• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Val is a great putter but Ohn might be better in the circle.

OK, everyone discussing "what women players can do" (and I was guilty, too) are threadjacking. If we want to start that thread, somebody can take it to a new thread.

Val needs to get a Goddamn signature disc for her many World titles or she should go to a sponsor that appreciates here.

Just my two cents.

That's a bummer I always enjoyed it when in the area.

Cale I can't see leaving, his shop is all based on Prodigy and it would probably be hard to start over.

No way. Ditching prodigy might cause a slight speed bump. I grantee he's in every manufacturers good graces. If anything it would help going to a different brand people actually like.

Leaving Prodigy would seem to be more complicated than any other sponsor since the pros who signed on early appear to have gotten an ownership stake as part of their package.

Leaving Prodigy would seem to be more complicated than any other sponsor since the pros who signed on early appear to have gotten an ownership stake as part of their package.

We've seen a few of the early in pros leave now. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a buy out clause in their contract. And you never know maybe prodigy bought all of their shares out and that's why some have left. That would certainly make it less profitable to stay.

Ehh, buyouts are pretty common all through the business world. It would certainly be interesting to see how they're valuing their shares and therefore what their buyouts consist of. But I'm sure that info will never see public light.

Theoretically, if the value of the company is falling then you'd want a buyout sooner than later. So the worst thing to do is be the last pro standing and have your shares worth nothing.

Last edited:
Unless of course you think the company will recover. Then you'll get better returns on your consolidated equity. I guess it's all a bit of a gamble.

I'd have to say for some of the long time Prodigy pro's, their buyouts recently, if that's what happened, would be pretty lucrative, since surely Prodigy is better now than they were before Big Jerm, Paige, etc. At least, I would like to think so.

I see a few more people on the courses throwing MVP rather than prodigy. And they have zero pros! Lulz

Yup, usually find MVP discs on the course pretty often, never come across a Prodigy down here.

I see a few more people on the courses throwing MVP rather than prodigy. And they have zero pros! Lulz

A few is underestimating it. I'd say MVP has Prodigy 5-1 or better for people carrying their discs. MVP has the cool factor over prodigy. Better names and cooler looking. Prodigy would have to change their entire marketing strategy.

So those top level stacked pro lineup doesn't seem to be bringing the sales or visibility. At least not anywhere I've played?

I'd have to say for some of the long time Prodigy pro's, their buyouts recently, if that's what happened, would be pretty lucrative, since surely Prodigy is better now than they were before Big Jerm, Paige, etc. At least, I would like to think so.

Well they probably didn't pay anything for their shares. So percentage wise any dollar value return is infinitely lucrative.

Valuation is all about future expectations though, not the value of current assets, past sales etc. So even if they have more assets now then they did previously their valuation could very well be lower.

For instance, if at inception they thought they were eventually going to be bigger than Innova and now they think they're indefinitely going to be a much smaller portion of the market than Innova then the valuation of the company very well may be significantly lower.

A lot of factors come into play though. That's ELI5 at best.