• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Aren't a couple of their minis worth some money?

Oh yeah, like the ones that look like ninja stars or feet. I think some of the first run of glow "plastic" was pretty sought after. Before I left the FB, I was part of Vibram's collector page and I just didn't get it.

Last edited:
Does anyone else find it awkward/uncomfortable that DD sponsored players, feel the need to ask the fan club to give them used discs, so they can figure them out. Or that they raffle off Innova discs to raise $. Thoughts?

I think it was Big Jerm that was asking people for old Champ Eagle Ls when he went back to Innova so this doesn't seem much weirder to me. There's a lot of folks with lots of unwanted discs out there, never hurts to ask. The raffling off of Innova doesn't surprise me either, Innova is so superfluous that their merch is practically accepted currency. Any player worth his salt is going to have a small stockpile of common Innova discs just from player's packs and tourney winnings alone.

I don't think it's the bolded. There are plenty of discs at the warehouse, enough to supply each team member just fine.

This issue is that each player is only allotted so many free discs per year as part of their sponsorship. If the player is new to the brand, not too familiar with the line, and has no discs of his own yet, stocking his bag plus back-ups with that allotment may not leave him much wiggle room to experiment. And if he guesses wrong or just doesn't click with a disc or two initially, he might have to start buying (at a discount, but still buying) discs to find the one(s) he needs.

That was the case for me when my sponsorship started. First I borrowed from friends in order to try some stuff out, but I also did a ton of research trying to best match what I had been throwing before making my first allotment order to fill out my bag. Some worked out, some didn't. I ended up spending some money to continue trying discs before my deal was renewed and I got a new allotment to work with.

Maybe these new pros should take advantage of the DD Buy Back Program they have going on....

I have never met a good disc golfer that threw any Vibram plastic.
I'm not trying to be a wang, but that is a fact.

HA!

As for "does anyone throw Vibram?"

I know one dude. But he's not a pro.

I don't think it's the bolded. There are plenty of discs at the warehouse, enough to supply each team member just fine.

This issue is that each player is only allotted so many free discs per year as part of their sponsorship. If the player is new to the brand, not too familiar with the line, and has no discs of his own yet, stocking his bag plus back-ups with that allotment may not leave him much wiggle room to experiment. And if he guesses wrong or just doesn't click with a disc or two initially, he might have to start buying (at a discount, but still buying) discs to find the one(s) he needs.

That was the case for me when my sponsorship started. First I borrowed from friends in order to try some stuff out, but I also did a ton of research trying to best match what I had been throwing before making my first allotment order to fill out my bag. Some worked out, some didn't. I ended up spending some money to continue trying discs before my deal was renewed and I got a new allotment to work with.

It's also a matter of needing some beat in plastic.

I still have a feeling we'll see Madison Walker move to DD to join Paige. She hasn't posted anything about being part of Team Innova for 2018 (where everyone and their mother has already). Perhaps they're still working out a deal? I hope she stays with Innova but have a strong feeling she'll be throwing DD :/

Also, Cynthia from Champs vs Chumps (Kansas City Edition) signed with DD.

Drew's response on why he left DD.

4ca6rDT.png

As seen here https://www.facebook.com/groups/trilogyfanpage/permalink/1531665073617058/

Does anyone else find it awkward/uncomfortable that DD sponsored players, feel the need to ask the fan club to give them used discs, so they can figure them out. Or that they raffle off Innova discs to raise $. Thoughts?

IMO it's a non-issue. I think we're just really close to the source(s) so we're more aware of this within disc golf, but it happens in all sports. Some NFL players sell their old gear when they get traded, or they sell their limited edition jerseys (like the playoff ones w/patches). NCAA athletes sell their old gear once they go pro, etc. We just don't see that stuff every day because we're don't have the same access.

(forgot to quote the post) but I doubt it's a supply issue at the warehouse. These companies are sending discs to try out way before the contracts are signed. It's pretty much what this thread relies on - people with knowledge of those kinds of ahead-of-time interactions between players and (soon to be) new sponsors.

Honestly no. It can take a long time to break in a disc and see how it works at different levels of break in. So asking other players for discs that would help speed that up sounds like a great idea.

Just like selling their old discs. Disc Golf is not a high paying job anything disc golf related you aren't using for the game probably has little to no value to the player so they need to cash out from the old inventory stock of a previous company. Makes sound sense to me.

IMO it's a non-issue. I think we're just really close to the source(s) so we're more aware of this within disc golf, but it happens in all sports. Some NFL players sell their old gear when they get traded, or they sell their limited edition jerseys (like the playoff ones w/patches). NCAA athletes sell their old gear once they go pro, etc. We just don't see that stuff every day because we're don't have the same access.

Reminds me of Eddie Lacy's garage sale...

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/5/6/15568654/eddie-lacy-garage-sale-nfl-green-bay-packers-fans

Good on Drew for leaving because he felt the discs were holding him back, I feel like theres not enough people like that in the sport. Hes not playing for the money, hes playing because he wants to win.

Lol at any serious player saying XYZ brand is holding their game back due to molds from any of the major makers with a full lineup.

Straight laughable. And dumb to not play for the money if you're doing DG as a job but cant win.

Latest posts