• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

But then it wouldn't be a Comet... or an Envy.

That was said somewhat tounge-in-cheek....

although there is zero reason, other than trade secert of how Ti is blended, why MVP could not make a Ti Envy...love me some Ti

For a science experment, I would love to see the effects of moving the weight more towards the rim on a Comet...perhaps do it like the old Champ blizzard with the bubbles only in the flight plate

Last edited:
Would you though? Please explain why. All things being equal, why would shifting the weight change speed? Stability i can see, but im not following logic on speed change.

While a rim weighted disc will stay stable longer (NOT overstable), they also take more energy to bring the rotation up to speed. According to the throwers normal spin to speed ratio, this may make the disc feel 'faster'. For someone(like me) whom throw with more spin than speed, they should get a longer streighter flight with the same launch speed.

This is ignoring factors such as how the weighting agents affect the plh.

This is all sound physics, but how this affects each thrower will give said throwers different results.....in theory at least.

Would you though? Please explain why. All things being equal, why would shifting the weight change speed? Stability i can see, but im not following logic on speed change.

Well let me rephrase that. Shifting the weight to the rim of the disc (versus the flight plate) allows for more potential speed. Will require more horsepower (arm speed) to achieve said flight speed, but the potential for more speed exists.

Think of it like a spinning wheel we all played on as a kid. More weight (more people) on the outside allows the object to spin faster longer, but requires more horsepower to get there.

If it was just you playing on this by yourself, you'd only get it to spin so fast. But if your buddy joined you, all that extra weight made that thing spin really fast! I remember loading one of these up with like 6 of us, and it spun for what seemed like forever.

Same as adding weight to the outside area of the disc. If it spins faster for a longer period of time, it's going to go farther.

You poor millennials who grew up with safe spaces and helmets might not have gotten a chance to play on one :D

spinning-wheel-ms-judi.jpg

This is one of the theories in which why overmolds might very well eventually be a superior type of disc object, because you can really manipulate the weight distribution. I wouldn't be surprised if a decade from now overmolds become really popular once the R & D plays itself out.

Well let me rephrase that. Shifting the weight to the rim of the disc (versus the flight plate) allows for more potential speed. Will require more horsepower (arm speed) to achieve said flight speed, but the potential for more speed exists.

Think of it like a spinning wheel we all played on as a kid. More weight (more people) on the outside allows the object to spin faster longer, but requires more horsepower to get there.

If it was just you playing on this by yourself, you'd only get it to spin so fast. But if your buddy joined you, all that extra weight made that thing spin really fast! I remember loading one of these up with like 6 of us, and it spun for what seemed like forever.

Same as adding weight to the outside area of the disc. If it spins faster for a longer period of time, it's going to go farther.

You poor millennials who grew up with safe spaces and helmets might not have gotten a chance to play on one :D

This is one of the theories in which why overmolds might very well eventually be a superior type of disc object, because you can really manipulate the weight distribution. I wouldn't be surprised if a decade from now overmolds become really popular once the R & D plays itself out.

Yes, but how many pros are going to change sponsors because of this? Oh wait, I thought this was the pros changing sponsors thread. Sorry. :D

Oooh burn. Actually, they are still around and kids are still eating sh#@ on them. Probably worse than ever. I recently saw an instagram video of kids using a motorcycle to speed one up. It was going so fast one of the kids riding it didn't tuck in tight enough so his upperbody/head was sticking out and couldn't pull back in. The kids not riding it had to duck and use their feet to stop it. Looked insane.

I threw a friends Octane recently and could tell the weight distribution made a difference. It went further than my similar overstable drivers. But I'm not rushing to get change my bag or anything.

I threw a friends Octane recently and could tell the weight distribution made a difference. It went further than my similar overstable drivers. But I'm not rushing to get change my bag or anything.

Me neither. But it is something to ponder. We haven't reached some mythical peak in which the discs that exist today are the end game in disc technology & improvement, not even close.

Surprised this is still being argued over...

Oooh burn. Actually, they are still around and kids are still eating sh#@ on them. Probably worse than ever. I recently saw an instagram video of kids using a motorcycle to speed one up. It was going so fast one of the kids riding it didn't tuck in tight enough so his upperbody/head was sticking out and couldn't pull back in. The kids not riding it had to duck and use their feet to stop it. Looked insane.

That reminds me of this...