are Buzzes usually in the hands of old school players.

Personally I don't dislike Prodigy but I feel like none of their discs are the best diac in their respective slots.

I've also heard a rumor that Val and Nate might jump to Trilogy (or at least the Lat64 part of that), but it was just a rumor, so time will tell....
Love when this kind of **** just gets throw out...

I heard a rumor that Nate is going to be loyal to Discraft because he doesn't want to roll his 401k over and really wants that gold watch plus they let him drink IPA's on the job and I also heard a rumor that Val doesn't cry and whine about signature discs because she realizes division protected World Championships are glorified 'participation awards.'

I mean its just a rumor but time will tell.

LOL at this Paige stuff.

Crispin said on Facebook "Prodigy is still her disc sponsor.....she is a friend and HSCo is sponsoring her w/ softgoods for the year as a gear sponsor."

So page after page after page (pun intended) of her throwing DD / Triology was, like most of this thread, wrong.

Latest posts