• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I feel like this is a down year for players switching sponsors.

The best bits of news we have related to the topic are Paige Pierce being non committal to Prodigy and Innova thinking of dropping Patrick Brown because he has had a few outbursts.

There are going to be big announcements made in January, just as Chuck said.

Please don't oversimplify PB being dropped (allegedly) to a 'few outbursts'. Those are just the bits that make their way to the publics attention.

No matter where she goes and what brand she chooses it won't affect her game much.

Everybody is making great discs these days!

And yeah it would be nice to see Alex G. go out to the desert with some blizzard bosses and see if he can push the distance record. My guess is he won't and even if he did he wouldn't break 800.'

The bad boy vs. Clean cut thing is always an interesting idea. But Nikko really cleaned up his act this year, so who does that honestly leave? I cant think of any true "bad boys" or girls.

It would have to be more like "eccentric" vs. Clean cut. Scott Stokely could be the Masters headliner. Nikko shouldnt be part of such a team, because he needs to march to the beat of his own drum. So you could Gregg Barsby in there. I think him and Stokely would get along great. I dont know who you could add for women, though.

You could possibly throw Catrina in there for her off-course indiscretion(s) and being the only one advocating against delaying round start times when Hokom had her accident in Pittsburgh.

Meh. I see no need to market disc golf like its 1980's era pro wrestling with 'faces' and 'heels'. If a company thinks that a player can help promote their brand, they should sponsor them.

The vetting process for sponsoring players does not seem very comprehensive for dg as the factory sponsored teams are very diverse except for Prodigy who seem to go with "clean cut" responsible people.

LOL

Prodigy had Nikko up front, Big Jerm (who now is great, but at the time was very much a hot head), the whole Paul Cam Cat thing and Ricky (same thing as Jerm).

These companies vet the players they want way more than you think. But to say that Prodigy is the one setting the example was one of the most hillariously wrong things I've ever read on here. And that says something.

I would agree, except for Ricky W. this year. Just changed from prodigy to lat 64 and had his best year yet

"bad boy" types (e.g., Locastro, Barsby, etc.)

Barsby a bad boy??? He's always cracking jokes and giggling. Just because he's a long-haired hippie does not quite qualify him as a "Bad Boy." I just want to give him a hug! Goofy bastard, he is.

It would depend on what you define making someone a bad boy. Is it attitude? then no Barsby wouldnt be a bad boy. is it actions on the course? nope still not. looks? nope neo-hippies are not bad boys. what about actions off the course? that one might qualify him as one.

and Prodigy has been a mess since day 1. they didnt go after clean cut players, they tried to go after everyone at the top of the game, regardless of their character on and off the course. even with their special pro deals they cant keep their best players.

to me Lat64 has been the most selective with their cast. Their main team only really has one questionable character, Colglazier, and thats only based on a rumor that I personally never saw confirmed. Some may say Feldberg but he is a fantastic ambassador for the sport, and the few times I have met him hes been more than a quality character.

Dana Vicich is leaving Prodigy, it collided with him being a representative for DiscGolfPark US. He has no new sponsor, watch the latest Smashboxx podcast for source.

RE: Paige. This was posted on /r/discgolf:

[–]BriGuyFive (L|R)BH/LHFH # 61692 - DFW, TX 5 points 2 hours ago
She went with Lat64. Played a tournament out in Tlyer TX, she was there rocking all Lat.

There was nothing bad girl about not wanting the round delayed. Rules are rules

I agree. Read the thread where it was discussed if you don't believe me. The women at the event didn't really seem too thrilled to be around her though in some of the footage.

I agree. Read the thread where it was discussed if you don't believe me. The women at the event didn't really seem too thrilled to be around her though in some of the footage.

I've never got the impression that was confind to the world's incident. Honestly I've always gotten the vibe that the rest of the women have never liked her. Just my personal observation tho.

And Christ can we please not talk about FPO world's again? I think we beat that dead horse across ebough threads already

RE: Paige. This was posted on /r/discgolf:

[–]BriGuyFive (L|R)BH/LHFH # 61692 - DFW, TX 5 points 2 hours ago
She went with Lat64. Played a tournament out in Tlyer TX, she was there rocking all Lat.

This was posted as a response:

"[–]gerhaje1 12 points 7 hours ago*

FALSE!

I actually played skins with her during that tournament as her partner. The Piney Woods Open. I spoke with her while we played our six holes and was with her the whole time; she threw only Prodigy discs and even was sporting their bag. I asked her at one point if she lost her Grip Equipment sponsorship because Prodigy made their own bag and she confirmed it. She didn't have any Lat64 gear on and threw all Prodigy plastic. LINK TO PICTURES"

Interesting if it´s true about losing her Grip Equipment sponsorship.

I noticed dana was the Illinois representative for the new disc golf park company.

my first two thoughts were :

is this going to rub his current sponsors the wrong way working for jussi's company?

is discmania grooming him for sponsorship?

Latest posts